Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bury vs. Charlton | 27th August 2011 | Match Preview, Your Teams, Your Predictions, News

WSSWSS
edited August 2011 in General Charlton
The two-all draw with Scunthorpe last weekend, left many fans disappointed although with the benefit of that great phenomenon of hindsight, many would agree that it was probably a fair result. The visitors created a number of chances that Robbie Elliot dealt with commendably, although nervousness across the back four in the closing minutes saw the Addicks drop their first points of the season. 

The game against Championship side Reading in midweek was likely to give a few of the “First XI” the chance to show that they could compete with a team in the place where we ‘aim’ to be next season but Chris Powell decided to switch every single individual and in the process has given himself (at least) four player shaped headaches ahead of the game with League One newcomers Bury. The Shakers have had an impressive start to their 2011/12 campaign having drawn with last year’s play off finalists Huddersfield and then beating promotion favourites Wednesday and fellow promotees Wycombe (they also saw off Coventry in the League Cup). With Ryan Lowe scoring in three of their four games so far, Charlton’s back line will need to keep a close eye on the former Burscough man. 

In terms of the starting XI on Saturday, it could be argued that every player on Tuesday made a claim for the their position. That being said, I wouldnt expect too many changes from what we saw against Scunthorpe. With question marks (and pound signs) still floating around the head of Rob Elliot, it would seem Ben Hamer will take his regular place in between the sticks sooner rather than later, but for the moment the status quo will be retained. The one new signing that probably hasn’t had rave reviews yet this season is Rhoys Wiggins, and with Cedric Evina showing some class Tuesday night there could be a fight for the left back berth later in the season – but not on Saturday. 

The most probable change is going to be on the right side of midfield. Danny Green’s pinpoint crossing was shown last Saturday and on Tuesday night and that could see him edge out Scott Wagstaff who can consider himself extremely unlucky to be taking up one of the five bench places. That being said, Scott showed that he can offer something different through the middle, and I’d expect to see him cropping up there more and more as the season progresses. Hayes and BWP will continue upfront looking to benefit from the expected quality that Green can offer. 

This will be a difficult game but there is something about this squad (and manager) that suggests they are learning game-by-game and that can only bode well. A confident 1-3 away win is on the cards here.

Come on you reds.

Comments

• Options
    2-0 Charlton.
  • Options
    draw all day long 2-2
  • Options
    3-1 Charlton win for me
  • Options
    Second 2 - 2 on the bounce.
  • Options
    2-1, will sneak it i hope.
  • Options
    Think it'll be close, but we should get a positive result. 2-1 or 2-2.
  • Options
    2-0 away win! BWP, Green
  • Options
    Draw
  • Options

with our squad these are the away games we should be winning. 2-1 against a battling bury.

• Options
    Its a cliché but its these types of games that you need to grind out a win if you want to be up there challenging for the automatic places.

I think we will on this occasion.

3-1 to Charlton, we will continue our trend of opening the scoring in the first half.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3-1 Charlton, first eleven will want to perform because of the performance of our B team the other night. 
  • Options
    think we will sneak it. Can't see many, if any changes, maybe Green for Waggy but can't really see that one yet. Hamer may replace Elliott depending on the state of Robbie's move. If not Hamer should at least replace Sullivan on the bench. 
  • Options
    Charlton's phobia re: playing in the nort-west comes back to haunt us. 2-1 defeat prompting CP to move into the transfer market next week.
  • Options
    Time for a clean sheet.  We've scored at least 2 in every game so far, so 2-0, Benson and BWP.

Like to see Benno starting.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Charlton's phobia re: playing in the nort-west comes back to haunt us. 2-1 defeat prompting CP to move into the transfer market next week.
    Blimey - harsh!  CP out already? ;0)
  • Options
    Think Bury will raise their game and try to get in our faces from the off. Hopefully we'll survive the opening 20 minutes, and then show our class. 2-0 to us, think Wagstaff might get one as he continues his impressive mission to keep Green out of the side. 
  • Options
    Bury are a decent footballing team, who are still riding on the wave of confidence that promotion brings.

They outplayed Huddersfield away, and made Sheffield Wednesday look like traffic cones in their last home league game (maybe SW are that average, but still..). A 2-0 win at Wycombe is not easily achieved either.

To balance that out, Carlisle did go there and do a job on them, so it can be done if the team is fully at it.

I'm hopeful of a win, but would be pleased with a point.

2-2.

• Options
    2-1. taking a 2-0 lead again. bwp brace.would be nice to see bover get some league action.
  • Options
    I know it is an overused phrase but his is a game that I would have expected us to lose last season. Bury have started well and seem to go at teams at home - I understand that they absolutely tonked Sheffield Wednesday and the 2-1 scoreline should have been much higher. Despite most of our expected starting eleven not being involved on Tuesday, I think the positive vibes will rub off on them and not forgetting Bury had a tough game and I don't think it involved their reserves. I'l go for a 3-1 - I think Bury will score but hard to see us not getting at least a couple providing we don't approach too negatively.
  • Options
    Despite the excellent result midweek I don't forsee any team changes unless there are injuries we do not know about. A good start for the Shakers with reputations counting for nothing as far as Huddersfield and Wednesday were concerned. Provided we are up for it and I am sure the management will have them well prepared, I see a close away win for the Addicks and at worst a hard earned point. BWP to get on the scoresheet again COYR.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-1 (Hayes)
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to me first trip to Gigg Lane on sauturday and i have a good feeling about it. 3-1 to The Addicks.
  • Options
    3-3 ....
    back 5 not good enough 
  • Options

I remember trip there years ago Kiely in goal for them dre 0-0 Riscardo was 27 and i think one his mates claimed the half time draw winnings walking down the front of there main stand giving it

1-1

• Options
    I reckon this will be one extreme or other - either we fail to get going and lose narrowly 1-0, to a late goal or dodgy decision.  Or everything clicks and we romp it 4-0.  Hoping for the latter!!
  • Options
    Part of me thinks we will take a half time lead of 3-0 like carlisle last season only to be pegged back to 3-2 in the second half with a nail biting finish. Another part of me is thinking a 2-2 draw
  • Options
    2-1 to us but with a draw a much fairer result. Some dubious defending but battle on for the win, similar to Tuesday in many respects. Only changes I can see happening is MAYBE Green for Wagstaff (I doubt it personally) and possibly Hamer taking Sullivan's place on the bench. Francis with an outside chance of making the bench.
  • Options
    Would be very surprised if it isn't the same starting XI as they have done the business up to now. Maybe a few new faces on the bench after the impressive performance on Tuesday, Hamer and Pritchard maybe?

A hard fought 2-1 away win.
  • Options

It's probable that Benson and Doc will be out through injury so the only change I'd make to last week's squad is Mambo for Doc on the bench.

I'd definitely start with Waggy rather than Green as we need to be solid away from home.

• Options
    Can't edit but should have added that while Elliot is here I'd play him as he has done well.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!