Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Benson - where is he? Have I missed something?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Agree entirely.  Parky wanted him (despite the reservations of some on here, who IMO were proved correct) and he chose to come as he had a right to expect to be a key player at the club.  Things change, and here we are - he can't get near the first team.  None of this is his fault, and if he is being professional about the whole thing as NLA says, then all credit to him.  Many others would have thrown a strop by now. He is under no obligation to move and he can't be blamed for wanting what is best for him and his family.

I hope he moves on and is successful elsewhere - it sounds like he deserves it.

This sums up my feelings perfectly.
  • Options
    He is over 30, has minimal league experience and is in the last year of his contract. add to that that we are mainly getting in young players, to develop and build into a squad for the 4 or 5 years, and it becomes obvious why he isn't anywhere near the first team. I personally would have liked to see what he could have done in a good team but as others have said better players are now in front of him.
  • Options
    Don't want to break into a private party, but just looked at last years stats and they say Benson 28 appearances 10 goals BWP 20 appearances 8 goals.  Benson was playing in a poor team all season as was BWP.  I realise BWP's stats this year are way superior, but with the players now in the team, my mother would have good stats!  I'm not saying Benson would replace BWP now, but surely he would have shoved a few of those chances in the back of the net?  If BWP breaks down surely Benson is the only man on the books who can do a job for us.  Shove him on the bench, BWP will break down before long!  We've all seen that the Saint Jason can't do it any more.
  • Options
    Benno wont be able to play in the way we require in my opinion, not that sort of player, he doesnt have pace that will worry defenders
  • Options
    NLA, nor does Euell but he seems to get on the bench dispite having waggy on the bench. Please please please Euell hang up you boots and just be an assistant for powell
  • Options
    Agree with nthlondonaddick about pace but when BWP comes off after 80 minutes and Hayes comes on what we seem to have is 2 strikers in Kermogant and Hayes who play in the same way with the same lack of pace.  At least Benson knows how to knock a ball into the back of the net.  Agree again that he probably isn't good enough, but rather like SCP used Elliott at the start of the season I feel Benson is a better option than Hayes to partner Kermogant until SCP can move him on.  In my opinion. 
  • Options
    I don't think we should subsidize him at all, however we signed him, we offer him a wage .

He agrees he tries his best he gives his all but ultimately its not good enough and we sign better players he falls out of the pecking order

He never kicks up a fuss publicly and from what we here he is not a bad Apple and is training and acting like a real pro footballer.

So we as a club have no right to insist he leaves for less money earnings elsewhere, we honour his contract don't play him and he keeps the status quo

If he wishes to leave then the choice of money just irrelevant as he choses to go

If we are adamant that we as a club want him to go then we should subsidize his wage if that is the only reason why moves have fell through,
    I don't think we are demanding that he leave. I think the sticking point was that we wanted a fee for him, which I think is fair enough as we reportedly paid £250k for him a year ago. Maybe that fee reduced his potential wages, but he was offered a two year deal, I believe, and you can't compare that with one year left, not at his age. If he waits until next summer and leaves for free he may well fail to get a contract above League Two level at all, never mind Notts County, who he turned down and are currently in the play off places.

I wish the chap well, and agree that he might have been able to add something in some of our games this season, but as soon as Kermit was signed it looked like the writing was on the wall for him.

Now he needs to get some first team games or I fear he may well go a whole season without playing much and next summer will be difficult for him with his 33rd birthday just 'round the corner if he's not played a first team game for twelve months.
  • Options
    I'd stick him on the bench instead of Euell but that just my opinion

Can't see how he has become a "bad" player overnight
     .... also can't see why Powell just doesn't seem to rate him but I'm happy to trust Powell's judgement as he's taken us to the top of the table
  • Options

i never looked at it like that tbh, with regards the fee, and it is a great point

from what i heard the wages were substantially less than what he is on with us

• Options

i never looked at it like that tbh, with regards the fee, and it is a great point

from what i heard the wages were substantially less than what he is on with us

I heard the same, but I thought the sticking point was length of contract because he was required to move his family up there he wanted the security of a three year deal, understandably Notts only offered two,which for a 32 yo was not bad.  A move to bradford is only currently on a loan basis.  Also,reading Powells comments he is ok for Benson to stay and be used as a bit part player and it is benson pushing at the door
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RE: The wages, it is no secret that his children's education etc influence his decisions quite a lot, if he is going to move them from London area to (e.g.) Nottingham then doing so on a reduced wage is unlikely. Obviously if he moves only on a loan it's not quite the same thing.