Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wycombe 1 - 2 Charlton - Post Match Views

edited October 2011 in General Charlton
A nerve racking session for us speccy keyboard geeks on the Match Thread, looking forward to hearing from 'Proper Charlton' who made the trip.

Comments

• Top of the league with a three point gap - perfect.  
  • too nervey to listen to the radio but a great result

and he has changed the team to his considered best 11 (hughes the exception) and it's working so the tinkering was worth it

we won and the one sub was it at the right time for all the whingers moaning about them

results fell reasonable for us this evening and we're ten points from outside the play offs and five from outside the autos

long may this continue

30% automatics 70% play off bants

ONE AIM

• Made the classic mistake of walking away from the laptop at half-time to get some breakfast and thinking, "This is going to be a nice stroll in the second half, probably win at least 3-0."

Charlton never do that, do they?

• Couldn't bear to check the scores more than three times. The third time I checked we had just conceded. Sat on my hands until safe to check - great result! Kept a winning team. These games are often banana skins especially after a great home performance.

Results elsewhere went with us. Can't do more than keep winning. It puts pressure on the chasers to stay with us.

COYR!
  • edited October 2011
    Was at the game,

Worked hard first half and played some nice football, should have put it to bed, second half we was comfortable untill they scored. Then we done normal charlton and sat back. Wasn't as nervy in the ground, good support from charlton 1 350 I would have said in their. The strip bar worked wonders for the confidence aswell.

Top of the league

One aim end of

Coyr
  • No cards in a D'urso reffed game. 
  • Can't complain. Yet another win on the road. Well done to the boys. Hartlepool won't fancy us on Saturday after a bad result tonight. COYR
  • Listened to Radio London on Sky.  At exactly the moment Wycombe scored the text on the blue screen changed the say they were covering Palarse v Stains - odd.

Great result, despite the pressure at the end.

Good to see we didn't pick up any cards either.  We're now second to Chesterfield in the fair play league.   I think that could stand us in good stead, our rivals seem to be picking up a lot more cards than us, and may pay the price with more suspensions.  
  • Listened to it on the radio but i thought it would be nice to lay in bed and relax while i listened. Fatal mistake dozed off 10 minutes before the end (its been a long day for me). Panic !!!!!!!!  just woke up and pushed every button i could find on the computer and give the mouse harsh treatment to get the result quickly.

What a win . They all count. onwards and upwards COYR
  • Sponsored links:

• Wecan draw on Saturday now and still be comfortable. Good stuff.
  • edited October 2011
    My first game this season aside from Woking and Aldershot Pre-Season so some questions and observations:

~ They got at us for first 30 mins of 2nd half and deserved a goal, maybe a point
    ~ Easy to see why Robbie was let go with Hamer around
    ~ CBs both comfortable
    ~ Why does Hughes play centre mid as he wears #2 ?
    ~ J J was solid but wasn't he a full back last season ?
    ~ Green not as great as the hype
    ~ Solly and Wiggins did well
    ~ BWP seemed to strop off at the end while the rest of the team and subs applauded the crowd
    ~ If that away end takes 2,000 then we must have had 1,600 there which would be good turnstile sales on the night
    ~ For the first time in ever we looked the physically bigger team
  • just see goals on sky and it looks to me that kermo and BWP can work , well tinkered SCP
  • edited October 2011
    A bit of a disjointed display but got the job done.

Thought the centre backs were excellent, full-backs weren't as good as they have been in previous games.

Only just getting out the frickin car park.
  • edited October 2011
    Not great. Didnt create a clear chance second half. Decent 3 points and 3 ugly points are just as welcome as Saturdays.
  • edited October 2011
    Good first half in total control, 2nd half we were solid at the back but we never tested their keeper.

Hamer was unlucky with the goal, looked like two good saves before it fell to them for a rebound. We weren't great 2nd half, but we grinded out a win, something no-one else around us managed tonight.
  • Listened to Radio London on Sky.  At exactly the moment Wycombe scored the text on the blue screen changed the say they were covering Palarse v Stains - odd.

Great result, despite the pressure at the end.

Good to see we didn't pick up any cards either.  We're now second to Chesterfield in the fair play league.   I think that could stand us in good stead, our rivals seem to be picking up a lot more cards than us, and may pay the price with more suspensions.  
    I was noticing that the other day as well - particularly compared to last season, we don't seem to be picking up many bookings.  Good times.
  • Sky reporter said both full backs and centre backs very good.Nice to hear.

• wasn't there, but what i would say is going away midweek, playing under the lights in a little tight ground, in heavy rain against a lesser team, and coming away with three points, is damn impressive.

Cracking stuff.
  • Just showed the goals on SSN. Cracking overhead kick from Kermorgant that hit the post for BWP's goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• An away win is always good.

Interesting to see that Tranmere are now 6th so perhaps drawing with them was not quite the disaster it seemed at the time. Two of our three home draws have been against top 6 sides as things stand and the third, Scunthorpe, held unbeaten Huddersfield tonight.

A wet night away from home and 3 points shows character. Hopefully we keep it going and achieve our ONE AIM!

COYR
  • green I believe not kermogant
  • A bit of a disjointed display but got the job done.

Thought the centre backs were excellent, full-backs weren't as good as they have been in previous games.

You were sitting in front of me. I left on 90mins and was home in Swanley by 1045
  • Onwards and upwards!

You were sitting in front of me. I left on 90mins and was home in Swanley by 1045
    Did you teleport?

Junction 3 on M25 here.
  • It was a fairly comfortable win, although Wycombe's comeback goal gave them an extra spring in their heel. I thought we weathered their flurry fairly comfortably, to be honest. It was a bit scrappy at times, but Wycombe played a lot of long balls in the second half, which bobbed back and forth. The central defenders were outstanding and Hughes, as Len observed on Saturday, was always in the thick of it and never hiding. BWP's goals were both well taken.

Did you teleport?

Junction 3 on M25 here.
    On the M40 well before 10pm! I parked about 50 yards from the entrance for a fiver.
  • Just got back in.Spent 45 minutes in the bloody car park. I want us to get promoted just so I never have to go back there again.

Wycombe were surprsingly good in the air and we didn't win much there, even at the back, but we worked hard for the second ball. Hughes had a good first half and a dreadful second half. First half was Carlisle, second was Brentford for him. He managed a great chip to Wiggins for the first goal, then every ball towards the box from then on sailed out of play. Towards the end he started giving the ball away cheaply and falling over. As usual Bradley was outstanding

We never really controlled the game but we took our chances well. Could have done without the Kevin Lisbie song though. The support was outstanding apart from that
  • Very comfortable first half without being spectacular after getting the early goal. Great overhead from Kermorgant, deserved the goal itself, but BWP shows his striking instinct again by being the only player on the move to get the rebound.

Wanted a second goal before half time to show for our control which arrived from a nice bit of football and good finish from BWP again.

Looked OK at the start of the second half before Wycombe started to get into it more and then scored after three attempts, first two saved well by Hamer. After that was a bit nervy, but the fans kept us going.

Not a fantastic performance by any means, but a lovely away win when a couple of our rivals faltered. Can't ask for any more than that.

• wasn't there, but what i would say is going away midweek, playing under the lights in a little tight ground, in heavy rain against a lesser team, and coming away with three points, is damn impressive.

Cracking stuff.

Didn't rain during the game as far as I could tell