Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton 4-0 Carlisle - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    So your views on Green being the best player other than Wiggins?  Still think he did better than Kermit?  BWP?  Jackson?

And no, the main purpose of the right midfielder is to do his job for the team.  Waggy does just that with goals and his supply of goals.  Deep crosses are not the only way to supply goals BTW.   Waggy does a great shift going forward and in defence but maybe because you see his role so narrowly ie crossing you miss the rest of what he does.

It's obvious you don't rate Waggy, just a shame you can't see what he brings to the team and why he was part of that long unbeaten run but I'm sure if Green had scored the goal Waggy hit v Bournemouth you'd be holding it up as proof that Danny was a "proper footballer"
  • Options

Waggy v Green - the problem is they aren't the same type of player. I prefer Green as a winger, but he doesn't track back as much as Waggy or have quite the same work rate as him. Wagstaff undeniably has a good eye for goal and I think his best position would be an inside right type of forward.

But as long as we are winning, I don't care.

• Options
    So your views on Green being the best player other than Wiggins?  Still think he did better than Kermit?  BWP?  Jackson?

And no, the main purpose of the right midfielder is to do his job for the team.  Waggy does just that with goals and his supply of goals.  Deep crosses are not the only way to supply goals BTW.   Waggy does a great shift going forward and in defence but maybe because you see his role so narrowly ie crossing you miss the rest of what he does.

It's obvious you don't rate Waggy, just a shame you can't see what he brings to the team and why he was part of that long unbeaten run but I'm sure if Green had scored the goal Waggy hit v Bournemouth you'd be holding it up as proof that Danny was a "proper footballer"
    Who is better?

Hmmm I like Waggy , but then i like Green also  ... there's only one way to find out ...... figggghhght!!!
  • Options

Completely agree.

In a pretty poor team last season Waggy scored 8 league goals and got 6 assists (our best in the league), so far this season he's on 2 goals and 2 assists. He's got far more to his game than just effort, it's just his strengths aren't what people want to see or expect in a winger.

Competition will help get the best out of both of them, and as I've said before there isn't as much between them as so often suggested.
  • Options

I don't miss any of what Waggy contributes, he frustrates me like mad. If you think Green is only about deep crosses, I suggest you watch him a little more closely. If you are quoting previous games try MK Dons away. Lewington had Wagstaff in his pocket all of the game, it must have been his easiest game of the season. Enter Danny Green, a great piece of skill takes him past Lewington and supplies a perfect cross for Kermit to score, that's class and brings to the team what Waggy doesn't. I have said it before on here, Waggy has not once gone past his full back all of last season and all of this, that's disgraceful for a winger. All he has got is push it and run and every fullback he comes up against are obviously well aware of it. If you are now saying that the role of a midfielder is to 'do a job for the team', unfortunately Wagstaff only does half a job then! If Powell was so confident in Wagstaff's ability, why did he bother to sign Green in the first place?

And yes, I do stand by my comment that apart from Wiggins, Green was the next best player.

• Options

I don't know what game you was watching Ben if you thought Green wasn't all that today, apart from Wiggy, best player on the pitch.

Really?  Green was better than Kermit?  No.  Better than Hughes? No.  Better than Jackson? No,  Better than BWP?  No.  better than Morrison, Solly or Taylor?  No.  Better than Hollands No.

Better than Hamer?  Yeah, maybe.  Just my opinion but have a look at the match ratings and I'm not the only one.

Green did OK but how many goals or chances did his crosses created?  Against 10 men remember.  How often did he come too deep?  At one point in the 2nd half he came back to collect a cross field ball intended for Solly.  So when he got it he was in his own half with no one in front of him to pass to and the move broke down

Green is a good player but Waggy put two very dangerous crosses in as soon as he came on.

As I've said before why can't you praise one player without running down another.  No need to dig Waggy out.
    Green played better than Jackson IMO.

For me Green had his best game of the league so far...we know what he is capable of...and to prove he played well their left back got sent off!-albeit with the second tackle on BWP.

The final decision is with Powell...for away games he might select Waggy or against the bigger teams.....but at the end of the day...Green is capable of being a match-winner for us.

• Options
    As for the game, nice to see us have a big win like that. Was expecting a win by 2 goals at best.

BWP and Kermorgant linked up much better. Not long ago we were debating on here whether we needed an alternative to Hayes rather than BWP. We now have a target man who is more than just a big lump, he's scoring goals and Hayes has better competition than he had before.

