Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England vs Spain.

Comments

• Options
    Parker is just bloody unbelievable.  Thats somethng like 8 MOTM awards in 9 matches.  Does the bloke ever get bloody tired?  Just thankful we've got 9 days til out next game.
  • Options
    Parker should have been a fixture in the side for the last 6 or 7 years. 

Was good enough for England when he played for us 8 years ago... Although the West Ham loving media believe he came through their academy and started playing pro in 2007

• Options
    Can't believe the disloyalty on here (apart from Leroy,who is allowed). Spain are a better team than England, and will almost certainly win, wont stop me supporting England, in the same way I have continued to support Charlton over the past few years. 

Hey, how wrong I was! Very good tactical performance from England, rode their luck at times of course, but how often have we (Charlton) watched games where we have walked out thinking lady luck has deserted us, only to read that the opposition had played a great game? 

• Options
    Scott Parker is what England have been missing the last few years, different class tonight.
    Being saying this for some time now.Criminal that he didn't go to South Africa
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Parker is just bloody unbelievable.  Thats somethng like 8 MOTM awards in 9 matches.  Does the bloke ever get bloody tired?  Just thankful we've got 9 days til out next game.
    He never leaves anything in the tank - just gives everything. I can't remember another player who has done that so consistently.
  • Options
    Spain definitely wanted to win, and were the better side - but hardly created any chances of note (other than Fabregas, who should have scored with his eyes shut, and Silva's shot). No point knocking the ball around like champions if you can't put the ball in the net. Parker was immense, and I thought Lescott played well too.

Highlights a big weakness for Spain - opposition pack midfield and defend deep, and they have trouble working their way into the box to create actual chances. Also, Iniesta is not the same player without Xavi - witness the way the midfield lost shape when Xavi was subbed.

Spain were the better side? They couldn't score and also let one in. As the idea of the game is to score more than you let in I'd say England were the better side?
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    England won that game becuase of Bent and Parker. It has taken England managers too long to see their qualities!!!!As a manager, when writing down you team, you always start with your goalscorer (well at least that is what I thought) -Bent is the top English goalscorer in the Premiership (and has been for years) which is one of the strongest leagues! Parker has workrate, skill and energy but still keeps it simple- the sort of player every manager would want in the middle!
  • Options
    That was a good result from England against Spain. The England midfield was really good. Great to see Darren Bent get the assist.

Parker should have stayed with Charlton, (in which we looked like we could have made a top 5 finish that season). Hard to resist a tripling of your wages, I know but that move to Chelsea wrecked the early part of his career as Chelsea had no intention of playing him. It appeared that the move was mostly intended for Chelsea to wreck a rival team at the top.

Parker could have moved on at the end of that season to a different club. He is a class player and it is a shame (to England's detriment as well as himself), that he has not played more games for the national team.

Sven Goran Erickson's decision not to take Darren Bent and give the place to Walcott, was disgraceful (as was Capello not taking Walcott to South Africa). If Darren Bent plays, there is always a chance that he will score, he just needs the game time.
  • Options
    Not many posts commenting on this game now eh?
    Rather watch my club over my country?
    Couldn't care less if England are playing?
    Good result.
    For those who continually bleat about our national side.
    Your everything that's wrong about this country.
  • Options
    Look forward to 8 months of "we're the greatest team in the world, we're gonna win the Euro" based on one friendly result.

And think how much bigger the win would have been with JT & Stevie G.  They have to play, surely, for everything they've done for England!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    enjoyed it ----  been ages since i have enjoyed an England game.  The two ex CAFC peeps did their part. Great header from Bent and MotM for Parker. Thought the central two in defence did well.

As our good mate the Jocks pointed out after beating our World Cup winners  we are now Champions of the World,

If Spain had gone 1 nil up or scored early we all know it would have been very different---but they didnt.
  • Options

Parker should have stayed with Charlton, (in which we looked like we could have made a top 5 finish that season). Hard to resist a tripling of your wages, I know but that move to Chelsea wrecked the early part of his career as Chelsea had no intention of playing him. It appeared that the move was mostly intended for Chelsea to wreck a rival team at the top.

Parker's career moves have not been particularly good ones. I think the move the Chelsea did his career no good. He is now playing in a good side that play good football under a good manager (not that HMRC would agree). He will hold his place now for the next few years.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Not a very convincing performance, going forward we looked like a bunch of strangers most of the time but hey we won ugly, so let's take some well deserved consolation from that. We also defended very well as a unit.

