Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nathan Eccleston

Comments

• Options
    three successive posts ?  are you talking to yourself?
  • Options
    One thing that was swept under the rug was the 20m people Stalin killed (the ally Britain and USA had in the 2nd world war).

But this is a thread about Ecclescake.
    Not really swept under the rug as the 20m+ figure is quoted in just about every history.

About half were military deaths ie soldiers and the other civilians.  Millions were killed by Stalin (as bad if not a worse dictator than Hitler because he was smarter) but certainly not all 20m were killed by the Soviet State.  The Nazis did invade Russia and kill a lot of people.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Eccleston is entitled to his opinions, but his job as a professional footballer means he should know better than to tweet them when they are this controversial.
  • Options
    I know he's an idiot but he can redeem himself by talking with his feet on loan at us as his punishment.
  • Options
    @Henry I know i was being an arse.

• Options
    One thing that was swept under the rug was the 20m people Stalin killed (the ally Britain and USA had in the 2nd world war).

But this is a thread about Ecclescake.
    Not really swept under the rug as the 20m+ figure is quoted in just about every history.

About half were military deaths ie soldiers and the other civilians.  Millions were killed by Stalin (as bad if not a worse dictator than Hitler because he was smarter) but certainly not all 20m were killed by the Soviet State.  The Nazis did invade Russia and kill a lot of people.

The 20 million usuallly quoted excludes those killed by the Nazis or in the war generally. The debate is really about whether the various famines (especially the Ukrainan famine) were deliberate state policy or an unintended coonsequence of collectivisation. If the former Stalin's total is about 10m (executions, gulags, deaths from forced deportations and murder of German POWs) if famines are included it rises to about 20m.

Ecclestone needs to read a bit more widely than Dan Brown. He's entitled to his opinion but his employers are entitled to be pissed off with him for expressing it.

• Options
    Very stupid but a few on here were backing similar conspiracy theories a few months back.

It was me that started the 9/11 conspiracy theory discussion, as someone I know is continually & strongly into anti USA, anti government, anti Israel, anti bankers etc. The illuminati is also one of these, whereby it is believed that they pretty much control the world. BTW the same source tells me the world will end in December 2011.

I kind of think that it's many a young person's rant against authority and that they seem to not believe anything they are told & believe that the news & newspapers tell a lot of lies & the internet is the only correct knowledge.

I'm not saying they are wrong, but I feel they are more wrong than right.

• Options

I'd often wondered if Nathan was someone with a personality disorder. He's no idiot but he may be quite a vulnerable kid. Maybe he doesn't understand the social implications of what he said - Aspergers type etc. Seems like he's intent on making life harder for himself than it need be.

• Options
    It's lack of Nandos init.
  • Options
    He's entitled to his opinion but he's a total cock for expressing it, given his employers nationality.

My boss is a BMW driver. I'm perfectly entitled to think that all BMW drivers are utter twunts who are incapable of working out where the indicator is or driving without a mobile phone surgically attached to their head but I'd be a bit of a nob to say that in her office.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Henry I know i was being an arse.

fair do's.  Now the Soviet Union has fallen actually a lot more coming out about that part of the war.  Interesting to history bores buffs like me.
    Very stupid but a few on here were backing similar conspiracy theories a few months back.

It was me that started the 9/11 conspiracy theory discussion, as someone I know is continually & strongly into anti USA, anti government, anti Israel, anti bankers etc. The illuminati is also one of these, whereby it is believed that they pretty much control the world. BTW the same source tells me the world will end in December 2011.

I kind of think that it's many a young person's rant against authority and that they seem to not believe anything they are told & believe that the news & newspapers tell a lot of lies & the internet is the only correct knowledge.

I'm not saying they are wrong, but I feel they are more wrong than right.

I tend to think it's an alternative to other forms of belief such as organised religion, astrology or UFOs.   As fewer people believe in those (rightly or wrongly) they look for something else to explain the world and why things happen as they do.   "there must be some reason, some overall plan" they ask.  Well actually not there doesn't. 

