Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pardew: A good manager?

Comments

• Options
    He's done well up there with (relatively ) a limited amount of cash , maybe a stronger chairman who doesn't just give him what he wants has stopped him wasting dough
    Maybe he has a decent assistant unlike the non existant one who had nothing to do with the crap that was produced by pardew at the valley
    Ultimately , it's what these managers do at Charlton that matters most to us and we all know some fans were looking to see Curbs fail when he left to give it the told you so but whatever these ex managers go on to achieve it won't change what they done at our club and Pardew failed with us
    Interesting analysis.  99% of Charlton fans would praise our board at the time of Pardew's stewardship.  99% of Newcastle's hate Ashley.  They're running a financially tight ship successfully while we were frittering cash on absolute rotters.  They're doing well in the premiership while we were printing a boarding pass for the third division.  Fans are mostly idiots with tittle notion of what goes on in a club.

Read an interesting article about how Lyon went from being a nothing team in the second division to CL performers and owning the French league for the thick end of a decade.  Basically the key features were very focused scouting, a core of staff that would not be moving on making personnel decisions and a lot of assistance given to foreign signings to integrate them into the town.  Managers came and went (and generally flopped elsewhere) but the club prospered.  I wonder if British clubs shouldn't have a similar model: handing a chequebook over to a bloke who has little interest in anything other than the short term survival of his position, would seem to be stupid.  I note Brentford have moved to a more continental model, so it'll be interesting to see where that takes them.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Newcastle on same points as Man Utd in 2nd place, who'd a thought it!

Scrub that, 22 pts, 1 behind!
  • Options
    unreal he's completely uncharltonised ;-)
  • Options
    Finally done something right had the Toon @ 3/1
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    He's got them all working for one another and no 'big time charlies' to upset the applecart. From tonight's game Pardew had clearly done his homework and prepared them well against the 'Land of the Giants' that is 'up and under' Stoke. Couldn't stand to watch that brand of soccer any more now that SCP has got us playing a bit of football.
  • Options
    Will be interesting to see how they fare in their next 4 games...

After Everton at home this Saturday they've got:  Man City (a), Man Utd (a), Chelsea (h).  Lets see how they do against the big boys.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Very interesting but I'm sure Pardew would take 3 points now if you offered them to him. They are outpunching their weight imho and his main aim will be to get to the magic 40 points as soon as possible and they are already over half way there. After that everything will be a bonus.
  • Options
    Different jobs suit different people. Pardew is doing well at Newcastle having outed the dickheads and with his unknown French imports, shades of Wenger there. His Charlton regime was generally disasterous. I have a soft spot for the Geordies and would love to see Pardew and his team break into the famous four or five. NUFC is a club with great potential.
  • Options
    Always remember Peter Varney telling me that Pardew was a good manager & would come good before long.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    He's done well up there with (relatively ) a limited amount of cash , maybe a stronger chairman who doesn't just give him what he wants has stopped him wasting dough
    Maybe he has a decent assistant unlike the non existant one who had nothing to do with the crap that was produced by pardew at the valley
    Ultimately , it's what these managers do at Charlton that matters most to us and we all know some fans were looking to see Curbs fail when he left to give it the told you so but whatever these ex managers go on to achieve it won't change what they done at our club and Pardew failed with us
    Interesting analysis.  99% of Charlton fans would praise our board at the time of Pardew's stewardship.  99% of Newcastle's hate Ashley.  They're running a financially tight ship successfully while we were frittering cash on absolute rotters.  They're doing well in the premiership while we were printing a boarding pass for the third division.  Fans are mostly idiots with tittle notion of what goes on in a club.

