Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Huddersfield fixture - ed. NOW ON Sky Monday night

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Saturday 20 thousand plus ,Monday night maybe 13 thousand at a push and very little away support ,against a fat cheque from Sky.I know it's the way of the world nowadays but how I long for a return to putting fans first!
    Would you also like a crumbling Valley with open terraces and toilets that are basically peeing up against a brick wall while it all runs over your shoes?

Like them or loathe them Sky have funded the transformation from a dying, decaying environment full of hooligans, racists and foul mouthed thugs into modern stadia with facilities that can rival the best theatres the West End has to offer, with a family environment that we would all be willing to take our wives, mothers and children to. The whole of The Valley is covered with unrestricted views of the pitch and the other magnificent stands that would challenge the best the country had in the late 80s.

If a couple of times a year we have to make a few changes to our schedules I think that it a very small price to pay for what modern football has become.

This is before you consider the exposure that the game (and all the teams) gets today. Back in the 70s and early 80s Charlton only had their goals televised once or twice a year at most, never mind being able to see all the goals from all our games within 24 hours of the game.

I think Sky has, literally, revolutionised our game. Sure the money has caused some problems, but the conditions that we watch football in these days are just magnificent compared to what we had.

Oh, and did I mention that I couldn't make the 26th but I can make the 28th?

;-)
  • Options
    I really don't see what relevance being on sky has to our performance, that is just superstitious nonsense. Nobody was whining when the away games at Orient, brentford(jpt) and Luton(fa cup) were shown last season.
    We got over 16,000 against Sheffield Wednesday earlier in the season and the Huddersfield game is now a much bigger game so why can't we get at least 18/19,000.
    My two boys are aged 8 and 11 and will definitely both be going.
    Cheer up folks - were top of the league!
  • Options
    My eldest is 11 and although he missed the sheff wed game i think it was as it was the night before the first day of secondary school, he won't be missing this one i'm sure. Nothing wrong with missing a couple of hours sleep every now and then. If you don't wear the trousers in your house then you may not agree.
  • Options
    Sleep is for the weak.
  • Options
    Gutted - going to see Kasabian on the Monday night!!
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Question for parents who aren't taking kids because it's monday night. What age is acceptable for them to go along on a school night? I was going to night games regularly aged 9 and it was never a problem. I turned out alright!
    Question for parents who aren't taking kids because it's monday night. What age is acceptable for them to go along on a school night? I was going to night games regularly aged 9 and it was never a problem. I turned out alright!
    That is debatable : - )

Joe's 12.  Maybe in a few years time although the correct answer is when lady Irving says it is.

I started taking my kids when they were 6. I just checked their 1st evening game tickets. Can't see a problem for a one off.
  • Options
    Fans are scum Sky is God.
  • Options
    That is debatable : - )

Joe's 12.  Maybe in a few years time although the correct answer is when lady Irving says it is.

I remember being dragged to a midweek away game against Tranmere after my first day of Middle School, I think was 10 at the time (bear in mind I lived in the Midlands).

Get the kids down there - it's a big game and one late night won't kill em.

• Options
    Huddersfield are offering free coach travel for the first 500 who buy tickets through their travel club. So they could still have up to 1000 in the away end.
  • Options
    I was going to bring 3 others on the saturday, now looks like it will just be me for the monday trip :(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2011

Would you also like a crumbling Valley with open terraces and toilets that are basically peeing up against a brick wall while it all runs over your shoes?

Like them or loathe them Sky have funded the transformation from a dying, decaying environment full of hooligans, racists and foul mouthed thugs into modern stadia with facilities that can rival the best theatres the West End has to offer, with a family environment that we would all be willing to take our wives, mothers and children to. The whole of The Valley is covered with unrestricted views of the pitch and the other magnificent stands that would challenge the best the country had in the late 80s.

If a couple of times a year we have to make a few changes to our schedules I think that it a very small price to pay for what modern football has become.

This is before you consider the exposure that the game (and all the teams) gets today. Back in the 70s and early 80s Charlton only had their goals televised once or twice a year at most, never mind being able to see all the goals from all our games within 24 hours of the game.

I think Sky has, literally, revolutionised our game. Sure the money has caused some problems, but the conditions that we watch football in these days are just magnificent compared to what we had.

;-)
    KHA. You're not correct. You have Lord Scarman rather than Sky to thank for the transformation of the Valley and other grounds. The Valley was already transformed to a comfortable all-seater before we got hold of significant Sky money in 1998. The vast majority of the Sky money has gone into the pockets of players and their agents. If you want more evidence, look to Germany. Fantastic stadia, sod all Sky or similar TV money. Sky deserve some credit but nowhere near as much as you are dishing out.

And I am very pissed off about Huddersfield but thankfully Airman told me to wait before booking a flight. I was ready to come over for that one. It is not right, the way Sky are allowed to behave.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I take my 10 year old to evening games - changes into PJs in car for journey home- cleans his teeth then falls asleep for the hour plus journey. I carry him to bed when we get home. Mind you not sure how long i'm going to be able to do that for!!!