Green had a good game, we knew what he was capable of, but he has to keep it up. Wasn't sure how Hughes would do after hearing the team but pleased he did well. In the cup games he gave the ball away a bit too often but he kept the ball well yesterday.

Solly and the centre backs were solid as the usually have been and Wiggins was a real threat going forward.

Should keep the same team for Tuesday, it's not as if Stephens has been at his best recently.
  • Options
    In the immortal words of Lou Reed this was indeed "the perfect day".

The sun shone and there was plenty of brown sauce on my large pre-match burger with extra onions. 

Father of Grumpy, brother of Grumpy and two sons of Grumpy  all sitting together in the NWQ.

Great atmosphere. Over 16,000 in the Valley.

3-0 up at half time. Their player sent off after BWP clearly fouls him to win possession.

Hamer saves their penalty. Saint Jason, the prodigal son, makes inspired cameo appearance.

The Charlton back four looks more solid than the European Central Bank and we look like scoring every time we go forward.

Their keeper is the worst I have ever seen and must have won his place in a fund-raising auction. He lets in a daisy cutter and then castrates his centre-back while collecting simple cross. You couldn't make it up

Green nearly scores direct from corner.

Wiggins looks like a loan signing from Barcelona not last season's second choice left-back for Bournemouth.

Solly looks like a young Lee Dixon with personality.

Even Hughes worked his wig off for the team.

We were so much better than Carlisle I actually felt sorry for their loyal travelling support. At least they will have enjoyed a sun tan. Shame it will have faded by the time their coach gets back home.

Even the ref awarded Carlisle every decision in the second half and ignored our clear penalty in a vain attempt to try and make a game of it. You couldn't  really blame him under the circumstances. They couldn't even get their late substitution right - trying to replace with No 13 with their completely different err..Number 13. 

I was smiling so much my face started to ache after 67 minutes. Thank you God and Saint Christopher.

"Your gonna reap, reap, reap  what you sow..."
  • Options
    Henners you have the wrong colour hair for my tongue to ever be in your cheek ,

Everyone else who has lost their humour I was jesting after a few pints

• Options
    Just lovin' that post, Grumps !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't miss any of what Waggy contributes, he frustrates me like mad. If you think Green is only about deep crosses, I suggest you watch him a little more closely. If you are quoting previous games try MK Dons away. Lewington had Wagstaff in his pocket all of the game, it must have been his easiest game of the season. Enter Danny Green, a great piece of skill takes him past Lewington and supplies a perfect cross for Kermit to score, that's class and brings to the team what Waggy doesn't. I have said it before on here, Waggy has not once gone past his full back all of last season and all of this, that's disgraceful for a winger. All he has got is push it and run and every fullback he comes up against are obviously well aware of it. If you are now saying that the role of a midfielder is to 'do a job for the team', unfortunately Wagstaff only does half a job then! If Powell was so confident in Wagstaff's ability, why did he bother to sign Green in the first place?

And yes, I do stand by my comment that apart from Wiggins, Green was the next best player.

Waggy isn't a typical winger though? He might play there but like Jackson his strength isn't beating defenders. He has pace but even at this level that's not enough to beat players unless space opens up.

He does a job for the team in the way that several players did for Curbishley. Robinson, Stuart, Hughes, Kishishev etc - none anything like a typical winger but all did a job in a successful team.

There's a reason Powell, Parky, Pardew and his coaches at youth level all rated him.
  • Options
    I like Waggy coming on against tiring defenders.  Changing the subject, to be honest you look at Kermogant, BWP, Jackson and Wiggins and think what the hell are they doing in league 1? Still we can't complain can we?
  • Options
    Henners you have the wrong colour hair for my tongue to ever be in your cheek ,

Everyone else who has lost their humour I was jesting after a few pints

Outrageous! you'll be singing and dancing next!
  • Options
    Just watched the highlights... quality play by Wiggins down the left. Love it!
  • Options

For those who predicted an ignominious defeat portions of humble pie are currently being served, please indicate whether you would like yours served hot or cold.

