Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benson - where is he? Have I missed something?

Comments

• Options
    OK Bournemouth Addick fair point but you are taking my comment out of context so you think Euell should have played in front of Benson ..................God forbid
  • Options
    @Weegie Addick

I think CP is too focussed and professional for that to be true, Weegie.
  • Options
    Look around the lower divisions and you will find 20 Bensons.

:0
  • Options
    Totally agree with you valiantphil and ALL BETTER THEN EUELL
  • Options

Lambert and Butler are more dangerous, particularly now Benson's been filtered out. 

• Options
    may not be a donkey, but maybe a camel
  • Options
    It does seem harsh how Benson has been treated but thats football and at least CP has left him in no doubt as to what he needs to do, particularly after his poor display against Preston in the cup. I blame Parky.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Hang on a mo. Parky got him but then Parky didn't follow the set of instructions that Benno, after a lot of soul searching, finally arrived with. Parky wanted more more from Benno and Benno duly did his best to provide it but he clearly wasn't up to it. That was not due to any lack of effort on Benno's part, but his will'o'the wisp frame did mean that he was continually being roughed out of games. I thought he did improve and he surely worked his socks off, but for me, he never did look or feel like an effective striker. So now, under an entirely different set up, he's not making the first team or the bench. Sad, but I don't see anything wrong with that decision in footballing terms.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I can't see how Benson has been treated ''harshly''. It is a football club.  You pick the best team. There are plenty of better players in front of him.

So...you keep your head down, you work hard in training, you support those who are better than you even though they are keeping you out of the team (by turnng up to cheer them on come a Saturday afternoon, for example) - and then if injuries and suspensions kick in, you are ready and waiting and you try to take your chance.

I think the issue with Benson is partly that he is older and doesn't have time on his side and feels he cannot afford to wait around. In which case he should have taken the opportunity of a move to Notts County.

He's a intelligent guy by footballing standards as he showed in some well-written pieces for the Standard last year.  I don't know the full story, other than that in the context of our current squad excellence, he's not good enough. But from what's being said , I 'm slightly surprised that he's not dealing with the situation more intelligently than is being suggested in this thread.
  • Options
    am a bit surprised given that he is a finisher and not bad at holding up the ball etc, that he hasn't been on the bench more/at all, I think injury at the wrong moment hasn't helped, perhaps his age and being in BWPs shadow also. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I agree he isn't good enough and i remember saying what bad news it was when the Notts county deal fell through. I doubt he's sulking. CP has probably just made it clear he wants him to leave and has said not to worry about all that team bonding lark coz he'll be on his way come the window even if the transfer fee will be a whole lot less, assuming Benson agrees to go this time. I can't see where peoples confusion is. He, like Francis are history and by freezing them out, it hopefully accelerates their departure. That does seem harsh but is the reality of football and i back CP 100%.

• Options
    Is Chris Powell is too nice to be a manager?

No, he can be very hard when he needs to be and this seems to be one example.  Very harsh and maybe unfair on Benson but such is football.

Let's not forget that Powell learnt a lot about management from Curbs...
    No, let's not forget he learnt from one of the best.
    Sven?
  • Options
    He's been learning from me off this board ever since he rejoined the club. Should see the way we're charging up the Selkent B league following relegation last year. People are drawing parallels with CP's reign as we had to go backwards to eventually go forwards at the start of this season. I was up there with Steve Keen in the betting as the first managerial casualty a few weeks in but parents are now treating me like a messiah. You want to try making signings when you have to speak to the players mums - far tougher than any chairman or agent.   
  • Options
    may not be a donkey, but maybe a camel
    I prefer Players, Kap
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Why would you play someone in an fa cup match , when he has no future at the club , any of the 2nd afnd 1st div teams that he may go to are still in this competition surely you are just reducing the options open to him and us as a club

Benno as I said at the time is a real top bloke, and an average 3rd tier footballer and was not what we needed unless we were going to go wide and constantly whip balls in from wide,

We didn't we hoofed the ball forward in an aimless manor and without any real purpose ,

We made him look worse than he is,

It is only right now we are playing patient build up football on these deck where movement is the key and constant movement at that,

Where passing the ball sometimes 5 or 6 times across the defence forcing the opposing team to come in to you and open the game up that there is no room for benno in the team

• Options
    Powell wants to send Benno out on loan, this time it's Colchester but he wants to stay.
  • Options
    I like the guy, great attitude and in a weak team last season he looked like he gave a damn. Why is he out of favour? I can only think that maybe after a couple of protracted moves fell through that CP feels he is using the club in some way. I hope he gets a decent three year deal in a L2 side fixed up in January, I don't want him coming back here for a L1 side with a point to prove.
  • Options
    Powell wants to send Benno out on loan, this time it's Colchester but he wants to stay.
    Cawley from SLP tweeting the Benno about to move on loan with 5 or 6 clubs interested

