Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 2 - 1 Reading - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Terrific performance. Probably the best League cup tie I have seen for many years and at a discount! Fast flowing football. Very skillful. We were too quick for Reading who were over-run at times. Having said that it could have been 3 - 3 after ten minutes.The big surprise for me was Mambo, who played like Richard Rufus. Evina impressed me more than Wiggins. Pritchard was equal MOM with Green, who will soon be my favourite player as he plays with such zest.
    On the way home a Reading fan enthused about Benson. I said he was our third striker and he was surprised and wished he was in the Reading team. The point being that Green and Benson really read each others game. Benson looked very confident tonight. Oh, and our crowd were buzzing. None of that negative stuff that can sometimes freeze the players.
  • Options
    Pritchard man of the match for me. Since Pardew was manager we've signed a handful of players from lower/non-league and this is the first time I've been impressed by one of them. Would rather not write off players based on friendlies or their first start but I didn't like the look of Dickson, Fleetwood and McLeod the first time I saw them. No surprise at all when they didn't make it with us. Likes of Dean Sinclair and Ross Worner weren't great either.

It was too early to say Pritchard was good enough based on Welling and cameos v Den Bosch and Bournemouth but he really did play very well tonight. A full 90 mins in a  competitive game gave him the chance to show what he is all about. He worked hard, looks confident, fit and quick, got some good tackles in and burst forward into space when we attacked. Kept possession and looked decent enough on the ball. Not big but competes well in the air as well as on the floor. Seems for once we have a signing from non-league with a football brain, the fitness and the drive. Very promising start for him, was even close to scoring with his lob cleared off the line.

Bover's debut was similar to Harriott's, a few mistakes but there's hopefully something there. Big step up from him to be playing a Championship side so did well enough. Left midfield might not even turn out to be his best position.

I'm not a fan of Francis but never thought he was completely hopeless either. Saw a few of the type of mistakes that we've seen from him in the past but was no worse than anyone else tonight. Good cross for the goal as well.

Mambo was solid enough, would like to see him get a run of games out on loan and show he can be consistent. He's always going to win headers and wasn't put under too much pressure.

Evina was ok, need to see more of him, wouldn't drop Wiggins for him yet. Green carried on showing what he's about, getting plenty of crosses in and having a few shots from long range. Hamer did well enough.

Hughes made some mistakes but did ok. Didn't get forward at all, something Powell probably doesn't want from a CM in league games, but that wasn't a problem tonight.

Enjoyed that tonight and as said the first XI have some good competition.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reports everyone. I'm loving reading them.

Sounds like we've got our proper Charlton back :)

Wish I'd gone to the game now!
  • Options
    I was at the game & must admit when I heard the team I though we were going to be on the end of a drubbing........how wrong I was !!! I can't believe that that almost our reserve team out there tonight. Francis looks a completly different player to the one that played last year & I would have him in the 1st team over Solly (mainly due to his height) - Mambo has matured and now looks a good back-up should our 1st choice centre halves be out and Evina should be pushing Wiggins soon too !! Green has to start on Saturday & I would have no problem with Pritchard replacing Dale Stevens neither !!

Roll on the rest of the season - the good times are just around the corner !!
  • Options
    francis did really well, danny green over waggy for me, adds so muuch more in dead ball situuations, and pritchard looks a right steal. looked as if this wasn't a good enough level for him. 
  • Options
    Despite the obvious competition between the 2 players, Waggy & green seemed to enjoy playing alongside each other, sharing a joke when Green played a 1-2 back to waggy (unintentionally) off his heel which almost ended in a goal.
  • Options
    No mention of Alonso, so I guess he didnt play. What's the story with him, Did CP sign him or the board?
  • Options
    No mention of Alonso, so I guess he didnt play. What's the story with him, Did CP sign him or the board?
    He got injured in the pre-season friendly to Carshalton (I think?) and hasn't fully recovered.
  • Options
    It was a really enjoyable game, and we played some lovely football.

We were excellent for 75 minutes, but then tiredness crept in. I guess this was understandable given it was some of these players' first start of the season. Mambo was excellent against Manset. Reading did seem to play into his hands a bit - if you play balls in the air, of course Mambo and Doherty and going to win almost everything. One thing though that was slightly concerning is that I thought we were significantly weaker once Doherty was substituted (which may surprise a few who weren't there!). Morrison didn't seem to help Mambo out as much, meaning that he charged out for a couple of balls he shouldn't have gone for, and Morrison also made an error from the corner they scored from. Obviously Mambo is going to have to look out for himself later on in his career, but he definitely needs guiding through games at the moment - something it looked like Doherty was doing well given how Mambo was playing.

Echo the comments of others concerning Pritchard. Didn't do that much flash stuff, but he seemed to make the right decision on the ball 95% of the time. Francis, Green, Wagstaff and Evina all very good as well.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    The BBC report bizarrely implies we were lucky to get the win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't go but with 13 shots on target was our finishing poor?
  • Options
    This result epitomises for me how things have been turned around in the close season. An enthusiastic, confident team, playing football, which happened to be a different eleven from our previous matches so far, beating a well respected Championship side.

Just about to re-sign for CAFC Player after quitting about 6 months ago in total despondence.

Well done the players, coaches, scouts, SCP and the board, we've certainly got our Charlton back.
  • Options

could be that these are league one players against a championship keeper?
  • Options
    Powell must be odds on for the dreaded manager of the month...
    Take a look at the MK Dons score and relax
  • Options
    In the first 10 minutes, Green missed an absolute sitter and Euell missed an easy one on one. Through the game we hit the bar, and there was a few goal mouth scarmbles from corners which no-one could put a finish touch to. I have only seen the home games this year, but the away games sound like we made chances for ourselves there if we keep this up we will give someone a hiding soon.

