Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

the transfer deadline day thread

Comments

• Options
    I'd play Jackson upfront, he knows how to put the ball in the net. Evina left wing.
  • Options

What impresses me most about Jacko is his ability in the air!Attacking headers is his forte!

• Options
    No, no, no. We shouldnt need to move people out of their best positions to cover. We need a striker whose best position is up front as a striker. Simple.

If we dont have someone lined up to replace Benson, then dont sell him.
  • Options
    Playing anyone up front who has a good record from midfield does not always work, it is a different mind set and way of playing.  Players like JJ have a good record as they arrive late to find space and meet the ball, finding space when already up top is an artform, as is finishing the chances when the pressure is really on you to do it
  • Options
    edited August 2011

Just an option. Why play Wagstaff upfront/behind front man when Jackson could do that job. Wouldn't hurt to try.

But of course I want a new striker brought In like everyone else.

• Options
    No, no, no. We shouldnt need to move people out of their best positions to cover. We need a striker whose best position is up front as a striker. Simple. If we dont have someone lined up to replace Benson, then dont sell him.
    This.
  • Options
    Just an option. Why play Wagstaff upfront/behind front man when Jackson could do that job. Wouldn't hurt to try.
    It could work but better to get another senior striker in than have 2 and a half if Benno goes
  • Options
    No, no, no. We shouldnt need to move people out of their best positions to cover. We need a striker whose best position is up front as a striker. Simple. If we dont have someone lined up to replace Benson, then dont sell him.
    Nail>head
  • Options
    I wasnt agreeing that Jackson should play upfront, I was merely commenting on his excellent heading ability and what DamoNorthStand said is true and plays a main factor in why he is so good in the air!
  • Options
    Benno will most probably go. At the end of the day he is in the last year of his contract, he is 32 and only scored 10 last season. So 150.000 is good money for him. 
    I reckon powell will get a last minute striker. Maybe that bloke from Crawley. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Club ethos appears to be to steer well clear of loans one out of nineteen new boys in this season would bear that out. I am expecting a Permanent signing up front before end of deadline possibly even two, I am sure whoever it is will not be good enough for half of this board, they never bleedin are. Don't think we have got a transfer wrong all summer don't exepct a bad one now.
  • Options
    Benno will most probably go. At the end of the day he is in the last year of his contract, he is 32 and only scored 10 last season. So 150.000 is good money for him. 
    I reckon powell will get a last minute striker. Maybe that bloke from Crawley. 
    Agree with you with the outcome but feel you cannot really say 'only scored 10 last season' ten goals could easily be the difference between us going up or not and a ten goal scorer is not easily found
  • Options
    Fair enough but he did play a lot of games and was our 'main' striker before BWP came...
  • Options
    Club ethos appears to be to steer well clear of loans one out of nineteen new boys in this season would bear that out. I am expecting a Permanent signing up front before end of deadline possibly even two, I am sure whoever it is will not be good enough for half of this board, they never bleedin are. Don't think we have got a transfer wrong all summer don't exepct a bad one now.
    This, trust in the powers that be lads
  • Options
    Does anyway know if Marshall is a left or right winger 
    (and no I don't mean his political views !!)
  • Options
    also barnet have confirmed they rejected a bid for marshall.
  • Options
    Cant see anything in this Barnard story, the guy is on bail until February after a fight outside a pub. Wouldn't make sense to sign a player even if it was on loan who has his mind else where.

If Benson is to go i think it would be a shame, however he is not in Chris Powell's plans, and i would suggest that there is maybe one if not two players lined up to come in today once we have got one or two out.
  • Options
    Not sure that the young lad from Darlington - Michael Smith (see other thread on him) - is the one to replace Benno if he goes.....Smith currently is not in the Darlington team!
  • Options
    we dont know why that is tho. shelvey wasnt playing for us before his move to liverpool remember.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure that the young lad from Darlington - Michael Smith (see other thread on him) - is the one to replace Benno if he goes.....Smith currently is not in the Darlington team!

Think it's fairly clear that the board have enough money to take a few risks on "development" squad players like Bover, Pope and now Smith. Good to see that we can afford to sign players with an eye for the future. I take it that the new Spaniard cb also fits into this category although he's not particularly young I expect someone sees a lot of potential.
  • Options
    This Smith kid would be a number 5 striker for us, so you still expect a first teamer in if Benno goes.

BWP, Hayes, NEW STRIKER, Euell, Smith
  • Options
    edited August 2011

Think it's fairly clear that the board have enough money to take a few risks on "development" squad players like Bover, Pope and now Smith. Good to see that we can afford to sign players with an eye for the future. I take it that the new Spaniard cb also fits into this category although he's not particularly young I expect someone sees a lot of potential.
    Dont disagree SHG....but just a little concerend that whilst letting a player like Benno go (if thats true of course) would leave us a little short in terms of experienced strikers, and I'm not overly sure that playing Waggy or Jacko out of position is what we need. However I trust CP and the borad to do the right thing.....as for Smith as a development player......yeah agree with that wholeheartedly!
  • Options
    don't mind the idea of "development players", only worry is that without a reservces team these players will have limited opportunity to play andif we have too large a squad of players not playing that can cause problems in itself.  I guess we would just have to send them out on loan.
  • Options
    Be surprised if we spend >£80K on a development player.
  • Options
    Eden Hazard has filed a transfer request to force Arsenal move. From BBC.
  • Options
    They turned down 80k so likely to be more than that. I assume he isn't playing as they are protecting their prize asset from injury. That sort of money is a huge amount for them.
  • Options
    Rumour has it we are in for this Michael Smith because we could not afford Mackail-Smith
  • Options
    Rumour has it we are in for this Michael Smith because we could not afford Mackail-Smith
    Along with Mikel Alonso because we could afford his brother Xavi
  • Options
    Cody McDonald having medical at Coventry...