Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pardew: A good manager?

Comments

• Options
    Paul Merson actually said this morning that if Redknapp doesn't want the England job, they've got to be looking at Alan Pardew.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. NO.

The press guys on Sunday Supplement on Sky were saying the same thing, who would have believed that 12 months ago?

Mind you their next games are against Man Utd, Man City and Chelsea, so the wheels could come off big style.

• Options
    Pardew was never interested in managing outside the premiership. Once we failed to retain our Premier league status and then sold Reid and blew our chances of a quick return, Pardew wanted out. IMO he did everything he could to engineer his own departure whilst ensuring a nice big pay off. Just my opinion of course!
    His ad hoc, pointless signings and inconsistent statements defied logic at times and had many scratching their heads in disbelief.
  • Options
    i dont like him for obviousw reasons but have to say he is doing v well with his resouces at newcastle
  • Options
    Perhaps the reality is that there is a big gulf between the skills needed to manage a club in the Premiership and a club in League One. There are different skills again needed to manage England, I suspect.
  • Options
    Pardew's CV indicates he is a good manager, success at Reading, WHU and so far Newcastle, whilst one failure with us.  My feeling is he was at the right place (CAFC) at the the wrong time.

We were in freefall when he took over, Dowie had done to much damage and all though Pardew had the new manager impact it was already to late.  Uncle Les Reed's  short reign ensured relegation using up valuable time and games.

As is already high lighted in this thread, Pardew's biggest mistake was the re-shaping of the squad.  He tried to emulate the strategy used at WHU picking up supposedly young players on the up, from lower divisions.  Although this worked for him at WH perhaps the difference was he had just left Reading so had a real time personal knowlege of the lower divisions.  When he came to us he had been in the Premiership a while so would not have had the same view of lower division players. 

We were dreadful in his last game against Sheff Utd, but would he have turned it round to at least saved us from going down to the 3rd division we will never know, certainly Phil Parkinsons stint ensured we did.
  • Options
    He did 11 million on fees wages etc, on Gray, Mcleod and Varney, that says enough to me.
    For me as well. He had money and time and failed.

That being said, some of his signings shouldn't have been sanctioned by the board.
  • Options
    Watching Newcastle - Manchester United. Newcastle are 2-0 up with 35 mins left.. Really impressed by the Newcastle team. Maybe pardew ain't that bad after all?
  • Options
    Watching Newcastle - Manchester United. Newcastle are 2-0 up with 35 mins left.. Really impressed by the Newcastle team. Maybe pardew ain't that bad after all?

no credit for Pardew please... this has to be one of the worst Man U teams i've seen for a long time.

and both goals were lucky.

• Options

no credit for Pardew please... this has to be one of the worst Man U teams i've seen for a long time.

and both goals were lucky.

Can't help but feel what an underratted player Fletcher is/was for United
  • Options

pardew has done extremely well at newcastle

he was wank at us but has done well up there

ferdinanad all over the oche

can't believe dwight yorke tried to claim that wasn't worthy of a penalty in the first half

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2012

pardew has done extremely well at newcastle

he was wank at us but has done well up there

Agreed. Doing a splendid job and seems to have built a fantastic team spirit. So you have to ask why was he so utterly 'wank' at Charlton.

You begin to wonder how much of it was down to a dysfunctional boardroom  in that strange, strange period when the bizarre Derek G Chappell took over as chairman. I'm sure we all remember his  (barely literate) late night appearances on CL, which only  served to deepen the mystery of who he was and what he was all about.

Whatever happened to Del Boy, by the way - does he still attend matches at the Valley? I remember he claimed to have been watching since the 1960s, although none of the CL veterans who go back that far could  recall ever having seen or met him...
  • Options
    Tiote is pretty good.. Haven't seen a game with him before. 3-0
  • Options
    newcastle taking the piss out of man u now
  • Options
    3-0 FT.
  • Options
    yes he is .. at CAFC he was awful .. such is life
  • Options
    Dislike the man but damn he is doing well
  • Options
    The problem for Pardew and Newcastle is that they have three gems in Tiote, Cabaye and Ba - and the window is opening.

Even after selling Carroll and keeping the dough Ashley is still well out of pocket on the deal so if bids come in for any or all of those three - bearing in mind Newcastle no longer pay silly wages - then they will be sold and replaced cheaply.

