Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best player you've seen at the Valley

Comments

• Options
    I'm trying to think of a keeper for the opposition who has played a blinder but can't think of one off hand apart from Nigel Martyn maybe
    Nicky Weaver had a blinder the first time he played at The Valley.

He wasn't so good the second time.

No matter how well opposition keepers played, I still think I saw better performances from Kiely. He was simply outstanding.
  • Options
    Good shout about Kiely .. best keeper we've had in my lifetime
  • Options

Home Parker

Away, without a doubt Cronaldo.  Pass, tackle, cross, finish, dribble, aerial ability, strength and pace.  Horrible man, but in a class of his own.

• Options
    mortimers best 2 goals were Norwich away and Notts County at home but at selhurst
  • Options
    For Charton, it can only be Scott Parker. His performances in the first half of the 2003/04 season were immense.
    As for away teams, I remember watching the 'Invincables' of Arsenal destroy us. Patrick Vieira and Thierry Henry were untouchable.
  • Options
    Scott Parker for me never been the same since he left and now everyone is seeing what a player he is. A mention must also go to Simonsen who was just too good for the rest of the team and I also fancied Derek Hales and darren nbent to score when they had a chance.
  • Options
    I hate to say it as Rufus was my hero, but do you remember Thierry giving Rufus a 10 yard head start and then out paced him and slotted it in? Rufus wasnt slow either!
  • Options
    T.C.E.
  • Options
    Thierry Henry, he totally destroyed us time and time again.
  • Options
    Parker for us, Giggs was a bit special that game against us,and Henry was a handful as well, probably the best striker in the world at the time?
    Roy Keane seemed to have a bloody exclusion zone around him in that Man Utd game, I do remember yelling out 'for God's sake tackle him', some wit retorted 
    'God's not in the team today'.....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah I'll go Giggs in the 3-3 - he was just amazing.
  • Options
    i was really young but i remember overmars playing really well at the valley
  • Options
    mortimers best 2 goals were Norwich away and Notts County at home but at selhurst
    remember the norwich away one - think we were losing 1-0 and they were taking the piss and then he scored and i think we won 3-1. He was a great player and his mattador work in the millwall snow game puts him up there with the legends in my book.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Henry I guess, I remember Ronaldos first game at the Valley, tried it on but dont remember him making much impact.
    Viduka always stands out when I think back, always remember the shot that went over Kiely

Anyone got any better footage of Vidukas goal against us for boro?
    Cant see it on youtube anywhere apart from this crappy angle @ 1.10  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZE0aenaPFA
  • Options

Charlton Player - Parker. I remember him coming back from injury against Middlesbrough years ago now and him being everywhere, a real quality player consistently. Rufus is my favourite though.

But the best player i've ever seen live was at the Valley and it was Mark Viduka a good few years back now. I get ripped by my mates for picking someone that isn't Gerard etc, but he was amazing in the game I saw. Can't remember when it was i'm afraid. I hate to saw this as well, but Defoe would be a second for me for Tottenham. These games were during my drinking days so I can't remember the dates ha ha

• Options
    Seen some class acts over the years, Both Rodney Marsh and Frank Worthington were pretty classy, Lineker at Sellout was so quick it was scarey, but the standout away player for me and again its at Sellout was Ronnie Rosenthal for Liverpool, every time he got the ball I thought he would score, he was simply outstanding. Simonsen was three passes in front of any other Charlton player in his day.....so he has to be the best in a red shirt at the Valley.
  • Options
    When we signed deon Burton most of us were like wtf

But his first game for us proberly saw one of the most impressive goalkeeper performances I ever saw,

I have the name Bennett in my head but I ain't sure, but whoever it was made save after save that day and some complete superb stops to boot
  • Options
    Iain Bennet?     The Southampton keeper Davis has had a few blinders against us too.
  • Options
    I remember Ginola had an incredible performance against us for Spurs giving us a midweek thrashing but Henry and Giggs were consistently superb, Henry just edging it for me.  
  • Options

Simonson for me in a Charlton shirt

And Away a little winger for Middlesborough Mark Bell I thing his career ended by injury

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Henry and Ronaldo
  • Options
    Has to be Thierry Henry for me as well. 

I'm surprised no one has gone for Earnshaw though ;-)
  • Options
    For Charlton - Super Clive Mendonca. Goal machine. Best player for another team would have to be Henry. Different gravy.
  • Options
    Eddie Firmani
  • Options
    For Charlton I would say Paul Walsh or Alan Simonsen.  I remember how brilliant Berbatov was for Spurs and Bellamy for Newcastle was outstanding despite being such a wind up.
  • Options
    For Charlton - Super Clive Mendonca. Goal machine. Best player for another team would have to be Henry. Different gravy.
    Eddie Firmani
    I was going to say Eddie Mendonca and Clive Firmani .. but you two beat me to it .. it's so hard to choose over so many years, players, divisions and states of minds
  • Options
    Fraser Forster had an absolute blinder against us for Norwich a couple of seasons ago!
  • Options
    Killer closely followed by Simonsen
  • Options
    Toss up between Ronaldo and Thierry Henry
  • Options
    Allan Simonsen.