Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Halifax 0 - 4 Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Missed most of the game watching my son's game.  Got back in the car as it became 2 - 0.

Seemed we did a job without playing them off the park but game time for a lot of fringe players and subs.
    Henry............couldn't you have got your son to fake a tonsilitus attack...you aint 'true Charlton' till you've done that!
  • Options
    Not a great performance, but 20mins aside we didnt look ruffled.

Front two were poor, Wagstaff didnt really throw the gauntlet down either.

Evina needs to be involved more. Think he would be a good option from the bench.

Think the size of the ground and the decent pitch helped us. Was expecting more atmosphere but most of the noise seemed to come from the 300 odd who made the trip.

Hope to see Smith and Pritchard involved on Tuesday.
  • Options
    A game we didnt look like losing and one we may have lost under previous management. Solly and Hollands outstanding. Good showing from Evina.

Halifax played well enough and are as good or better than some league one teams on that showing. Let's hope we make it to round 3
  • Options
    Well played Halifax, looked a tidy footballing side, passed it around well and have a couple of decent players who could easily step a level or two. A tidy looking ground as well, they could be back in the League soon.
  • Options
    We got the job done against a spirited Halifax side.

the score line faltered us.

Euell looks way past it.

Our Centre backs were our biggest threat.

Sullivan looks better than hamer.

Smith looked good for the short time when he came on.

An average performance from the team but very happy with the result. 

COYR!!!!!!!!!! 
    Agree with that apart from the Sullivan bit, not really sure how you could come to that conclusion.
  • Options
    Anyone questioning matt taylor's man of the match. he got a goal a assist and a clean sheet. not bad for a defender..
  • Options
    Anyone questioning matt taylor's man of the match. he got a goal a assist and a clean sheet. not bad for a defender..
    He should definitely have scored two though.  Just not good enough.

;)
  • Options
    I find some of the comments rather strange. We won 4-0. Sullivan only had to make one half decent save. They shaved the bar but the replay suggested that Sullivan had it covered had it dropped below bar height. They had a couple of other half or quarter chances but other than the goals the next best chance was Taylor's header in the first half. Without being brilliant we did a job. I'm struggling to remember any of these televised games from the first round where the supposed giant, be it ourselves, Leeds, Sheff Wednesday,etc has cruised past the minnows playing scintillating football. Two years we were well beaten by Northwich, last year taken to a replay by Luton. This year we won 4-0 away.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Just home from the match.

Our defence was solid the midfield quite good but Hayes and Euell were both rubbish.In the second half it became so bad that some midfielders just wouldn't pass to Euell when the option was there. We seemed a different team after the subs. Although only cameo appearances both Smith and Pritchard were impressive. With the exception of the strikers it was quite a good team performance.

Oh yes and I think we made quite a good lot of noise.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I thought we were well in control and never really looked threatened. CP knew what he was doing and was doing enough to win. The goals at the end were an added bonus but I really do think we were that much better than them. We never really got out of 2nd gear and didn't need to. A good professional performance. 
  • Options

I watched it on the telly and was content with most of what I saw. We gave some squad players a run out, Pritchard is back and lively, Evina is kept interested, Euell and Hayes and Waggy are treated with respect. We didn't lose, or seem to get massive loads of injuries, and we got no cards. Plus we won 4-0. A neutral would look at that and say fair enough, the gap in status was worth a 4-0 away win. Our support (although a couple of chants lacked grace) was very evident, and overall job done.

Oh, sorry, excuse me, we didn't win 9-0 with every attack leading to something, and sometimes they got in our half, gotta re-think this. Yeah, Powell out and sack the board.

• Options
    Well said.  Thought he was quality and a constant threat - great to see his goal come from open play rather than a set piece as well. 

• Options
    Job done, not great but we looked like we would go on to win for most of the game. We were pretty solid defensively.Obviously that's expected but so many times over the years we haven't been solid against smaller clubs in the cups.

Pleased for Pritchard and Smith, Though hoo early to judge Smith, he's a player who was only 4th or 5th choice striker at Darlington last season. If fit enough would like to see Pritchard on the bench over Euell, at least while Stephens is out.

Evina is doing well when given a chance, could be useful off the bench, but not sure there's room for him and Pritchard.

As expected Euell and Hayes aren't a good partnership, clearly both need a goalscorer alongside them, or at a player with pace.

