Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best player you've seen at the Valley

Comments

• Options
    Was that for Graeme Tutt`s testimonial by any chance? Remember Malcolm McDonald played that night as well, and Bill Oddie! lol
  • Options
    George Best
    Yes...and in a Charlton shirt
    indeed
  • Options
    That night brings back memories! Massive shame about Tutt as he was tipped to go right to the very top of the game. Think the crowd was around the 9,000 mark.
  • Options
    Overall Parker our best player by a mile but best individual performances Kevin Lisbie v Liverpool and against us, Berbatov for Spurs the night we got relegated with Ronaldo and Henry not far behind

• Options
    for us Scott Parker

for the opposition Glen Hoddle or Ryan Giggs

• Options
    Us: Parker by a mile. Bent, di canio, Jensen, kinsella, Rufus,Mendonca all deserve praise for diff reasons.

Others (based on performances against us): hated him but Henry, ginola, bergkamp, kanoute (always impressed me for west ham against us), Zola, van nistleroy, Owen, dugarry for the brummies. Probably loads more.
  • Options

I think Best played in Les Berry's testimonial . I wouldn't count him

For Charlton it has to be Simonsen although Di Canio comes second.

Against as well as Giggs ,I would also make a case for John Barnes .

• Options
    Oliver Bierhoff for Ascoli ... absolute imense
  • Options

Scholes always seemed to have a solid game against us

• Options
    If i had to pick one; Thierry Henry (there was no need to kick our corner flag and give it so much though, the postulating ponce)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Without a shadow of doubt for me , this fella

• Options
    Thierry Henry.
  • Options

The best for Charlton at The Valley I've seen were Allan Simonsen, Andy Hunt or Scott Parker. Di Canio was very good but he only scored one open play goal for us (in the League Cup).

Not necessarily the best opposing player but he murdered us in a cameo after coming on as sub....Ali Bernarbia of Manchester City.

The best I've seen against us were in our Selhurst Park days....Des Walker, Tony Adams, Mark Wright and Paul Gascoigne.

• Options
    Jorge Costa
  • Options
    I cannot recall Bergkamp or Zola ever producing their best performances against us. Both wonderful players of course, but don't remember them turning it on at The Valley.

Mark Viduka destroyed us a couple of times. 

• Options

In a Red shirt i would say Parker, Mendonca , Kiely , Jensen and i liked Andy Reid

Visiting players - Giggs in the 3-3, Henry everytime and Viduka for Leeds - Jon Fortune always had Shearer in his pocket at the Valley !

• Options

Without a shadow of doubt for me , this fella

Jan Molby??
  • Options
    I'm trying to think of a keeper for the opposition who has played a blinder but can't think of one off hand apart from Nigel Martyn maybe
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Thierry Henry, definitely
  • Options
    Thierry Henry, definitely
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm trying to think of a keeper for the opposition who has played a blinder but can't think of one off hand apart from Nigel Martyn maybe
    Mark Crossley always had a blinder at the Valley! Topped off with his penalty save from Neil Redfearn against Forest in 1999
  • Options
    Mark Crossley always had a blinder at the Valley! Topped off with his penalty save from Neil Redfearn against Forest in 1999

Mark Swarzcher for Bradford played a blinder in around 96/97 - think it was one of his first games and was sold to Boro a few days later for £1m.

Oakes for Villa in 98/99 and the Norwich keeper in 09/10 were both unbeatable in those games.  

• Options
    Thierry Henry always scared me
  • Options

Mark Swarzcher for Bradford played a blinder in around 96/97 - think it was one of his first games and was sold to Boro a few days later for £1m.

Yep I remember the Swarzcher game

Does anyone remember the first game of the season back in the late 1980s against Liverpool when they spanked us 5 nil when Aldridge got a hatrick 
    ... that was possibly the best team performance I've seen against us

Was men versus boys that day

• Options

david ginola had a 3 year period when he was the bane of our PL lives.

wanted to hate him for scoring against us, but it was impossible as he was such a class player

• Options
    Eddie Firmani first time around : too good for everyone else - a different class so went to Italy for a world record fee.
  • Options
    Ginola was good when he came on in that night game for spurs
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Paul Mortimer, sentimental too. When he scored THAT goal against Bradford I nearly headbutted the roof of the west stand. Had great games and absolute mares. And my dad thought he was crap and lazy!
    Do you remember similar goals from Morts in the mid 90's - namely Bristol City in a 3-2 win. Scored at the south stand end. And another great strike v Wolves at the north stand end.
  • Options
    ya think we were winning through a kinsella strike then ginola terrorised us, 4.1 and we went down that game
  • Options
    Eddie Firmani first time around : too good for everyone else - a different class so went to Italy for a world record fee.
    Always was, and still is the best player I've seen at the Valley by a country mile.