Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2 - 1 Reading - Post Match Views

1235»

Comments

• Options
    What  a a great night for the Grumpy family sat behind Saint Chris in the West Lower.

At times we were carving Reading to pieces. Apart from the sheer joy if it, I thought there were some useful lessons....

Positive:
    1. Green has to start. Real class.
    2. Hamer is more than a match for the fat boy.
    3. Waggy is a much better striker than he is a winger.
    4. Mambo is an excellent prospect
    5. We must NOT sell Benson
    6. Jason is not too old.
    7. Bover is talented but needs to eat some meat pies and get down the weights room.
    8. Pritchard was very exciting.

Negatives:
    1. We still can't defend corners well enough.
    2. Francis can be brilliant and awful within the same breath.
    3. Doc is going to get sponsorship from Age Concern if he goes on much longer.
    4. Hughes is just awful. McOxo without the ability to pass 5 yards and an even worse haircut.

• Options
    Great feeling walking up Floyd road last night after watching that.Chris sure has a selection problem now,would love to see Waggy & Green in the same side. I am looking forward to watching these players again in the next round, surely we must win the JPT.
  • Options

are the goals online (free) anywhere?

www.101greatgoals.com, or the BBC website from tomorrow
  • Options
    Had there been a competition I am unaware of for the longest ever posts in this thread?
  • Options

I thought there were a couple of good partnerships last night that were worth mentioning.  Mambo and Doherty.  We have given Doherty a lot of stick over his time at the valley,but I thought he was responsible for a lot of the good work done by mambo, watching him through the game until he went off, Doherty was coaching and directing him constantly talking to him, when he went off, mambos positioning got a little more ragged (maybe as Reading pushed on, but he was getting less coaching).

The other partnership which I though worked well was benson Green and I know we know that but they played really well off each other and set up chances for each other.  Personally I am more nd more convinced that Benson should stay and be on the bench.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    What  a a great night for the Grumpy family sat behind Saint Chris in the West Lower.

At times we were carving Reading to pieces. Apart from the sheer joy if it, I thought there were some useful lessons....

Positive:
    1. Green has to start. Real class.
    2. Hamer is more than a match for the fat boy.
    3. Waggy is a much better striker than he is a winger.
    4. Mambo is an excellent prospect
    5. We must NOT sell Benson
    6. Jason is not too old.
    7. Bover is talented but needs to eat some meat pies and get down the weights room.
    8. Pritchard was very exciting.

Negatives:
    1. We still can't defend corners well enough.
    2. Francis can be brilliant and awful within the same breath.
    3. Doc is going to get sponsorship from Age Concern if he goes on much longer.
    4. Hughes is just awful. McOxo without the ability to pass 5 yards and an even worse haircut.

Negative point number 3. The Doc is only 31. Hardly getting on eh? Euell will be getting saga sponsorship before the Doc does!

Negative point number 4. Hughes probably did more in one game than McOxo did in a whole season.

• Options
    Seems to be a big 'marmite' factor with hughes atm
  • Options
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14658028.stm

Highlights now up on BBC website
    Good running by Benson for his goal
  • Options
    Maybe we should have gone with Mambo and Doc as the centre backs last season. I thought The Doc really helped Yado and the responsibility brought out the best in him and Mambo definitely has all the physical aces and a decent touch too I thought.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hughes is a full back who played "out of position" in Central Midfield and did a job for the team. Comparing him to McOxo is laughable.
  • Options
    sounds like we're a bit short in central midfield terrier resources then?
  • Options
    sounds like we're a bit short in central midfield terrier resources then?
    Isn't Alonso more about breaking up play and getting things moving though? Admittedly not a scrapper but he can do a job. Pritchards full of beans too, with a bit of coaching he could do the terrier thing pretty well I'd have thought...
  • Options
    Watched the extended highlights on player just now and enjoyed it nearly as much as I did on tuesday evening.

Pete Finch: If you are reading this, Hats off to you for the (unintentional?) pun: "As Doherty walks off the pitch gingerly". Nearly choked on my cornflakes. :-D
  • Options
    Watching the highlights, Bover looks a class act!People may not think he is ready, but what a player to bring on if we needed that extra spark!Looks a cracking little player!!
  • Options
    Hughes is a full back who played "out of position" in Central Midfield and did a job for the team. Comparing him to McOxo is laughable.
    agree, and I don't think he was that bad anyway
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Just watched the extended highlights on player.........looked a fantastic match...lots of neat and quick passing.....players wanting the ball.......Green's crosses and corners were exceptional......cant remeber the last time (if ever) we had a squad of 22 players that were this strong........looking forward to the season even more now (if thats possible).
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    "Reading were outplayed for large periods in both matches against
    opposition they would have brushed aside last season when McDermott was
    guiding the club to the Championship play-off final."

Most of our Tuesday's side were not playing for Charlton last season.
    Anyway, it was Reading who were brushed aside.

Someone tell Mr McDermott that.
  • Options
    Watched full game on player. Thought people were bit harsh on Hughes, couple of misplaced passes in first half, bit of a dodgy header at the end but solid otherwise. Liked Hamer's kicks, much lower tradjectory than Eliott's.