Noticed in the last couple of home games from the bench and again today Waggy has got a few decent crosses in.
  • Options

Well that should enlighten CPs idea of who is ready for the big heave ho in Jan

Hayes plays more like Gabby Hayes could not trap a bag of cement

Jason Euell its maybe a mistake to sign your mate CP he is now  Jason BLOODY USELESS a passenger for the entire match bye bye Jason thanks for past efforts.

Well done the rest of you not an easy game we would have lost under Parkinson.

• Options
    Noticed in the last couple of home games from the bench and again today Waggy has got a few decent crosses in.
    Can't be as he can't cross the ball  : - )

• Options
    Can't be as he can't cross the ball  : - )

No. That was Francis ;0)
  • Options
    didn't watch the game so I'm finding it very funny reading these comments.  If I didn't know the score I'd have thought we'd lost 4 - 0.  

Hayes had two assists to add to the many he already has this season but is useless.

Euell seems to be the latest stick to hit Powell with.  It was Hughes but now it's Euell.    Jason is a stop gap  An experienced pro around the camp who will play the odd game here or there.    Pritchard will most likely take the 5th place on the bench v Brentford assuming Emphraim doesn't sign and Kermit and BWP will start upfront.    Chill out, we won.
  • Options
    Liked the look of smith even if it was 5-10 mins. Good to see pritch score. Looked well happy with his goal.

Solly quality. Taylor & Morrison quality. Evina done well to.

• Options
    Watched on the box.....we did 'ok' I suppose is the best I can put....but winning by 4 when not playing very well is to be commended. Thought Evina, Solly and Jacko were the stand outs today......Hayes run his legs off and put in a delightful cross for Taylor to score the first, but poor old Jason never got into the game and looked way off the pace, pity we didnt see Smith on for longer. All in all we won we're into the next round at the Valley and have scord 19 goals in the last 5 games conceeding just 3.......this could have been a bananna skin but we came through it.....no injuries and still winning.....that'll do for me.

Next stop Brentford.....match thread as usual from 2 pm.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our quality showed through in the end, though I suspect Halifax will feel that the scoreline didn't reflect the game.  Nice to see us being able to rack up a big score even in a game that we didn't boss.  Thought our two full backs were excellent. 
  • Options
    To be fair to Euell when he dropped into midfield he looked better and broke up a couple of attacks.
  • Options
    Watched the match on tv, whilst fitting a curtain rail, so didn't see the whole match. However catch most of it whilst reading the instructions ( take note man reading the instructions) well that's what I told her. Even first half with both sides having chances, we scored to take the pressure of the half time talk.
    Solly made a couple of tackles / interceptions that their sub could have scored from, out fitness began to tell towards the end of the match.

Onwards & upwards, 2 nd round draw gives us a chance to get through and that's all you can ask.
  • Options
    I thought it was a solid and professional performance. Halifax did well for 80 minutes and I think we'd have struggled with the Doc and Mambo. The two centre backs, Solly and Hughes and Holland in midfield gave us a secure feel and we largely controlled the game. I was bemused by the BBC statistics, which suggested that Halifax had the ball for two thirds of the time - perhaps a typo from their man at The Shay ?

Only Evina stood out from those who came in, although Waggy's pace and fitness started to show as the game wore on. Still, all five of the back up players had a run out, Pritchard and Taylor got their first Charlton goals, Smith made his debut and we had an ultimately comfortable and entertaining win on the box. We've certainly had worse days...
  • Options

4-0 flatters you a bit , shame for us really wish the game had finished on 80 mins, we needed to put away one of the few chances we created 2nd goal killed us off .

Decent game all in all , your supporters made plenty of noise ( Told you the noise generated from that stand is unreal imagine if it was full instead of just the 200 you had in it today)

Nice of Taylor to say that was the toughest test you have had all season , could not pay us a bigger compliment.

Good luck in the rest of the competition. 

• Options
    Good job they sold these before the game - this time David took the beating.
  • Options
    Did they get the clubs permission to use the badge on that t-shirt?
  • Options
    We need to keep believing in keep ball. I was content knocking it around the back 4. Draw them in and then play the killer ball. I thought solly and morrison were very good. How taylor won mom I will never know.
  • Options
    Very professional display. The win was never really in doubt even if 4-0 was flattering. When you consider how we have played against lower league opposition in the past, I think it spoke volumes for the players' attitude if nothing else.