I'll go with Redhenry
  • Options
    I don't think benno wants to stay , I feel its more that he feels we should bridge the wages gap potentially being offered by respective clubs

From what I gather on both occasions benno would've been financially worse off, notts county couldn't afford his wages from what I was told

• Options
    I do feel kind of sorry for him. He loved it (and was loved) at Dagenham, but rightly or wrongly saw Charlton as his last and best chance of joining a club that may just go places, and made what must have been a tough call. One year on and he can't even make the bench, he's no longer a big fish in a small pond, a small fish in a big pond or even a small fish in a small pond, he's a lonely sprat in a fishbowl. I'd probably feel disillusioned in those circumstances too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Firstly no mentions of my name!
    I feel for him. I really hope he plays tomorrow night against Bromley and does well. He had that hand injury in the cup and then he hasn't played since. He mst be gutted that we are out of both the Carling cup and the JPT as they were his only real source of games. I just hope he does well and possibly could make a return to our bench (possibly instead of Euell seeing the ratings) and works his way back into the team.
  • Options
    He is a bit richer for it all I suppose- i wish him well whever he ends up.
  • Options
    Firstly no mentions of my name!
    I feel for him. I really hope he plays tomorrow night against Bromley and does well. He had that hand injury in the cup and then he hasn't played since. He mst be gutted that we are out of both the Carling cup and the JPT as they were his only real source of games. I just hope he does well and possibly could make a return to our bench (possibly instead of Euell seeing the ratings) and works his way back into the team.

Well said, Benno.
  • Options
    he scored goals for us when we needed them, he never stopped trying and yes I feel sorry for him and hope he finds a club that appreciates his goal scoring talents - it seems we don't anymore.

good luck 
  • Options
    I really don't get this notion that we don't ''appreciate'' his goal-scoring talents, LL. It's very simple: we've got several players who are sharper in front  of goal,and whose all-round play is superior.  I'm sure Chris Powell appreciates exactly what Benson can do. He also  appreciates that BWP, Kermit and Hayes are better footballers. That, after all, is why he bought them.

Benson s not hard done by. He is not under-appreciated. He is a victim, if you want to use that word, of being left behind by a club that has bettered itself.  Unfortunate for him. But thank god we have!

Agree with your good luck wishes to him, though.

• Options
    I really don't get this notion that we don't ''appreciate'' his goal-scoring talents, LL. It's very simple: we've got several players who are sharper in front  of goal,and whose all-round play is superior.  I'm sure Chris Powell appreciates exactly what Benson can do. He also  appreciates that BWP, Kermit and Hayes are better footballers. That, after all, is why he bought them.

Benson s not hard done by. He is not under-appreciated. He is a victim, if you want to use that word, of being left behind by a club that has bettered itself.  Unfortunate for him. But thank god we have!

Agree with your good luck wishes to him, though.

Very true, he is a victim of circumstances, when he joined he was the best we could afford but the takeover meant we were able to bring in far better quality in BWP, Hayes and this season Kermorgant.

For mine, Benson is a L2 player, possibly mid-to-low-end L1 if he is on form. He is not in the BWP class by a very long way.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I think the point that has been missed is that he only played about 30 games and managed to get himself sent off twice and the impact on those games, plus the subsequent suspensions, would have done him no favours.

It now looks clear to me that Powell didn't rate him and made all the right noises to ensure we got a fee for him but then when he refused to leave he was always going to be frozen out.

In the end it doesn't matter what the reason(s) are he is just not thought to be the future and based on what we paid for him we have every right to look to recover a fee for him. If he will not move to a club that pays us what we want then he will, no doubt, lose a big chunk of what is left of his playing career.

The same approach seems to have been taken with Francis, who took the hint and went to the only club that wanted him.
  • Options
    I think the point that has been missed is that he only played about 30 games and managed to get himself sent off twice and the impact on those games, plus the subsequent suspensions, would have done him no favours.

It now looks clear to me that Powell didn't rate him and made all the right noises to ensure we got a fee for him but then when he refused to leave he was always going to be frozen out.

In the end it doesn't matter what the reason(s) are he is just not thought to be the future and based on what we paid for him we have every right to look to recover a fee for him. If he will not move to a club that pays us what we want then he will, no doubt, lose a big chunk of what is left of his playing career.

The same approach seems to have been taken with Francis, who took the hint and went to the only club that wanted him.
    In terms of the sendings off, the one at Colchester was an absolute farce, it was barely a booking and the referee was quite clearly trying to balance the books having already sent off one of theirs.
  • Options
    Look around the lower divisions and you will find 20 Bensons.

:0
    But I feel he Mayfair better in the lower leagues..............
  • Options
    Badum-Tish!