Read an interesting article about how Lyon went from being a nothing team in the second division to CL performers and owning the French league for the thick end of a decade.  Basically the key features were very focused scouting, a core of staff that would not be moving on making personnel decisions and a lot of assistance given to foreign signings to integrate them into the town.  Managers came and went (and generally flopped elsewhere) but the club prospered.  I wonder if British clubs shouldn't have a similar model: handing a chequebook over to a bloke who has little interest in anything other than the short term survival of his position, would seem to be stupid.  I note Brentford have moved to a more continental model, so it'll be interesting to see where that takes them.
    Must admit wondered if we currently modelling ourself on a version of Lyon re scouting / business strategy.
    One difference is in management, CP is a manager, at Lyon the manager has less power (less impact re signings / even style of play - I understand they play a similar way irrespective of manager) 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    His french imports wernt exactly that unknown
  • Options
    He's got them all working for one another and no 'big time charlies' to upset the applecart. From tonight's game Pardew had clearly done his homework and prepared them well against the 'Land of the Giants' that is 'up and under' Stoke. Couldn't stand to watch that brand of soccer any more now that SCP has got us playing a bit of football.
    Soccer? Really?
  • Options
    Three years ago Pardew and Parkinson were working together at the same club (unfortunately ours). Then one was sacked and replaced by the other.

Today the one who was sacked is third in the league and the one who replaced him is 89th.

I was never a Parky fan, but he tried his best. Pardew, on the other hand, ruined us. So on the grounds of justice,  I wish their respective positions today were the other way around!
  • Options
    Just having a drink at Caffe Nero in West Wickham and Pardew walks in with a mate. 
    I nearly vomited in my skinny latte.
  • Options

Give him my regards m_l_c.

• Options

On your behalf, I'll commend him for his work at West Ham. 
  • Options
    Pardew lost his way with us- it requires different skills when you have to let good players go and replace them with cheaper ones and he got himself in a bit of a mess but I personally think he had a handle on things until Andy Reid was sold and things went downhill from him after the purchase of Andy Gray. The team slid down the table and became unblanaced and he didn't know how too fix it. But under different circumstances, it doesn't mean he can't be effective and he has shown and is showing that he can.
  • Options
    No matter how effective he can be, he has a fatal flaw. His ego will be his downfall, he'll bone a players wife or piss on someone's Ferrari and it will all end in tears and a big payout.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Pardew lost his way with us- it requires different skills when you have to let good players go and replace them with cheaper ones and he got himself in a bit of a mess but I personally think he had a handle on things until Andy Reid was sold and things went downhill from him after the purchase of Andy Gray. The team slid down the table and became unblanaced and he didn't know how too fix it. But under different circumstances, it doesn't mean he can't be effective and he has shown and is showing that he can.
    selling Reid is probably the single worst decision the club has made since appointing Reed
  • Options

selling Reid is probably the single worst decision the club has made since appointing Reed
    I think you are reading between the lines
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We know that's where both our hearts are......
  • Options
    9. Murray's comments on Diawara, not needed at that time.

This has always intrigued me, I guess this refers to Murrays quote that "Diawara was the best £4m defender you have never heard of" or words to that effect?

Am I the only one or are there others whose take on this was that this was a compliment, ie "you may not have heard of him but he is an exellent player"? I thought this was what Murray meant at the time and still do today. Unless I've misunderstood or misread the quote.

Anyway - apologies for dragging this off topic
  • Options
    I was there when Murray said it & it was an insult, based on exasperation.
  • Options
    In context it was part of the wycombe post mortem.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

We know that's where both our hearts are......

The only reason I'd set foot in Upton Park is to watch the mighty Charlton give the Hammers a footballing lesson, same as we do every time we play there.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Covered End said: ''I was there when Murray said it & it was an insult, based on exasperation.''
    He signed the contract and I'm afraid I lost a lot of respect for him over that remark.

The chairman carries the can. He can't just say ''I'd never heard of the tosser, but I let  the idiot manager spend four million of my dosh on  him.''

Murray was 90 per cent good for the club. But that comment, and the stupid  remarks to Jordan and the not-unrelated Dowie poach, spoil his record.

But hey, this thread is about Pardew, not Murray. And I have to say, if Pardew had never managed Charlton, I'd be revelling in his success because I loved him as a player for us...
  • Options
    On Talksport today, they were talking him up to be the next England manager, and Matt Holland said he was a fantastic manager!
  • Options
    win yet again, can't knock it
    b*st*rd
  • Options
    Standard Charlton, just when things are going so well for us there is always a negative ! i'm hating seeing that tosspot getting the praise 
  • Options
    Paul Merson actually said this morning that if Redknapp doesn't want the England job, they've got to be looking at Alan Pardew.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. NO.