Wish soembody would do that for me - bloody sh*t being an adult!
  • Options
    Don't know that I will be taking my son since he has school the next day and it will be  close on midnight by the time I get back home after the match.

KHA, prague addick is correct that scarman did much of the work in changing the way that stadiums accomodate fans. SKY have contributed to finances but  the amount for the season is fixed per division and SKY can then decide, as they have done, at short notice to muck around with the fixture list of the league 1 clubs without paying a penny extra.

Look at the costs of running the Valley for an evening fixture midweek as against a normal Saturday afternoon, the costs will be higher and the revenue lower and not a penny extra from SKY. The League has to build into its negotiations with SKY that where fixtures are changed at short notice at the behest of the broadcaster and, as a result, revenue is lost that some additional compensation is paid to the club at least amounting to the differnece between the average attendance receipts and the actual attendance receipt. My sympathy is with the club and the owners who have been stiffed by the broadcasters of revenue that was probablyin their financial model for the year.  We have individually lost out as fans as well  but it is our club that has been legged over.
  • Options
    im happy for my son to come but the other parents wont let them come.My Mrs will say no then Joe will go on at her contiuosly for 3 weeks and he will end up going.
  • Options

There is a season-ticket holder offer of two guest tickets for £10 already.

Is that £10 for each ticket or £10 for both?
  • Options
    each
  • Options

;-)
    KHA. You're not correct. You have Lord Scarman rather than Sky to thank for the transformation of the Valley and other grounds. The Valley was already transformed to a comfortable all-seater before we got hold of significant Sky money in 1998. The vast majority of the Sky money has gone into the pockets of players and their agents. If you want more evidence, look to Germany. Fantastic stadia, sod all Sky or similar TV money. Sky deserve some credit but nowhere near as much as you are dishing out.

And I am very pissed off about Huddersfield but thankfully Airman told me to wait before booking a flight. I was ready to come over for that one. It is not right, the way Sky are allowed to behave.

The Valley was, indeed transformed by 1998, but the further developments would not have been possible without the Sky TV money.

My comment about Sky, however, was more aimed at the changes that have happened in attitudes towards football and the whole football experience. The culture of football was changed from the top down. Without the tv money many of the things that we now take for granted would not have happened.

I take what you say about Germany, but I'm not sure they had the same hooligan problems we had in the 80s. I don't know how they funded their super stadia, but with cheap tickets I doubt they have been built from the money that came through the turnstiles, and in th absence of that injection of capital in the UK I'm not sure we would have the same stadia over here without the TV money.

My real point was that if we had never allowed the commercial (TV) revenue into the game we would not have seen the development of the stadia and the media coverage that we see today. Irrespective as to what has been achieved in Germany, I can't see where else the money would have come from in the UK.
  • Options
    look at average gates pre sky look at average gates now
  • Options
    Delighted I can now watch the game with my Huddersfield supporting room mate
  • Options
    look at average gates pre sky look at average gates now

Correlation is not causation.

Gates were rising before Sky. Causes were probably the decline in hooliganism, improvement of grounds and England's performance in Italia 1990.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    each
    Cheers Mike.
  • Options
    Don't know why there's this general sense of disgruntlement with Sky. We owe it all to them. After all, didn't they invent football in 1992?
  • Options

I do understand the frustration of a change in fixtures, esp when it is from a Sat afternoon to a Monday night, but the moaning about late notice, get a grip ...............its a month away, not a week !!,  How much notice do you want ???????

My main moan is that you son has recently got into coming and is gutted he wont be able to go (he;s 8 - I think he's too young to be up after10pm on a school night).............although he will be able to watch it at home  (well, the first half at least ) as I sleep with the devil & subcribe to Sky Sports via Virgin Media !

• Options

I do understand the frustration of a change in fixtures, esp when it is from a Sat afternoon to a Monday night, but the moaning about late notice, get a grip ...............its a month away, not a week !!,  How much notice do you want ???????

We don't all live on the doorstep like you, Golfie - if you are making arrangements to travel from Scotland or Prague or Portugal, then you tend to book over a month in advance.  Try and have a bit more consideration sometimes, mate...
  • Options
    Seconded. Travelling from Cornwall  as  a season ticket holder,  need to get tickets early for train travel, not just me but there must be a lot of us have moved away, but still get to the valley.  My decision to move here i know:-)
  • Options
    Well p***ed off, had checked the OS a few months back for Sky fixtures before buying flight & hotel for weekend (cheapskate so its non-refundable!), so to get less than a months notice of changed fixture is a real bummer.  Heading to Hartlepool tomorrow so if you watch the highlights tomorrow look for a fat Scottish streaker with the F*** Sky banner!!
  • Options
    Gutted on nights
  • Options
    Hope you double bogie every hole in your next round golfie... ;-)