Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Star Wars

Comments

• Options
    Jesus America almost lost one of its better Presidents there
  • Options
    Fly? Yes... Land? No.
  • Options
    watched it live via the youtube stream, mega proud of John Boyega, british-nigerian lad from peckham. Interesting to hear luke say "my father has it" rather than "had it" ....
  • Options
    I can't wait, it's about time we had another fix! Sequel rather than prequel I'm hoping will be great, I just hope they have a whole new plot too and it's not all focused on the past.
  • Options
    That looks like fun
  • Options
    They should've just got Abrams to remake the prequels , perform a Jedi mind trick for us to forget the other ones.
  • Options
    Just had a little sex wee there.
  • Options
    Just got back from the event thing in London. Warwick Davis presented it, he was really, really funny. JJ did a Q & A which was streamed over, didn't give too much away thankfully. Audience went absolutely nuts when Han appeared. Boyega seemed a really nice chap. Still don't like Anthony Daniels though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Just got back from the event thing in London. Warwick Davis presented it, he was really, really funny. JJ did a Q & A which was streamed over, didn't give too much away thankfully. Audience went absolutely nuts when Han appeared. Boyega seemed a really nice chap. Still don't like Anthony Daniels though.

Neither does Kenny Baker.
  • Options
    Was a bit surprised at how emotional i was when i saw the trailer. Tears almost spilled. I was so moved when i saw Chewy and Han in the trailer. It was like reuniting with a long lost Uncle or something...reconnecting with my childhood. Can't wait to go and see this with my children. unbelievably cool. The movie appears to have the grit and realism that those prequels lacked.
  • Options
    Ive said for years that cinemas are missing a trick, fck all thes 2 for 1 Tuesday or what not and playing the same new release for months on end.
    They should do Nostalgic night or something, Show Star Wars, Back to the Future, Goodfellas, the list oges on.

Full house Guaranteed
  • Options
    There's something like half a dozen cinema releases each week, another half dozen online or on demand. There are some independent cinemas that do classic nights, and rereleases occur once or twice a month maybe at chain cinemas but the cash generated by old movies isn't worth the money needed to publicise the release. It'd be great if there were more indies to do retro things.
  • Options
    The Force is strong in this.........

• Options
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Hope it is closer to IV to VI than I to III. I thought the recent efforts were a bit Lazy. In episode VI Leia refers to knowing her mother, but in episode III she dies in childbirth, There are a few things that just don't feel right. Anankin's transformation to the dark side was a bit too unbelievable too. Should have got a few fans to pour through the script. Hopefully they have learned lessons. CGI just doesn't have the same impact the ILM models had either.
  • Options

Hope it is closer to IV to VI than I to III. I thought the recent efforts were a bit Lazy. In episode VI Leia refers to knowing her mother, but in episode III she dies in childbirth, There are a few things that just don't feel right. Anankin's transformation to the dark side was a bit too unbelievable too. Should have got a few fans to pour through the script. Hopefully they have learned lessons. CGI just doesn't have the same impact the ILM models had either.

ep 1 to 3? I don't think those exist. Sorry.

I think theres a lot more practical effects in this one, the prequels were all basically in front of a green screen. And you could tell.
  • Options
    Can't wait. My wife hates it though so will have to find a fellow geek to go with.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I suppose CGI can be done well. I like the way the new Thunderbirds uses a combination of CGI and models in the same frame. The problem with Thunderbirds is the CGI characters are no better than the puppets. Gerry Anderson always said he used puppets because he couldn't afford people and it would have improved things as it would have taken the show to where Anderson wanted it. The CGI would have worked so much better with real people. The people who make these things sometimes lose these important details. Lucas believed in episodes IV to VI. Not sure I to III meant anything more than money to him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am at the weekend event and there are spoilers around the place. I am queuing to get my photo taken with the Jedi twins (their faces will ache!). I think the biggest SPOILER, SO DON'T read on if you don't like them is in the far corner of Mark Hamill's autograph table. Mark went for a pee break, whilst I was waiting and I asked his assistant which character is this? The answered Darth Bane from the new film. I had no idea what that meant until I researched it and on wiki found the same picture "the spectre of Bane" on the character's wiki page. Allegedly a powerful dead Sith Lord buried in a tomb, but trying to communicate/influence a Jedi to turn. Wiki States in a novel the figure revealed himself to Yoda, but Yoda was strong and resisted. Based on rumours that Luke is protecting a tomb on a planet, in isolation, I suspect it is the tomb of this Darth Bane character, who appears and tries to tempt him - will he or won't he turn? May be wild speculation and the assistant may be a much bigger Star Wars nerd than me, who tried to send me on a wild goose chase, but that character's photo is sitting on Mark Hamill's autograph table, for sure!
  • Options
    Pavo said:

I am at the weekend event and there are spoilers around the place. I am queuing to get my photo taken with the Jedi twins (their faces will ache!). I think the biggest SPOILER, SO DON'T read on if you don't like them is in the far corner of Mark Hamill's autograph table. Mark went for a pee break, whilst I was waiting and I asked his assistant which character is this? The answered Darth Bane from the new film. I had no idea what that meant until I researched it and on wiki found the same picture "the spectre of Bane" on the character's wiki page. Allegedly a powerful dead Sith Lord buried in a tomb, but trying to communicate/influence a Jedi to turn. Wiki States in a novel the figure revealed himself to Yoda, but Yoda was strong and resisted. Based on rumours that Luke is protecting a tomb on a planet, in isolation, I suspect it is the tomb of this Darth Bane character, who appears and tries to tempt him - will he or won't he turn? May be wild speculation and the assistant may be a much bigger Star Wars nerd than me, who tried to send me on a wild goose chase, but that character's photo is sitting on Mark Hamill's autograph table, for sure!

Intrigued, I just looked this fella up on 'Wookiepedia'. His entry is longer than Martin Luther King's in Wikipedia!

You could be onto something here Pav.

• Options
    You might find that an alternative explanation is that Mark Hamill did the voice for Darth Bane in the Clone Wars TV show. So he is, effectively, signing photos of his character in the TV show that all the kids there would have seen.
  • Options
    Don't think it matters to be honest.

They stand alone as trios with references rather than plot links.

The purist in me would say watch in the order they were released.
  • Options
    Slightly embarrassed at how excited that just made me. I was six when my Dad took me to Episode IV and watching that trailer made me feel like that all over again.
    If they bring out anything like the old-school Star Wars cards (not the crap ones which are covered in numbers and 'mean' something) they I will not be able to resist.
  • Options

If watching the franchise for TV first time, is it best to start with the original film or the phantom menace ?

WSS said:

Don't think it matters to be honest.

They stand alone as trios with references rather than plot links.

The purist in me would say watch in the order they were released.

This. If you watch the prequels first you may feel like giving the originals a wide berth,which would be a shame.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

If watching the franchise for TV first time, is it best to start with the original film or the phantom menace ?

There's a school of thought that says 4, 5, 2, 3, 6 is the best order (or 4, 5, 1, 2, 3, 6 if you want to watch all 6 films) is the best way - basically there's a couple of revelations at the end of 5 that the prequels can then tell the story of, before you then see the conclusion of the whole saga (until 7 arrives!).

It makes a lot of sense, and I'd be interested what you thought if you did give it a go as a first time watcher.
  • Options

Can't wait. My wife hates it though so will have to find a fellow geek to go with.

I'm in the same position, other half only watches comedies and I love a bit of sci-fi!
  • Options

I'm in the same position, other half only watches comedies and I love a bit of sci-fi!
    IV V and most of VI never felt sci fi to me anyway. I think that's why I liked them. They were like a new twist on the classic hollywood epic model- like a rehash of stories such as Lawrence, but in another galaxy, rather than Arabia.

I, II and III lost that feel for me. They looked too cartoon like and nowadays a lot less timeless compared to the originals. Although III was better. Maybe because you started to see familiar faces in it like R2 and Darth.

I hope Williams lives long enough to have input on the score for all of the new ones.