Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Star Wars

1235»

Comments

• Options

watched it live via the youtube stream, mega proud of John Boyega, british-nigerian lad from peckham. Interesting to hear luke say "my father has it" rather than "had it" ....

Don't think it's 'Luke' (mark hamill) who says it , i believe it to be the new character who I guess is Luke's son!
    Can't remember Leia having the force in the original 3 so goes against what he's saying
  • Options

Can't wait. My wife hates it though so will have to find a fellow geek to go with.

I'm in the same position, other half only watches comedies and I love a bit of sci-fi!
    IV V and most of VI never felt sci fi to me anyway. I think that's why I liked them. They were like a new twist on the classic hollywood epic model- like a rehash of stories such as Lawrence, but in another galaxy, rather than Arabia.

I, II and III lost that feel for me. They looked too cartoon like and nowadays a lot less timeless compared to the originals. Although III was better. Maybe because you started to see familiar faces in it like R2 and Darth.

I hope Williams lives long enough to have input on the score for all of the new ones.
    I saw a lot of the religious element in the original trio, good versus evil, dark side, Devine force and the thin cross between good and bad the religious connotations are running through the whole film with a very strong subtext. So in that respect not particularly sci fi although I'm not sure which other genre it could go in.
  • Options

Can't wait. My wife hates it though so will have to find a fellow geek to go with.

I'm in the same position, other half only watches comedies and I love a bit of sci-fi!
    I don't hog the popcorn if that's what you're alluding to ;)
  • Options

I don't hog the popcorn if that's what you're alluding to ;)
    I don't even eat popcorn and I smuggle in my own drinks ;-)
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

watched it live via the youtube stream, mega proud of John Boyega, british-nigerian lad from peckham. Interesting to hear luke say "my father has it" rather than "had it" ....

Don't think it's 'Luke' (mark hamill) who says it , i believe it to be the new character who I guess is Luke's son!
    Can't remember Leia having the force in the original 3 so goes against what he's saying
    The voiceover is apparently actually taken out of Episode 6 (which is why it sounds too young for Hamill) and he said it to Leia originally I believe. The 'you also have the power' was addressed to Leia about five minutes before the end of the film from memory so it never went anywhere.
  • Options
    Has anyone here booked up the Secret Cinema this summer?
  • Options

Why are they playing Star Wars? Any links?
  • Options

Why are they playing Star Wars? Any links?
    I don't know why but I'm sure we can all guess.

http://www.secretcinema.org/tickets

I got that from googling 'Secret Cinema' if you do the same you will see links to a lot of other info.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

Hope it is closer to IV to VI than I to III. I thought the recent efforts were a bit Lazy. In episode VI Leia refers to knowing her mother, but in episode III she dies in childbirth, There are a few things that just don't feel right. Anankin's transformation to the dark side was a bit too unbelievable too. Should have got a few fans to pour through the script. Hopefully they have learned lessons. CGI just doesn't have the same impact the ILM models had either.

They built loads of models for the prequels.

It's a different crew of people leading it this time. Different writers, director and producer. They didn't like the prequels any more than we did, so I don't doubt it'll far closer to the original trilogy. It'll be a cross between Empire and JJ's Star Trek I suspect.

Also, Leia's memory of her mother was explained away as 'force memories' by Lucas and co.!
  • Options
    I think it's expensive and lost its edge, but still going.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Hope it is closer to IV to VI than I to III. I thought the recent efforts were a bit Lazy. In episode VI Leia refers to knowing her mother, but in episode III she dies in childbirth, There are a few things that just don't feel right. Anankin's transformation to the dark side was a bit too unbelievable too. Should have got a few fans to pour through the script. Hopefully they have learned lessons. CGI just doesn't have the same impact the ILM models had either.

They built loads of models for the prequels.

It's a different crew of people leading it this time. Different writers, director and producer. They didn't like the prequels any more than we did, so I don't doubt it'll far closer to the original trilogy. It'll be a cross between Empire and JJ's Star Trek I suspect.

Also, Leia's memory of her mother was explained away as 'force memories' by Lucas and co.!
    as long as they get rid of the fucking ridiculous attempting-to-be-scientific midichlorians and just pretend that that never happened that would be great.

two things ruined the prequels more than anything else, bullshit galactic politics and midichlorians.
  • Options

two things ruined the prequels more than anything else, bullshit galactic politics and midichlorians.

I'd have said the story and the dialogue personally.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Rizzo said:

I'd have said the story and the dialogue personally.

haha there were so many things wrong with it.

I watched a youtube video a while back explaining how lucas couldve got the midichlorians to work, by revealing that anakin was actually a clone deliberately created by the emporer to have a ridiculously high level of midichlorians. Would've answered why he was born with no father , would've been an amazing episode 2 twist mirroring empire strikes back and the third film would've been anakin's struggle to fight against what he was created for. Also gives the title "Attack of the Clones" a new twist.

Alas, there's so many small things lucas couldve done to make the films interesting and good.
  • Options
    Blimey that's a great idea. If only George had let someone else into the writing process. I saw a documentary once where he was just walking from one team to another saying "good job!" And letting them do their own thing with the effects. He made those movies in such a way that he removed all soul from the process.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Blimey that's a great idea. If only George had let someone else into the writing process. I saw a documentary once where he was just walking from one team to another saying "good job!" And letting them do their own thing with the effects. He made those movies in such a way that he removed all soul from the process.

To be fair, they could've just done exactly what he said and as some one that works in vfx and motion graphics it's fucking irritating when the director/client is over your shoulder the entire time.

• Options

You might find that an alternative explanation is that Mark Hamill did the voice for Darth Bane in the Clone Wars TV show. So he is, effectively, signing photos of his character in the TV show that all the kids there would have seen.

This is right, I met Mark again and he confirmed this. He was nominated for an Emmy for his portrayal of the character (in voice). However, the guy said to me what he said and rumours are strong that Luke is protecting a tomb, so maybe their is a link in the Clone Wars story arc to the Force Awakens. Hamill also confirmed in his panel interview that he was asked to cover the lines of ROTJ with his older character voice. He said that it took more than one take as he said "My Father had it, rather than Father has it...". Carrie Fisher today asked for my hand before drawing a good luck cross (?) on my finger with a permanent market. Wasn't expecting that and at least the kids will be impressed. I have to get it off before business meetings on Wednesday...
  • Options

Also...
  • Options
    My four year old is already Star Wars obsessed. Must've seen the original 6 thirty teams each already . Disney weren't daft in buying the franchise , if we thought the amount of merch they sold before was big then this will be a whole new level.
  • Options
    The force is strong with this one.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Star Wars celebration in London next year, tickets on sale later today:

starwarscelebration.com/Tickets/Buy-Tickets/
  • Options
    I'm not into Star Wars (never watched it, I've tried several times) but having read this thread, the nerdy passion shown on this thread is excellent.
    Everyone is a nerd about something. Top nerding everyone.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

Star Wars celebration in London next year, tickets on sale later today:

starwarscelebration.com/Tickets/Buy-Tickets/

Quite surprised actually that this event isnt on May 4th
  • Options
    They've got things planned for that as well. They'd have even more if Disney and Fox acutally communicated with one other. But more on that nearer the time!