Have to say that the standard of our crossing, on the few occasions we had the opportunity, was absolutely woeful.

• Options
    everything that's wrong with this country? Moaning about the national side? I can think of worse crimes.

• Options

Leroy AmbroseNovember 12Quote

Highlights a big weakness for Spain - opposition pack midfield and defend deep, and they have trouble working their way into the box to create actual chances. Also, Iniesta is not the same player without Xavi - witness the way the midfield lost shape when Xavi was subbed.

That's what has been happening in La Liga this season to Barcelona. They've dropped quite a few points already,  especially away from home.

• Options
    I was hosting a box there through my work yesterday. Absolutely unbelievable experience - top notch in every way. Don't think I could do that sort of thing too often though - and certainly not for a Charlton match.

Also, stood up throughout the whole game and not even a hint of a steward telling us to sit down - although they were on the case quick enough when I tried taking a beer outside two hours before kick off when the stadium was completely empty!
  • Options
    enjoyed it ----  been ages since i have enjoyed an England game.  The two ex CAFC peeps did their part. Great header from Bent and MotM for Parker. Thought the central two in defence did well.

As our good mate the Jocks pointed out after beating our World Cup winners  we are now Champions of the World,

If Spain had gone 1 nil up or scored early we all know it would have been very different---but they didnt.
    Only works if nobody had beaten them since they won the World Cup, so I'm afraid the open top bus will have to stay on ice.

Currently it's held by Japan
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Talking of which, the Japanese FA continue to work wonders.
    Players from schools in North East Japan still affected by the tsunami - and many are still not yet rebuilt - are coming over to play London-based Japanese schoolboys at Wembley on 24th November.
  • Options

Just got back, Spain looked half the team without Xavi and Silva, and overplayed when they got close to the box.

Parker was great second half, but then he wasn't been schooled by Xavi.

Misleading scoreline, Holland or Germany would have smashed us.                                                                  if we did that against germany youwould have said Spain  would have smashed us.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Best England game I've seen in a while. Cappelo should just play the youngsters as they actually care about playing for their country. 

Parker was pure class as well and deserved MOTM.

Jagielka and Lescott were both rocks at the back.

Forget Terry and the 'big' name players we don't need them.

Looking forward to the Euro's now even though we still won't win.     
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Like many others, expected England to lose this one (although not heavily as some predicted). Watched it just because I had nothing better to do and was glad I did. Thought we put on a good show of how to contain the flair of what is the best national team in the world. Felt a bit sorry for Bent as he was isolated up front, feeding off scraps.
    Parker put in a good shift and showed why he's MOTM every week for spurs.

However, despite Parkers performance, I personally thought Lescott should have got MOTM. He was calm and assured all evening.
  • Options

Does anyone know where i can watch this online as i do not have a tv.  I though you could watch itv 1 live online but i cannot seem to find it...

• Options
    England just scored their 2,000th goal.  
  • Options

Actually Sweden scored it for us.

• Options

Actually Sweden scored it for us.

There's no way Gareth Barry should be able to claim that.  It was going about 20 yards bloody wide without the deflection
  • Options
    Your boy was MOM, and rightly so JBoy
  • Options
    Kyle walker is class, a right footed version of ashley Cole...Cole is the best left back in the game imo and I think walker has all the attributes to become the best right back.....
  • Options
    We should have won that 3-0 but I'm not moaning as England have won two games in a row against teams that aren't Andorra or San Marino. 
  • Options
    Best England game I've seen in a while. Cappelo should just play the youngsters as they actually care about playing for their country. 

The 3 you have named are aged 31, 29 and 29. It wasn't about having the youngsters play, it was about breaking up the 'untouchables'. I still don't think we will do particularly well at the Euros but think there is a base of players coming through that should be good for the future. However, if a certain manager is put in after next summer I'm sure he will only pick his favourites anyway.
  • Options

The 3 you have named are aged 31, 29 and 29. It wasn't about having the youngsters play, it was about breaking up the 'untouchables'. I still don't think we will do particularly well at the Euros but think there is a base of players coming through that should be good for the future. However, if a certain manager is put in after next summer I'm sure he will only pick his favourites anyway.
    It still remains to be seen that Capello will not start the first game of the Euros with Gerrard, Lampard, Terry etc. Even with all these new players I'm still not 100% convinced.