No one controls the whole world or has hidden influence other than the Charlton Life Clique which we all some of us KNOW runs everything.  All Hail Lookout, All Hail AFKA
  • Options
    @henry

I'm a closet history buff/boff myself.

Could talk for days about it.

• Options
    I wouldn't have him back at our club.

Didn't rate him as much as some do on here. He was always going to stand out from what we had last year because his got pace and his young and from Liverpool.

But i think he thought he was better than what he was. He would probably expect to walk straight in the team because of the club his come from. I'm sure we can do better than him but luckily that's not my job
  • Options
    Who gives a shit what a footballer thinks about the world?  If we got that exercised about this sort of thing we would want to see Di Canio hounded out of football for being a self-confessed fascist.  Oh hang on, I do.
  • Options

@henry

Not sure about your thesis. I think people just like consipracy theories and they always have - the protocols of the elders of zion, Freemasons etc - the idea that there is a secret cabal controlling the world is nothing new. And there seems to be plenty of conspiracy theorists in religious conutries like the US, maybe more than in godless ones like ours.

The internet helps them spread more easily I guess.

• Options
    @henry

I'm a closet history buff/boff myself.

Could talk for days about it.

It's a date : - )
  • Options

@henry

Not sure about your thesis. I think people just like consipracy theories and they always have - the protocols of the elders of zion, Freemasons etc - the idea that there is a secret cabal controlling the world is nothing new. And there seems to be plenty of conspiracy theorists in religious conutries like the US, maybe more than in godless ones like ours.

The internet helps them spread more easily I guess.

Perhaps but as Carl Sagen argues in the "demon haunted world" fear of witches and devils has been replaced by fear of aliens from space.  Now you hear less of UFOs and more of the Di Vinci code rubbish.  Maybe this is due to the fall of the Soviet Block and the old certainties about "us and them."
  • Options
    So is he the "top four club" player we supposedly didn't sign on the basis of concerns about character/ lifestyle as stated at Bromley Addicks?

What a very stupid thing to tweet. 

Liverpool didn't finish in the top four...
  • Options
    Seriously dumb as usual, and not starting a Pro/Anti O.T.I.S. debate...but:

Who OTIS ?
  • Options
    Seriously dumb as usual, and not starting a Pro/Anti O.T.I.S. debate...but:

Who OTIS ?
    Try a 'Little Tenderness'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Something and nothing story if ever there was one.  He'll have his knuckles rapped, be told to stay of Twitter and it will all blow over in a couple of days.
  • Options
    God bless free speech and all who sail in her
  • Options
    Free speech yes, but come on.

Can you imagine if a player was to say something like this on the anniversary of Hillsborough ... Bradford, or Heysel
  • Options
    People can say what they like, when they like as long as it doesnt break any laws.  Just cause it lacks common sense doesnt make it wrong
  • Options

There are some comments under the Sun article - one calling him a "senseless thicko", as a Sun reader I doubt he understands irony...

• Options

Nice thread - classic Charlton Life.

Could someone start a thread on how McOxo is getting on these days as I'd welcome a discussion on the response of the Papacy to the emergence of fascist or reactionary regimes in Europe in the inter war years.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    People can say what they like, when they like as long as it doesnt break any laws.  Just cause it lacks common sense doesnt make it wrong
    Wrong, no, doesnt mean it's any less stupid though, does it.

There are some comments under the Sun article - one calling him a "senseless thicko", as a Sun reader I doubt he understands irony...

So anyone who reads the sun is a thicko? What about someone who got directed to the article from a different news source? You was clearly reading the article, so I guess the jokes on you.
  • Options
    Wrong, no, doesnt mean it's any less stupid though, does it.

So anyone who reads the sun is a thicko? What about someone who got directed to the article from a different news source? You was clearly reading the article, so I guess the jokes on you.

Well if you are going to be precious about this then allow me to correct your grammar. It is "you were reading" not "you was reading"...

• Options
    Typical BFR - loses argument so switches attack to grammar.  

So what if he said "you was" it was clear what he meant and it's not as if he teaches English as a foreign language or somefing  : - )