Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Albums without a duff track.

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Isis - Oceanic
    Isis - Panopticon
    Mastodon - Leviathan
    Opeth - Blackwater Park
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    Radiohead - Kid A
    Baroness - Red Album

I can't quite add Tool's Aenima or Lateralus. Despite being two of my favourite albums, there are a couple of er, peculiar tracks.
  • Options
    High praise indeed.  NY Telephone Conversation is not a classic but not a duffer IMHO.
  • Options
    OK, Sandinista was a joke of mine, although I do actually like it a lot. But seriously, and this may come as no surprise to a few people, I'll go with Liars by Todd Rundgren. In my very humble opinion there's not a duff track on that album. And this from an artist who not only seems to thrive on alienating fans from one album to the next, but often from even one track to the next...
  • Options

Good to see some self discipline creeping in, admissions sbout much loved albums by much loved artists/bands having some dodgy moments.Hard to accept but we all know we convince ourselves the odd track is better than it is.

Alex the Whitney album is a good call, even though it isn't my cup of tea, in the context of what it is it is a good 'un.

Like the idea about a thread about best live album.

• Options
    ABC- Lexicon of Love
    Culture- Two Sevens Clash
    Pistols-Never mind the bollocks
    FatBoy Slim You've Come a Long Way Baby
    Tosca Suzuki in Dub
    First Lemon Jelly CD

• Options
    Hot Fuzz - The Killers
  • Options
    Is this it? - The Strokes
  • Options
    Hot Fuzz - The Killers

The second half of that album is cack. Cracking singles on it though
  • Options
    Back to Mystery City - Hanoi Rocks
  • Options
    Thanks a lot Seth......
    Van Morrison whoops!......Astral Weeks , please forgive me.
    Yes they are old un's Seth, 
    But the definition of a classic is to stand the test of time, 
    Of course I could have mentioned Stevie Wonder, Music of my mind, John Lennon's, Walls and Bridges, The stones 'Sticky fingers' .......
    Jeff Buckley: Grace. Crosby, Stills and Nash, Deja Vu  and Queens  A night at the opera. Cream: Disraeli Gears.Elvis Costello This years model. Rolling stones: let it bleed. Dylan: Highway 61 revisited.

Must search out the Marvin Gaye album what's going on it seems a good one, only heard bits from it......

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Japan - Gentlemen take polaroids

Dire straits- Making movies

Omd - Architecture and morality

Depeche mode - Songs of faith and devotion

ABC- Skyscraping

Roxy music - Flesh and blood

Echo & the bunnymen - Evergreen

Fad gadget- Incontinent

Jilted john - True love stories

Rain tree crow-Rain tree crow

Tubeway army - Tubeway army

John foxx -Interplay

Mirrors - Lights and offerings  

• Options

Urban Hymns  - The Verve

Yes that was my first thought
    Moontan - Golden Earring.
    I agree
    urban hymns - the verve
    classic

And that should have been my first thought. You an ex Radio Nordsee listener, Saga Lout?

I offer you the first three albums of Bruce Hornsby & the Range. Timeless class which I still play regularly

• Options
    In Ghost Colour by Cut Copy, all winner no filler
    Good call, although it's ColourS. Also agree with Golfy's first two (I'm amazed he hasn't put a Doors album)

I think this thread is just another way of listing favourite albums. My favourite albums all have no 'fillers' otherwise I wouldn't consider them great albums.

For my twopenneth's worth I'll put forward:

U2: The Joshua Tree
    Death Cab For Cutie: Plans
    INXS: Shabooh Shoobah
    REM: Automatic For The People
    Puressence: Only Forever

Some albums have songs that others would consider 'fillers' but to me they add to the feel of the album
    E.G Airportman on Up by REM, or The Prisoner on The Hurting by Tears for Fears.
  • Options

If we're really only listing favourite albums, maybe we should feel free to make the odd friendly challenge to the choices.

One thing emerging is that some albums have only one nomination, but some (e.g.Blue by Joni Mitchell) have three or more.

