Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CPS authorise Terry to be prosecuted

Comments

• Options
    Can't wait to see what the CPS do the next time Prince Philip makes one of his regular racist or ethnic demeaning remarks!

The queen v her old man?
  • Options
    It   all seems a bit ridiculas for what is really "Name calling" ..........why dont these children "tell the teacher " ?....lmfao
    so - let's say that later in life, youry daughter/son is married to a black man/woman and the have children. Would you be pleased if someone happened to, just casually, call one of them a 'black c**t' and not have any recriminations? Some very odd views being expressed here - racism isn't 'banter' - its pathetic, infantile and derogatory.
    Leroy   I am of "mixed race" so i know what its like, i have taught my son its just"name calling" so get real, its not the great evil that "white"people  want to turn it into, just move on and find sonething else to make "politically correct"
    ""
  • Options
    He's getting a lot of abuse from Spurs fans.
  • Options
    How does this all work?  It would seem that the maximum punishment that the court can hand out is a fraction of that given to Suarez.  Financially, obviously, but more importantly in terms of the footballing ban.  Do the FA have to wait in line until the criminal prosecution is done before weighing in or is it one or the other?

If he gets found guilty then a fine it will be levied to a maximum of £2500, pennies to him, but it does comes with a criminal record attached, something Suarez avoided. Then the FA will have their turn, and mostly will fine him - the £40k fine they gave Suarez (and an 8 week ban) is a good starting point, but even that represents a couple of days wages.
  • Options

This is the charge.

On 23 October 2011 at Loftus Road Stadium, London W12, you used threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, or disorderly behaviour within the hearing or sight of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress which was racially aggravated in accordance with section 28 of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998.
    Contrary to section 31 (1) (c) of the Crime and Disorder Act 1998

So, next time Wayne Rooney is subjected to the chants of 10,000 opposing fans singing 'you fat bastard' at Loftus Road Stadium, London W12 (or at any other ground for that matter), is he not entitled to expect the CPS to prosecute 10,000 fans for '....abusive or insulting words or behaviour...within the hearing of a person likely to be caused harassment, alarm or distress..'?

Not under S31 he can't,  SS28-32 of the CDA only cover racially aggravated offences such as assault and criminal damage.

• Options
    I love this site. If there's a pub thread there's always a landlord about, if there's a Maths thread there's an account about, and if there's a legal thread, you can bet there's a lawyer about. Brilliant.
  • Options
    I love this site. If there's a pub thread there's always a landlord about, if there's a Maths thread there's an account about, and if there's a legal thread, you can bet there's a lawyer about. Brilliant.

Just think how popular this thread would be on a Millwall site, virtually everyone there will have legal expertise, albeit through experience rather than from practising it... 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my post refleted the lack of confidence I have in the CPS. If Terry did make the comments in the way he has been accused he deserves what he gets- I'm just saying, don't be so sure. I will be genuinely suprised if he gets convicted.

My other point is around people hoping he is guilty because the don't like him. Racism isn't a hook to hang people you don't like, it is a serious matter and what we should be interested in is whether he said what he said in a racist way - which he still denies btw - not enjoying the fact that an unpopular player is in bother irrespective of the reasons behind it.
  • Options
    I do hope he is guilty, because I don't like him. I'd happily admit it. BUT if he is found innocent, then that's the end of it it as far as I'm concerned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do hope he is guilty, because I don't like him. I'd happily admit it. .
    So, when have you met him then?

• Options

Not in person, but there have been enough proven incidents for me to form an opinion. All that business with Wayne Bridge just for starters, adultery is bad enough, but with a colleague and close friend in the fallout is to me particularly reprehensible. Even if he was not being racist he DID use the certain C-word which I cannot stand.

• Options
    What Ryan Giggs did is actually far shittier than Terry with Bridge - 8 years with your brothers wife!
  • Options
    What Ryan Giggs did is actually far shittier than Terry with Bridge - 8 years with your brothers wife!

Giggs did one from big brother and one from little brother.
  • Options
    Hate all this middle ground bollocks. In every part of life, not just football.

People either need to get over the fact its never gonna go away and get on with it, and just give even more abuse back..
    or
    In football, 2+ year ban + police brutality. For everyone else, just beatings from pigs.
  • Options
    So if Terry stands up in court and says "I didn't call him a black c**t, I called the linesman a blind c**t", will the FA impose a 3 match ban for verbally abusing an official? It's a straight red offence and he's basically admitting it
  • Options
    I honestly believe the man is innocent. Just look at the charity work he has done. What a fine example he is. If any of his team mates wives are feeling lonely, he's the first in line to comfort them. Give the man a break...

6 months in Her Majesty's Prison ;-))))))))))))))))))))))
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hate to say it, but I think he is probably being taken to court on the grounds that the CPS have to be seen to be taking racial abuse or accusations of racial abuse seriously, bearing in mind the influence a player's actions may have on other players, fans and officials, all are being taken into account and J Terry is high profile enough, generally disliked enough to possibly get a prosecution (sorry for my cynicism).  Fair trial?  He'll get the best defence his ridiculous wealth can buy, and probably get a better deal than most of us in similar circumstances.  Racism needs to be taken seriously, abuse on the pitch needs to be taken seriously.  If he called a match official a "blind c*nt" he should be fined in a criminal court and banned long-term anyway.  Respect my arse.
  • Options
    He's getting a lot of abuse from Spurs fans.
    These are the same Spurs fans who consistantly sang homophobic and racist abuse at Sol Campbell.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    couldn't they have scheduled the trial during the Euros
  • Options
    Respect my arse.
    I will do as you exhort, but first your arse has to EARN respect.

• Options
    We definately shouldn't take him to the euros now . The last thing we need is him captaining the side with that hanging over his head and playing alongside Antons brother . (Plus He's not good enough )
  • Options
    £2,500 maximum fine. I bet he has that knocking around in his trousers waiting to be washed.
  • Options
    £2,500 maximum fine. I bet he has that knocking around in his trousers waiting to be washed.
    Maybe not. You seen his mortgage repayments?

• Options
    We definately shouldn't take him to the euros now . The last thing we need is him captaining the side with that hanging over his head and playing alongside Antons brother . (Plus He's not good enough )
    The probelm with that is that the FA cannot pre-judge the outcome, so he has to go.

The upside is that after the tournament, and at 31, he could be dropped form all future England squads if he is found guilty.
  • Options
    Chirpy Red 1:32PM Quote

ShootersHillGuru said:

Maybe not. You seen his mortgage repayments
    ?
    He'll just have to organise a few more tours for gullible punters round the Chelski training ground
  • Options
    The probelm with that is that the FA cannot pre-judge the outcome, so he has to go.

The upside is that after the tournament, and at 31, he could be dropped form all future England squads if he is found guilty.
    There is no need for the FA to pre-judge. They can just say something like...."With some difficult times ahead for John, the FA and Mr Capello thought it better for both John and the team that he wasn't selected for our 1/4 Final squad for Euro 2012."

Or as someone said earlier just don't take him because he is actually pretty crap at football these days.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Agree that he's not quite the player he was but he's still a great player........I wouldn't describe him as 'pretty crap' by any means.

• Options
    From the moment he bottled a boxer with his chums because he was getting beaten i have disliked him