Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best player you've seen at the Valley

edited November 2011 in General Charlton
Apologies if this has been done, but following a lengthy discussion before the Bromley game on tuesday me and a friend had this debate and the longer we talked more and more players cropped up. So who is the best player you've seen at the Valley ?

Comments

• Options
    For me it has to be either Scott Parker or Dazza Bent.
  • Options
    Can't make up my mind between Kinsella , Rufus , Kiely , Bent , Parker or Jensen & Di Canio , sorry.
  • Options
    Can be an away player
  • Options
    Ryan Giggs, for his part in the epic 3-3, especially his awesome shot from the halfway line which smacked the crossbar, and bloody Solksjaer was there to gobble up the rebound. Probably the most heartstopping 30 seconds of football I saw at the Valley. 
  • Options
    Alan Simonsen former European player of the year beat Chelsea 5-2 on his own 1982/83 season!
  • Options
    colin walsh (sentimental reasons).
  • Options
    Really struggling to come up with only one name for that question! Ryan Giggs in that 3-3 draw was one individual performance I really remember standing out, but apart from him Henry, Shearer, Le Tissier, Zola, Bergkamp have to be the best. There's so many from our days in the prem though, and I imagine many many before that when I wasnt even alive! 
  • Options
    Henry irvine appears to be indisposed, but I am quite sure he'd want to suggest Carl Leaburn...
  • Options
    Paul Mortimer, sentimental too. When he scored THAT goal against Bradford I nearly headbutted the roof of the west stand. Had great games and absolute mares. And my dad thought he was crap and lazy!
  • Options
    For charlton I would say on his day Paul Mortimer was totally un playable he had tremendous amounts of close control and his shooting was awsome, but he was just inconsistent

Against

The movement of Owen and rooney is very difficult to decide which one was better

David Beckham was and should be up there

Giggs half way line 3-3 game was one if the greatest individual moments I think I will ever see

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Darren Bent Bent Bent!
  • Options
    After Solkjsaer put in the rebound I was gutted that the Giggs shot hadn't gone in, just to be able to say I was there, absolute quality
  • Options
    Not my favorite player by a long way but Ronaldo of Man Utd would have to be top of the list.
  • Options

Agree with Giggs in the 3-3 and Rooney when they beat us 3-1.

For CAFC it has to be a choice of Di Canio in general (he can pick passes at ground level that you couldn't even see from the stands) and Parker in the Chelsea boxing day game.

Oh - I forgot Euell last Sunday ....... only kidding, I know it doesn't count as it was an away match!

• Options
    It's got to be Giggs for me.  Just always seem to be superb against us at The Valley, there were not many players in the Prem that consistently stood out for me when playing against us at home.
  • Options
    Once Roy Keane tore us apart in a 3-0 hammering perhaps between 02-04 but my god he had an amazing engine! 

For, Morts was class, but Darren Bent was awesome as well. Many others far to many to mention!
  • Options
    It's got to be Giggs for me.  Just always seem to be superb against us at The Valley, there were not many players in the Prem that consistently stood out for me when playing against us at home.
    Oh, and dont be silly, Giggs is rubbish! 
  • Options
    What about Giggs MCS?
  • Options
    edited November 2011

cant wait for MCS to open this thread.

giggs, bergkamp, zola, ronaldo all get a mention but for me it has to be henry.

dont know if i'm imagining it but i'm sure someone once told me that a fulham side containing best and moore played against us in the 70's. it may have been a pre-season game. it may also be someone being economic with the truth.

edit. MCS must have been typing his, as i was mine.

• Options
    PBS AND WSS, not quick enough hehe

Giggs = Gash! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I would just loved to have seen a couple of seasons of Di Canio when he was a few years younger. I just loved the one season he had with us, everything about him was first class.
  • Options
    Henry was unstoppable at times and Ronaldo in 2006 was quality. I'd say Ronaldo is the best I've seen at home.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    For us - Scott Parker by a mile.
    For them - Ronaldo, Giggs (the 3-3 game), Rooney (For Everton) or Henry (when they went 3-0 in 20 minutes).
  • Options
    George Best
  • Options

Robin Van Persie scored a fantastic goal against us, so he get's my vote for an away player. The only problem is that I don't think he should've still been on the pitch!

For us Di Canio, in the friendly against Welling - possibly his last game for us. Parker, Rufus, Powell and Bent are also up there.

• Options
    Best players performances ive seen at the Valley during our premiership days were Harry Kewell, when Leeds beat us 6-0 i thought he was amazing that day, also remember watching Owen when he was younger for liverpool at the Valley and i remember thinking he was amazing.. he was rapid and leathal back then.
  • Options

went to the fulham match with moore and best, they were both well past their sell by date and didnt impress me that much in that game, for me Giggs although best finisher purely for nostalgia reasons KILLER !

• Options
    Henry, ronaldo, giggs, rooney, keane are all up there, but for oozing class and skill it would have to be Dennis bergkamp for me...
  • Options
    I would just loved to have seen a couple of seasons of Di Canio when he was a few years younger. I just loved the one season he had with us, everything about him was first class.
    I remember watching him on Gazzetta Football Italia. He tormented a certain team's defense for about 1 minute out on the flank and then got bored and decided to finish it with a goal. The thing is, the team was Capello's AC Milan and the defense was Baresi, Maldini etc - probably the best defense there ever was.

• Options
    George Best
    Yes...and in a Charlton shirt