Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Do you follow football teams from other countries?

edited November 2011 in General Charlton
The thread on Rangers and which Scottish team people follow got me thinking about this.

Personally, I try to see a game if I get the chance while visiting other countries. I then find myself vaguely looking out for that team's results from then on.

For me it's:
Schalke 04 (Germany)
Barcelona (Spain)
Valerenga (Norway)
Dundee United and Berwick Rangers (Scotland)
Atalanta (Italy)

Some of these go back 20 odd years for me.

Comments

• Options

England: FC Halifax, Welling United

Scotland: Rangers, Partick Thistle 

• Options
    Used to 'support' a team from a few countries when I was young, not bothered now.
  • Options
    C.F Monterrey in Mexico since I've been here. The fans call themselves 'la adiccion'. 
  • Options
    Eintracht Frankfurt and Singapore Lions as I've spent so much time working in both locations
  • Options

wudnt lose sleep if they lost but...falkirk and energie cottbus

• Options

I used to collect football shirts when i was a little bit younger, but offiially i follow or have a fave team from each major nation. Charlton.....AC Milan, Barcelona, Sporting Lison, PSV, Hoffenheim, Lyon etc....

But then i love football. Any football. Whether its Kettering vs Grimbsy or Pumas vs Chivas i will watch it

• Options

Definitely.

And the Rudd Rule is that whichever (home) team you watch first in a new country becomes your team.

So, Real Madrid, AEK Athens, Aarhus, Bordeaux, Hellas Verona, FC Vikiingit, Inverness CT, Cardiff, Djurgardens, Roda JC and Tarbert out of the Isle of Harris (OK not a new country, but almost a different planet).

By the same rule, my MLB team is the New York Yankees (sorry) and Oulun Kärpät in the Finnish ice hockey league.

• Options
    Ross County in Scotland.

No prizes for guessing why.
  • Options
    Erm. No . One team - one country
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Spain-Tenerife, Las Palmas, Granada & Malaga

Wales-TNS

Scotland-Rangers & Greenock Morton

USA-Green Bay Packers

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always been Motherwell for me after picking them out in some sort of prize draw at infants school!
  • Options
    Ross County in Scotland. No prizes for guessing why.
    Is your surname County?
  • Options
    WhenI was a youngster you seemed to have to pick one of the dominant two in Scotland, I went for Rangers. During WW2 I was evacuated to Aberystwth so that's Wales sorted. I had strong work connections with Barcelona, so thats my trio.
  • Options
    It's more having sympathy for them for various reasons and following their results than really supporting them.
    For me it's Troyes (France),  Estudiantes (Argentina),  Feyenoord (Holland),  Atalanta (Italy),  Besiktas (Turkey)  and Queens Park (Scotland) together with a few others. 

• Options
    don't mind swansea...
  • Options
    oh, and trabzonspor
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Barca and Palermo (family reasons)

(and before any smart arse says it, no, not that sort of 'family' in Palermo
  • Options
    I keep an eye out for Stenhousemuir's results and have been to 3 or 4 FC Edmonton matches (NASL). Edmonton is the closest I come to 'supporting' another team. Give it another season and I probably will be a fan of them, but it always makes me feel a bit dirty allowing myself to get close to another team. I imagine it's how having an affair might feel (without the sexual excitement - obviously).
  • Options
    Montrose
  • Options
    I don't follow any teams avidly, but if they were on TV I would support them over the other team - all this based on visiting & watching them play - Fiorentina and Sevilla.

I should also follow the Canadian MLS teams (Vancouver & Toronto) but I forget they are playing most of the time, I do like the Portland Timbers, but that's solely based on the fact it's such an utterly fantastic city.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PSV Eindhoven, used to be my local team for 15 years and went regularly, from the time of the van der Kerkhof brothers, Romario etc to present day. Now live near Rotterdam so a bit in limbo. BUT coming over for Christmas so will be going along to the Brentford game at THE VALLEY!!!
  • Options
    Albion Rovers.

Stuffed Airdrie 7-2 the other week :0))
  • Options
    I keep an eye out for Stenhousemuir's results and have been to 3 or 4 FC Edmonton matches (NASL). Edmonton is the closest I come to 'supporting' another team. Give it another season and I probably will be a fan of them, but it always makes me feel a bit dirty allowing myself to get close to another team. I imagine it's how having an affair might feel (without the sexual excitement - obviously).
    ah yes! must get to an FC Edmonton game - i was up in E-town last week during that snowstorm!!
  • Options
    No real interest in any other team, but do keep an eye out fior Welling
  • Options
    Hércules C.F. In Alicante , as I lived there for a few years.
  • Options

Scotland - Rangers

Like watching Barcalona bu not really bothered about them.

• Options
    In England I look out for Bromley and Hereford. I always look out for Napoli's results because I think they have real quality. I try to watch them on the box if I can.
  • Options
    edited November 2011

Leroy Ambrose said:

Barca and Palermo (family reasons)

(and before any smart arse says it, no, not that sort of 'family' in Palermo

I've got family in Palermo too but like most people there followed Juventus so thats why I do though Palermo would possbily rank as my third team, definately my 'second Italian team'.
  • Options
    Hearts
  • Options

Only Charlton for me. I live in the States and I didn't even know about that MLS thingy last week with Beckham and Keane until after it had happened. No interest whatsoever unless it is Charlton related.

Even in English football I'll browse through what is happening in the other divisions but, again, unless it is Charlton related I can't be bothered.