I fecking hate Pardew but he has done very well there.
  • Options
    Had a colleague who was out drinking with him when they was playing an away game to Man City, they was at a club and he was drinking with her around 4am in the morning before the game. Wonder if he done that at Charlton, player or not you shouldn't be out the night before a game!
  • Options
    He is clearly a good manager, to be fair we had an awful time of it when he came in. Don't like him but doing a great job at toon . Demba Ba is one hell of a striker!!!! To think of the players he has had to sell as well you have to take your hat off. We now have SCP and I expect us to be playing against them within 5 years...... I hope.
  • Options
    He is clearly a good manager, to be fair we had an awful time of it when he came in. Don't like him but doing a great job at toon . Demba Ba is one hell of a striker!!!! To think of the players he has had to sell as well you have to take your hat off. We now have SCP and I expect us to be playing against them within 5 years...... I hope.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You could never accuse Pardew of not being brave with his tactics and it paid off today. I was looking at their squad though and the old Pardew problems are still there - decent enough first team, paper thin back-up. Everyone knows what happens if they lose Tiote, Cabaye and Ba, but what if they lose Krul? He's a decent keeper and other teams will be sniffing, maybe even United, and then what do you have? Robbie Elliot is what you have. No matter what you thought of him at this level, Premiership he aint, and that's true in positions all over the pitch. Ba's off the the ACN, so now Newcastle will be going up against teams with a frontline of Leon Best and Shola Ameobi - that's a Championship frontline. Coloccini and Taylor got injuries and they were replaced by a right back and whatever the hell James Perch is. He seriously needs to work on fitting out an entire squad or he'll end up getting caught out time and again
  • Options
    As we slid down the tables to a 13th place finish in the third tier it's amazing to think there were threads with let's all laugh at newcastle ,palace calling them joke clubs etc
    I mean the burying of heads in sand and la di da ing with fingers in the ears and denial of what was happening to us was bizarre to say the least
    Thank goodness for the new life breathed into the club by these new owners, whoever they may be but all club owners are good when things are rosey , it's when the shit hits the fan that you find out how good they really have been
    I have to be honest I can't believe how ashley has gotten newcastle back up to these heights and with parduped as manager , fair play to them

It'll never last :-)
  • Options
    I suspect the reason for the difference in Pardew's performance at Newcastle is that he has been luck and has appointed (or has had appointed for him) decent coaching staff and in particular John Carver as his assistant manger.  As we know all too well while he was here none of our players appeared to improve and get better - which all points to poor coaching.  We now have a management team that all appear to know a bit about coaching and look what happens. Parkinson was a nice guy - but I don't think he was much of a coach - as seems to be demonstrated yet again at Bradford City.
  • Options
    You can't really criticise the job he is doing there. I think he started ok with us but lost the plot and had to go but that doesn't mean he couldn't hack it in different circumstances- which he is currently proving. 
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Parkinson was a nice guy - but I don't think he was much of a coach - as seems to be demonstrated yet again at Bradford City.
    To be fair to Parky, he has taken Bradford to the giddy heights of 86th in the league. They were 90th , I think, when he took over!

And 'm not sure we can pin Pardew's failures on Parkinson. Looking at Pardew's success now , I have a  growing feeling  that it was his misfortune to manage Charlton during a  time  when the club was rapidly becoming totally dysfunctional off the field. I know it is an heretical view, but he may have been victim as well as villain.

Looking back, most of us were delighted when Pardew  was appointed and at the time he seemed like a perfect fit. In  many ways it was quite mystifying that it all went tits up so badly - which is why I think Charlton's freefall had at least as much to do with what was  going on off-the-field as what was happening in Pardew's on-field domain.
  • Options
    It was a difficult time as we had to sell our best players. I think he set about the job well enough but it all went badly wrong when we lost Reid. In our relegation season he had definitely lost the plot but maybe we should equally blame the other factors. In a more stable setting like he has now he seems pretty competent but I don't think he is a great manager.  
  • Options
    in retrospect i think it was the takeover talks that did for us ..less so pardew
  • Options

Pardew managed Charlton at a very difficult time, we were dead and burried when he took over and at one stage it looked like we would stay up so its unfair to Judge him on that, Ferguson and Wenger would have failed!!

Without a question he can mange a team and is good tactically but very poor in the transfer market, he has the makings of a good international manager

• Options
    Was so pleased when Pardew was appointed our Manager and sad that it didn't work out. Very difficult to stop a club on the slide.

In the end though, as previously said, he didn't have a clue and his ego/confidence was shot to pieces. He had to go.

If he hadn't have gone though, imho I think he would've done better than the next bloke.

Seems very slimy though!
  • Options
    Pardew not only failed to stop our rot, he became an integral part of it and made it worse.
    But all in all, I think it is okay to like him a little bit again.