Although it's great to be on top, we weren't that brilliant versus the 10-man Cumbrians and we weren't that awful in Stevenage's cup final. It's all a matter of degree and if we're better than the rest including (one of) Wednesday and Huddersfield, then we'll be promoted...(never mind Solly's too small and Hollands' and Waggy extremely average).
  • Options
    The interesting thing about comparing this week to last is how small the difference between them really is. A few players changed and a slight tweak of tactics and you go from dross to champion material, and vice versa. It's easy to be a manager from the stands or behind a keyboard but it made me realise how hard and responsible a job any manager really has.
  • Options
    Essex Al absolutely right about Wagstaff. When did he last pulverise his fullback?.. However, as an extremely fit pair of legs coming off the bench in a more central role (as at Sheff Utd), he could make a telling contribution.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited October 2011
    When was the last time Jackson 'pulverised' his fullback?
  • Options
    Very true. He's a winger who doesn't play like one. Not a criticism but i would like to see him play in the middle. 
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    This.

What is it with Charlton fans and wingers? They are the first to be slagged off or ridiculed when they don't spend 90 minutes dashing round the full-back and slashing in a cross so dangerous that it came with a 'do not approach' recommendation from Interpol. 

Thank God almighty that Wagstaff has some stats to back up his ability (not that anyone who doesn't rate him takes any notice, mind), otherwise they'd be using the age old phrase that has been repeated a bajillion times of our wingers: "Yeahh but he's got no end product".

If you're ever leaving a game and see a 20something man standing on top of a car, jumping up and down screaming "NO END PRODUCT!? NO END PRODUCT! NO END PRODUCT! NO END PRODUCT!" Come over and say hello, and when I've calmed down we can have a beer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If any winger was speeding past his full back and putting in dangerous crosses all the time they would not be playing in league one
  • Options
    Jackson isnt a winger, he is a wide midfielder. Totally different
  • Options
    @ 4-0 up we needed to close the game out , Waggy comes on and we all know how brilliant his defensive work with solly is .....job done
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    The big difference from Saturday and Tranmere and Stevenage was that there were spells when we played football that was from a higher league. Pass -Pass - incisive pass -chance-nice and quick- it is the type of football Powell is looking for and if we do it 5 or 6 times a game we will open up every team in this league that tries to compete with us. The problem is, what do you do when you play a team of lumps who want to kick you and give you no time - that is what we have to master (especially on the tighter pitches) and could be our achilles heel but I think we'll sort it out. Preston and Huddersfield coming up look hard on paper but they will try to outplay us and that will play into our hands - I can see us winning both of those as long as we do well in these upcoming away games and confidence is high..
  • Options

I don't know what game you was watching Ben if you thought Green wasn't all that today, apart from Wiggy, best player on the pitch.

Really?  Green was better than Kermit?  No.  Better than Hughes? No.  Better than Jackson? No,  Better than BWP?  No.  better than Morrison, Solly or Taylor?  No.  Better than Hollands No.

Better than Hamer?  Yeah, maybe.  Just my opinion but have a look at the match ratings and I'm not the only one.

Green did OK but how many goals or chances did his crosses created?  Against 10 men remember.  How often did he come too deep?  At one point in the 2nd half he came back to collect a cross field ball intended for Solly.  So when he got it he was in his own half with no one in front of him to pass to and the move broke down

Green is a good player but Waggy put two very dangerous crosses in as soon as he came on.

As I've said before why can't you praise one player without running down another.  No need to dig Waggy out.
    This
  • Options
    Green had a good game- we will all be looking at different things but pointless arguing how good.
  • Options

Firstly it was nice to be so accurate with my forecast of a low scoring draw !

Definitely a game of two halves. The first half was the best I have seen us play for a long time, the second half was the consistently worst performance from a Referee for a long time. If anyone at the FA looks back at the two penalty decisions, the name Specsavers will  surely be mentioned.

Good decisions from CP to bring back Solly, and to retain Green and Kermorgant. Perhaps we are all guilty, I certainly am, of forgetting that the job of Manager is still a learning process for CP. For me Wiggins was outstanding in an excellent team performance. I think the automatic places will probably go to the wire, and small decisions might make a big difference. One thing is certain, I am having the most fun I've had for a long time, and for the powers that be, please note that my forecast for all home games now is for a low scoring draw !

• Options
    I thought the Carlisle penalty was a stonewall penalty from the highlights.
  • Options
    So just a few quick bits from me (only about our players as the ref and other things have been covered), Hughes played very very well and I actually think he helped the side, especially with his experience.  Wiggins gets better every game and was a constant threat, he is fast becoming a Brazilian style fullback.  Other than that the rest played well.
  • Options
    Wiggins was my MOTM but I don't think he'll come up against a full back as unintelligent as Carlisle's again soon. In the second half Wiggy would cut in every time onto his right and every time the FB never saw it coming. Mad