Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rhoys Wiggins - No Such Thing As Bad Publicity

edited December 2011 in General Charlton
The scouts are already looking at him but, in today's Racing Post, he is one of the Ten To Follow from the lower Leagues:

"should be playing at a higher level.............but at the perfect Club to learn his trade under Addicks boss Chris Powell".

What do you think we would do if a bid of say £1m to £2m came for him in January?

Comments

• Options
    no
  • Options
    Not even for £5m
  • Options
    Depends from whom doesn't it. Prem club and Rhoys would be sorely tempted and might force a move but unless it was either Saints or West Ham from the Championship then would he be improving himself ? I think this board are prepared to buy and then sell on at a profit but I also think they have a vision of what they want and how to achieve it.
  • Options
    He won't leave after 6 months, least of all when we're doing so well
  • Options
    I think 2 million would be enough to make the owners sit up.
  • Options
    He won't leave after 6 months, least of all when we're doing so well
    Hopefully not, but everyone has their price
  • Options
    Be more worried if someone came in for Solly personally. Evina is a good enough replacement but no decent RB cover at the mo.
  • Options
    If i was him id like to get a league title under my belt and then bugger off for more money
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's true that Solly would be hardest to replace due to available options but Wiggins is such a good player it would be a blow to lose him. He has to be part of our plan for a premiership push next season.
  • Options
    I'm confident we'll keep the players we want to keep during January.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Unless we get a silly offer I can't see us selling anyone, there's just no need. Apart from maybe BWP (just maybe) I can't see many/any of the others having a sulk if offers were turned down either given our league position.
  • Options
    any of our key players, if we're offered more than £4million we should accept. Anything less than that and it's not very good buisness sense.
  • Options
    any of our key players, if we're offered more than £4million we should accept. Anything less than that and it's not very good buisness sense.
    Be nice if it was as much as that but something tells me we would not get offers of that figure, even for BWP
  • Options
    I think 2 million would be enough to make the owners sit up.
    1.5m I reckon.
  • Options
    I think the main point is we really dont need to cash in, most of the decent players would be worth a similar amount in the summer so why jepordise our promotion push unless a replacement of goos enough standing cd brought in straight off and immediately gel and thats rarely the case in my view
  • Options
    Not even for £5m
    No one sane would pay that anyway
  • Options
    There will be a bid of £3m+ from Spurs in Jan.
  • Options
    Not many will throw 1.5 to 2 mill at a left back there are lot cheaper options out there proven at higher level. I think the kid ha the ability to go all the way but as said he will wan this title like the rest and then see i'n the summer where he lies. I would like to think if we go up he'll be here for another year
  • Options
    I can't wait to see how well our team compares to Fulham.
  • Options
    There will be a bid of £3m+ from Spurs in Jan.
    So lets enjoy Rhoys whilst we can then
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why is everyone certain Spurs are bidding on Wiggy in January? Is this is a rumour of substance or are people just saying it as part of our 'be convinced everyone is leaving' campaign?
  • Options
    Why is everyone certain Spurs are bidding on Wiggy in January? Is this is a rumour of substance or are people just saying it as part of our 'be convinced everyone is leaving' campaign?
    I have not seen anything about it.  To be honest, whilst I think he is a good player and I reckon he has been our best signing this season I think a team of Spurs' stature would be looking at other players.
  • Options
    Despite how well he's played, he's not even bottom half prem standard yet, let alone Spurs.

Ridiculous. We're league one.
  • Options
    Despite how well he's played, he's not even bottom half prem standard yet, let alone Spurs.

People said the same about Jenkinson and Shelvey - and they've played a fair few games each since moving on (injuries permitting).

I'd say that if anything Wiggins is more "experienced" now than either of those were at the time they left for serious dosh.
  • Options
    If Spurs offer 3m he's gone but pretty sure that won't happen.
  • Options

People said the same about Jenkinson and Shelvey - and they've played a fair few games each since moving on (injuries permitting).

I'd say that if anything Wiggins is more "experienced" now than either of those were at the time they left for serious dosh.
    The difference being Jenkinson and Shelvey were very young players who were still undergoing their footballing education at their first club. They were, what, 18 and 19, perfect for a Premiership club with a big academy to mold into top players. Wiggins is 24 and has played for a few clubs already, his situation isn't comparable.

But most importantly, he signed six bloody months ago. I will be shocked beyond belief if he moves on from a top of the table L1 club he signed for specifically to achieve promotion with to be a back up player at a team who are making a genuine attempt to win the Premiership. I just don't see it, everyone chill
  • Options
    Spurs rumour seems unlikely to me, but with Evina waiting in the wings and Youga potentially available as a free transfer to add cover, were a £2m offer to come in I'm sure it would be plenty enough to get them thinking.

The business plan is to buy upcoming talent cheap or develop youngsters and sell for a profit later. It'd be short sighted to do anything that may seriously jeapodise promotion but the club is still losing £££ and a chance to get an early return on some of the investment would at least be tempting to the board, especially as Wiggins is probably not as difficult to replace as some in the the squad.

All hypothetical of course.
  • Options
    Spurs rumour seems unlikely to me, but with Evina waiting in the wings and Youga potentially available as a free transfer to add cover, were a £2m offer to come in I'm sure it would be plenty enough to get them thinking.

The business plan is to buy upcoming talent cheap or develop youngsters and sell for a profit later. It'd be short sighted to do anything that may seriously jeapodise promotion but the club is still losing £££ and a chance to get an early return on some of the investment would at least be tempting to the board, especially as Wiggins is probably not as difficult to replace as some in the the squad.

All hypothetical of course.
    By your name i assume that you haven't seen many / any games this season. How on earth do you replace the best left back in this league without weakening the team because any replacement won't be coming from the championship or premier league?
  • Options

Evina would be a more than adequate replacement and the money could be spent on a striker perhaps? Not that I want it to happen.

• Options
    All just rumours as the Spurs assistant watched a few games this season.

My money is on him being with us 1st February