Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benson - where is he? Have I missed something?

edited November 2011 in General Charlton
Read a comment on another thread bout him being on gardening leave. What have I missed ?

Comments

• Options
    WSSWSS
    edited November 2011
    The gardening leave comment was in reference to NLA, mentioning he's been told Benno prefers to do it to going to games.

Fell out of love with football as told by his source.
  • Options
    so are we saying he is refusing to play or is that a leap too far?
  • Options
    Gutted for benno , put a lot of effort in last season and improved tremendously and wouldn't mind him on our bench
  • Options
    He ain't refusing to play large he is miles out of favour, he trains with the squad and does everything right but is not close to being picked , on a Saturday he is not obliged to be at the valley and doesn't attend very often if at all

Instead he told my pal that he spends Saturdays doing his garden and that he doesn't feel like a footballer any more

He nearly joined southend a few weeks back , but they chose not to take it further
  • Options
    so are we saying he is refusing to play or is that a leap too far?
    Think thats taking it too far. It seems more disillusionment than petulance, at least that's what I assume from context etc.
  • Options
    feel for the guy
  • Options
    He ain't refusing to play large he is miles out of favour, he trains with the squad and does everything right but is not close to being picked , on a Saturday he is not obliged to be at the valley and doesn't attend very often if at all

Feel sorry for him. However there must be a reason why he is so out of favour. Thought we'd see him on the bench today. He needs to get away to resurrect his career as it seems he has no future here. Maybe he has been frozen out because the club wanted to move him on during he summer but he turned down moves, as is his prerogative of course.
  • Options
    At least the guy is keeping himself to himself and not bring the club down with moans, bad stories and acting like a big time charlie.
    Whatever happens to him, I hope its what he wants to do.
  • Options
    Second best finisher at the club if he played as many times as Hayes, kermy and euell he would get the most.
  • Options

he wasent as good as he was at dagenham. he has improved from when he first came to the valley but still not really good enough.  However i cant help but feel sorry for him. if he's feeling that disillusioned he needs to get away from se7. Maybe a trip up north to bradford would suit him.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you are spot on large , I think we really wanted him to go to notts county and the way it fell through was not pleasing to the club

I do feel sorry for him but he should've gone there is no point keeping an unhappy player but in the same vein there is no point staying did not wanted
  • Options
    I do feel sorry for him but he should've gone there is no point keeping an unhappy player but in the same vein there is no point staying did not wanted
    True, but how would you feel if your employer wanted you to go and work in Nottingham, meaning you'd have to uproot your family, etc. I know it's not exactly the same thing and it goes with the turf, but he doesn't strike me as being your average mercenary footballer. Might be wrong of course - never met him myself personally.
  • Options
    don't understand - nothing to suggest he is a 'bad apple', he has certainly showed he is good enough to at least be on the bench, no idea why he has been frozen out
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited November 2011
    Is he the last Parky signing left at the club other than Jackson?
  • Options
    Got to say if I was in his boots I'd be attending every single game whether I was playing or not. It's good for team spirit and would show he hasn't got the hump.
  • Options
    Doc.
  • Options
    He was Parky's man.

Powell is in charge now. He doesnt rate him. Happens all the time in football. Don't see the big deal.

He'll be gone in January. In the interim I'm sure the 1.5-2k a week he picks up each week will soften the blow of not playing.
  • Options
    Our third best striker but refused moves that would have got us a fee. Sorry for the guy, as he has improved since joining.
  • Options
    Our third best striker but refused moves that would have got us a fee. Sorry for the guy, as he has improved since joining.

Remind me.  How is he our third best striker?  Whatever he did last season, how can that be compared with what Hayes and Kermorgant have done this season, and what they may have done in his place last season?

I have no problem with the guy, but he is not good enough.  I said that (repeatedly) last season.  And before the 'let's give the guy a break' contingent get too upset, please note that SCP (in whom we trust) seems to agree with me.

Farewell 'Benno'.  You might want to try ... oh, I don't know ... accountancy or something.  Maybe help us with 40 + 40 x 0 +1?   

• Options
    Think he should be on the bench really and should have played today against Halifax ahead of Euell. Think he's decent at this level and unlucky to be so out of favour. I like Hayes but he doesn't offer as much goal threat and therefore isn't the best choice for the subs bench, imo, when we are likely to most need a sub striker to try and rescue a game. Benno would do a reasonable job of covering Kermi in an emergency and is the most natural replacement for BWP.

Powell doubtless has his reasons which I'm sure are genuine and nothing personal but Benno's attitude and general improvement throughout the season was as close as we got to a bright spot last year so I feel for the guy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Suprised he is so out of favour, good luck to him in the future, Always a trier and reasonable player at this level
  • Options
    Powell himself saiid that Benson will always score goals at this level which makes it all the more mystifying why he hasn't sat on the bench at all
  • Options
    Is Chris Powell is too nice to be a manager?

No, he can be very hard when he needs to be and this seems to be one example.  Very harsh and maybe unfair on Benson but such is football.

I liked him and I couldn't fault his effort but the management and the team have changed and he has been left out in the cold.

Hope he gets fixed up with another Club in January.
  • Options
    Something is not right with this!!!!!!Sorry if i sound rund but after Sundays showing of Euell he should never play a game again for CAFC he was bloody useless and when you think that Benson has so much running in him it really does make you wonder what is going on with Chris Powell and his team selection at times. And what about Alonso where has he gone.
  • Options
    It was worth trying out Euell for 90 minutes as an experiment. Sadly it is clear that he is no longer good enough to play. Whether he is worth keeping around the squad for his experience/mentoring/coaching abilities isn't something most of us supporters can judge.
  • Options
    ..it really does make you wonder what is going on with Chris Powell and his team selection at times...
    Post of the day so far...and you've had some cracking competition today!
  • Options

No, he can be very hard when he needs to be and this seems to be one example.  Very harsh and maybe unfair on Benson but such is football.

Let's not forget that Powell learnt a lot about management from Curbs...
  • Options

No, let's not forget he learnt from one of the best.
  • Options

And I wouldn't mind betting still learning from him.
  • Options

No, let's not forget he learnt from one of the best.
    ...who was also one of the best at cold-shouldering players that crossed him or whom he wanted to move on.  Maybe SCP's treatment (supposed favouritism) of Euell now is to make up for how Curbs treated him latterly??  All just idle speculation, by the way.