5th game in a row where we have gone 2-0 up, they say 2 nil is a dangerous scoreline (as proved Saturday and tonight after they scored) so it would be nice if we could grab a 3rd to finish a game off. But I can't wait till the next game now.
  • Options
    I wasn't criticising, just asking a question.
  • Options
    Couldn't go last night! Seems like I missed a good game.

For anyone there, how was the new keeper: HAMER?

Thanks.

• Options
    excellent game and a great performance, the only 2 I thought weren't really at the races were Hughes (I really don't think he's a CM) and Euell (who to me just looks like he lacks match sharpeness), other than that everyone was excellent

Liked the look of the keeper, the 2 CB's were both very solid and Evina will play games for us this season either at LB or LM of that I'm sure, Benson worked his socks off and I was really gutted for him when he got injured, looked like a dislocated finger that they were trying to pop back in on the touchline - he seemed desperate to get back on.

Green has to start now I think, his delivery is superb

MOM for me though was Pritchard, he was class
  • Options
    Great performance last night, I wasn't aware how much strength we had in our squad!

First time I've seen a ball go out for a throw in, with the player even picking up the ball for a throw whilst the linesman signalled a corner, which the ref agreed to, very odd.

Evina, Pritchard and Bover looked fantastic, I can't believe we bought Pritchard from Hayes & Yeading! Morrision was dogy and at fault for their goal within a minute of coming on. Hughes got stuck in and was very vocal as was Euell, but Hughes was close to making a mistake at the end with his back pass. Impressive showing, just a shame that we couldn't score more goals.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed the game last night. Must admit when we were in the pub and I saw the team I was pretty worried.

Lots and lots of very good performances. Felt sorry for Benson getting injured as I thought he was having a cracking game and really looks like he is up fighting for a place. Hamer looked pretty solid from where I was and made a good save from a one on one and another to the top corner.

Pritchard was making some great runs from midfield and Bover definitely looks like one for the future and with some nurturing he will become a good player for us, really grew into the game. I thought Docherty had a really good game at the back, really couldn't understand Powelly subbing him at a corner though?!? A bit schoolboy that.

Came out of the ground buzzing and the most positive thing is that we look like we have a very decent squad for the season ahead. Great stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry if I missed it, and I'm NOT critizing : How strong was the Reading line-up, and was it their "B Team" ?
  • Options
    Sorry for negativity, but I have to say that Hamer worries me a little.
    His shot stopping was excellent, no doubt, but he seemed a bit flappy at corners and crosses for my liking.
    Maybe nerves, maybe needs time to settle, maybe just one of those things, but didn't quite look the finished article to me last night.
  • Options

Tactical masterstroke by Powell. 

Gets match fitness for almost all of the fringe players

Puts pressure on those that have started up until now

Gives those players a rest

Gives everyone at the club confidence and keeps the run going

If we'd lost it would have been against a decent higher league team and wouldn't have hurt too much

This time last year we were all trying to draw bright spots out of spunking a three nil lead against 4th division cloggers.

• Options

@MOG Don't know hot it compares to their usual side, but off the top of my head I recognised Jobi Mcanuff (ex-Palace, think played in Prem), Brian Howard (former Barnsley and Sheff U captain, good player), Mattieu Manset (giant signed from Hereford), Jay Tabb, Ian Harte and maybe two others, so there was four or five of their side who I presume were reserves or youngsters. There were enough established Championship-level pros in their line-up to justifiably feel very proud and impressed with what Charlton served up yesterday. 

We really were superb last night - looked a bit vulnerable in defence to start with, but having avoided a dent to the confidence by not conceding a goal, we got better and better as the game went on. Can't remember the last time I saw us creating that many chances in one game, by the time Reading pulled one back we could and should have been several goals clear. Green was particularly impressive, as you'd expect, and Pritchard and Bover also stood out to me. Wagstaff was excellent when he came on, clearly not keen to give his shirt to Green yet. Seems harsh to single individual players out, they were all bloody good, even Francis!

• Options

could be that these are league one players against a championship keeper?
    We had about three cleared off the line and hit the woodwork a few times too
  • Options

Hamer's save from Horward was bloody excellent.

Pritchard looked amazing, he ran the game for the first hour and is so good on the ball.

Francis was good and he did play that way on occasion last season but it was overlooked because of the other games

• Options
    Couldn't go last night! Seems like I missed a good game.

For anyone there, how was the new keeper: HAMER?

Thanks.

Pulled off some very good saves. There were a few moments when the defence seemed unsure whether he was going to come for the ball or not, but the first time they've played so to be expected. If/when Robbie goes I expect this lad to be first choice over Sullivan (but that's what you ge for wearing number 13!)
  • Options
    I thought it was a very confident slick footballing pwerformance, I have to say I was very impressed. Bover looks class, he has a lovely touch, rich mans Mark Robson. Evina was class, as was Green. First time I have seen Pritchard and again, I was very impressed. I have a few Reading pals that went to the game and they thought we were a good little side, and that is with 11 changes from Sat. One of them thought Evina was amazing and too good for our ressies.
  • Options
    Sorry if I missed it, and I'm NOT critizing : How strong was the Reading line-up, and was it their "B Team" ?
    They had a mixture of first teamers (playoff finalist last season) and reserves.

P.S. No need to apologies for missing it!
  • Options
    If any report says we were lucky they were not at the game. Yes there was some poor finishing and that was the only reason the margin wasn't a couple of goals greater,