• Options
    Some that I don't think have been mentioned:

Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
    Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
    Gorillaz - Demon Days
    Jose Gonzalez - Veneer
    The Kills - Blood Pressures
    Last Shadow Puppets - The Age Of The Understatement
    Queens Of The Stone Age - R
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    The Strokes - Room On Fire
  • Options
    New Order - Movement
    Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    Pink Floyd - Saucerful of Secrets
    Pulp - Different Class
    The Fall - This Nation's Saving Grace (and several others)
    Soft Cell - Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret
    Fad Gaget - Gag
    Dandy Warhols - 13 Tales...

• Options
    Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel - Hole
    The Damned - The Black Album
    The Rakes - Capture/Release
    Nash The Slash - Children of the Night
    Fratellis - Costello Misic
  • Options
    Sunhouse - Crazy on the weekend
    Tom Waits - In the heart of Saturday
     night
    David Sylvian - Secrets of the Beehive
    Nick Cave - The Boatsman's Call
    Sun Kil Moon - Tiny Cities
  • Options
    Abba - Greatest Hits
    Abba - Arrival
    Abba - The Album
    Abba - Super Trouper
    Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Deacon Blue - Raintown
  • Options
    Abba - Greatest Hits
    Abba - Arrival
    Abba - The Album
    Abba - Super Trouper
    Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    Deacon Blue - Raintown
    What... no mention of Rolf Harris????

• Sponsored links:

• Options

If we're really only listing favourite albums, maybe we should feel free to make the odd friendly challenge to the choices.

One thing emerging is that some albums have only one nomination, but some (e.g.Blue by Joni Mitchell) have three or more.

Two of my favourite albums have been chosen, but both have, for me, one dud track. This Year's Model (Elvis Costello), great except for 'Night Rally' and New Boots and Panties (Ian Dury), I never liked 'If I was with a Woman'.

The Cure - Three Imaginary Boys. Their first and best album. 

• Options
    surely you can't name Sgt Pepper ...............it has "within you without you" don't forget !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options

The thread says Albums Without a Duff Track.

I honestly think 99% of those named could be challanged. It's turned into, as usual, me,me,me naming albums that are supposedly critical classics, but in reality fall into the catergory of Emperor's New Clothes. Obviously Rumours, Thriller and Tapestry don't come into this set.

As ever any popular art form thread on here becomes a case of boring, boring people trying to out do each other on so called cultural awareness. To be fair Henry Irving is no longer the worst example of this. Even he has grown up a little and doesn't try to preach Art for Art's sake anymore. I'd like to think I have had some influence on him and his recovery from his acute grandiose delusions .

However he is no longer a problem but many are. This website used to be good, now it's crap, and for that reason.........I'm out.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    This thread was always going to boil down to personal taste, to take offense at the selections and then vehemently oppose them is childish imo. There's no 'me,me,me' about it, people like these albums, infact they not only like them but consider them to faultless. You tell me what makes Thriller and Tapestry perfect and it will soon become clear that it will utimately be YOUR opinion.
    I didn't detect even the slightest degree of cultural one-up from anybody until your last post, music-snob if i've ever heard one. I feel sorry for you, you must have many problems if you consider other's musical taste this troubling.
  • Options

Time to close this thread I reckon. especially as now there is the interesting 'duff track that spoils a good album' thread going.

BTW, of course it is all subjective, but the debate is supposed to be part of the fun, not point scoring.

• Options

However he is no longer a problem but many are. This website used to be good, now it's crap, and for that reason.........I'm out.

And in other transfer news the admin team on Charlton Life are pleased to announce the departure of Chirpy Red to Into the Valley...

• Options
    Alice In Chains - Dirt
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
  • Options

The thread says Albums Without a Duff Track.

I honestly think 99% of those named could be challanged. It's turned into, as usual, me,me,me naming albums that are supposedly critical classics, but in reality fall into the catergory of Emperor's New Clothes. Obviously Rumours, Thriller and Tapestry don't come into this set.

As ever any popular art form thread on here becomes a case of boring, boring people trying to out do each other on so called cultural awareness. To be fair Henry Irving is no longer the worst example of this. Even he has grown up a little and doesn't try to preach Art for Art's sake anymore. I'd like to think I have had some influence on him and his recovery from his acute grandiose delusions .

Get over yourself. Every one of the albums I've named hasn't got a single duff track on it. Can't vouch for many of the others as I don't know them - but there are a few listed above that have made me think 'yeah, that's true - not a duffer in sight'.