Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Royal Oak

Comments

• Options
    Good to see the Oak busy after the game last night. Starting to turn into a good pub once again. The new guvnor is running a good ship since he came in around August.
  • Options
    Do they have Sky matches on in there?
  • Options

yes I have seen a couple of games in there after a Saturday game
  • Options
    Had a rank pint in there last night but the guvnor was good as gold sorting it out . Tried 5 other pints to make sure
  • Options
    The new guvnor is doing a great job.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

yes I have seen a couple of games in there after a Saturday game
    ta

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Shag said:

Had a rank pint in there last night but the guvnor was good as gold sorting it out . Tried 5 other pints to make sure

Yeah. The Guinness was "dodgy" as well (on the tap by the adjoining room). They did change it no problem (but continued to serve it to other poor saps).

However, there are more staff, who know what they are doing. Hot sausage rolls & sarnies being sold.
  • Options
    I went to The Oak last night. Admittedly I was in there early (5pm).
    I ordered a Guinness, which only tasted of line cleaner. They poured another couple that tasted the same, from the side tap, nearest the pool table.
    The bloke told me that they only use the front taps regularly and the side taps are only used for football.
    That makes sense.
    However, if you was running a business (a pub) and hadn't used them taps for 3 months, wouldn't you check they were ok and all the beers tasted ok before you served up cleaning fluid to your dwindling customer base.
    It's no wonder pubs continue to close.
    It ain't difficult, you had all the time in the world to do it.
  • Options

However, if you was running a business (a pub) and hadn't used them taps for 3 months, wouldn't you check they were ok and all the beers tasted ok before you served up cleaning fluid to your dwindling customer base.

Should have cleaned them at the end of last season and then cleaned them again yesterday afternoon prior to opening - not difficult or time consuming.

As you say, it's no wonder they keep closing - so many pubs that knowingly serve crap beer in a warm glass, and presume it's okay to keep doing it until someone complains.
  • Options
    Don't panic, there are always pubs like this around.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Went there before the game yesterday and they had run out of beer. there was also no Guinness. I know they have always been startled whenever Charlton are at home at the amount of people that turn up but to completely run out of beer?! that's some poor planning.

someone said they think they maybe selling the pub or switching managers. I think he was just guessing but does anyone know about this? or is just like I said, poor planning.
  • Options
    Pub with no beer on a match day?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

we went after the match and there was stella, carling and strongbow.

Also before the match we had no problems?
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

Oggy Red said:

we went after the match and there was stella, carling and strongbow.

Also before the match we had no problems?
    There wasn't any bitter
  • Options
    beer as in ale
  • Options
    They seem to run out of beer every week, considering Charlton fans must make up 90% of their business you'd think they would know to bring in extra beer on match days.
  • Options
    Had Guinness on after the game.
  • Options
    Doom Bar ran out before the game and Tetleys or some other bitter did afterwards but I was so pissed by then it didn't matter
  • Options

Doom Bar ran out before the game and Tetleys or some other bitter did afterwards but I was so pissed by then it didn't matter

oh so what really happened is that you just drank it all
  • Options

oh so what really happened is that you just drank it all
    in a world of shit drinkers i am the shittest of us all , not guilty m'lud
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

beer as in ale

ah ok :) beer in my head is lager lol sorry :)
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

No ale before the game from about 2pm onwards.

Do you think they found me funny half heartedly ordering my round with the megaphone?

Couple of cans from the corner shop is much better Brenda! :wink:
  • Options
    Ha!
    I was going to mention that. I didn't even get to drink it in the end!
  • Options
    The pub's my local and it's a disaster. The lease has been up for sale but no takers I believe. I trek to the Rose (same leaseholder as the Oak but bettr run) or up the hill to the Swan if I want to guarantee I can choose what I want to drink.
  • Options
    my Royal Oak is fine---been an ale house since 1611 (funny opening time) has 4 real ales on every day Grafton Golden Egg --loverly---just a short walk along the cliffs or a fecking long drop down to the beach !!
  • Options
    They refused to show the Charlton game on Sky yesterday. Said you should go to the ground if you want to watch it. Showed West Ham instead.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

No ale before the game from about 2pm onwards.

Do you think they found me funny half heartedly ordering my round with the megaphone?

Bit harsh on yerself B...wouldn't say your voice was quite a megaphone!!! :wink:
  • Options
    SX_Addick said:

They refused to show the Charlton game on Sky yesterday. Said you should go to the ground if you want to watch it. Showed West Ham instead.

Time for CARO