Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rhoys Wiggins - No Such Thing As Bad Publicity

Comments

• Options
    Despite how well he's played, he's not even bottom half prem standard yet, let alone Spurs.

Ridiculous. We're league one.
    People said the same about Jenkinson and Shelvey - and they've played a fair few games each since moving on (injuries permitting).

I'd say that if anything Wiggins is more "experienced" now than either of those were at the time they left for serious dosh.
    The difference being Jenkinson and Shelvey were very young players who were still undergoing their footballing education at their first club. They were, what, 18 and 19, perfect for a Premiership club with a big academy to mold into top players. Wiggins is 24 and has played for a few clubs already, his situation isn't comparable.

But most importantly, he signed six bloody months ago. I will be shocked beyond belief if he moves on from a top of the table L1 club he signed for specifically to achieve promotion with to be a back up player at a team who are making a genuine attempt to win the Premiership. I just don't see it, everyone chill
    Spurs rumour seems unlikely to me, but with Evina waiting in the wings and Youga potentially available as a free transfer to add cover, were a £2m offer to come in I'm sure it would be plenty enough to get them thinking.

The business plan is to buy upcoming talent cheap or develop youngsters and sell for a profit later. It'd be short sighted to do anything that may seriously jeapodise promotion but the club is still losing £££ and a chance to get an early return on some of the investment would at least be tempting to the board, especially as Wiggins is probably not as difficult to replace as some in the the squad.

All hypothetical of course.
    By your name i assume that you haven't seen many / any games this season. How on earth do you replace the best left back in this league without weakening the team because any replacement won't be coming from the championship or premier league?
    I agreed with exiled until the not as difficult to replace bit.  Apart from BWP, he is our most important player
  • Options
    All just rumours as the Spurs assistant watched a few games this season.

My money is on him being with us 1st February
    Without any shadow of a doubt
  • Options

BWP, Kermogant, Hollands, Taylor, Morrison, Solly all more important at the moment in my opinion. Left back is one postion we're well covered for.

• Options
    No not attended any matches this season but have seen all the televised games. Been very very impressed with Wiggins. Also been impressed with Evina when I've seen him play. Wiggins is the better player but Evina would get into most League 1 teams imo. Evina is already in our squad and therefore replacing Wiggins would not require additional investment and the premium that attracts for doing business in the January transfer window.

Were Kermorgant, Hollands or BWP to be sold we don't have players of similar quality ready to step straight in and replace them. That would mean spending a sizeable chunk of any fee received on a replacement player making the act of selling less lucrative and the risk to promotion a much bigger gamble.

That's what I mean by easier to replace, not that he's a weaker player or less important player.
  • Options
    Not even for £5m
    No one sane would pay that anyway
    Que a bid from Pardew in the next couple of weeks then.............................................
  • Options
    Here's a rumour, Spurs to sign Wiggins to replace Ekotto who is off to the African Nations for a month.

• Options
    I expect him to be with us post transfer window unless we get a silly offer from prem, and he wants to join them which he might if he tripled his wages and he thought that the offer may not be there in the summer.

I don't think the club would sell unless they had a silly offer and Wiggins throw his toys out.  Promotion would add to his value.

However, I think Rhodes is more likely to go than Rhoys
  • Options
    CP has said he will probably add a face or two to the squad, but it may depend on one or two leaving.....
  • Options
    CP has said he will probably add a face or two to the squad, but it may depend on one or two leaving.....
    that one or two is probably benson and doherty.
  • Options
    Here's a rumour, Spurs to sign Wiggins to replace Ekotto who is off to the African Nations for a month.

Why post that? Stupid. I swear some fans secretly harbour a return to the bad (recent) times. Or maybe it's that the team are playing so well there's nothing to moan about.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    A couple of decent seasons in the Championship under his belt before anyone can think he can get near a game in the top flight. Leaving now would IMHO set his career back but money talks.
  • Options
    Well, people have got to have something to worry about, haven't they?

Personally I don't think the left back position has been adequately filled since we criminally let Scott Minto go for a (relative) pittance. (NB. Was gonna say Mark Reid,  but I reckon we saw his best years)
  • Options
    Where's Willie Warman these days ?
  • Options
    Rest assured that clubs like Spurs will have him on their radar but they have a pretty good left back at the minute. From what SCP has said, we are likely to let one or two fringe players go and I expect it is more likeely we bring a player or two in  (if the standard and price is right) than lose one of our key ones.
  • Options

Hmmm, Wiggins and Bale on that left side. Could be a smart move for Harry.

It would be a massive blow for him to go, but a wouldn't object to a bit of pay back to our owners, particularly with Evina and Youga waiting in the wings.. It can only encourage them.

• Options
    It would damage us - wouldn't make any sense whatsoever to lose him and his value is not going to suddenly diminish is it?
  • Options
    This would be as poor a decision as selling Frazer Richardson proved to be.
  • Options
    Yes, I'm pretty confident we will get promoted but the biggest danger would be to mess about with what has proven to be a winning formula. I would imagine everybody at the club will understand that and the real riches could come if offers are resisted and nerves are held and we take a look where this team can take us.
  • Options
    This would be as poor a decision as selling Frazer Richardson proved to be.
    He's barely kicked a ball since leaving us because of injury. Seems a pretty good idea to get shot if that's the case IMO
  • Options
    Has there actually been a bid for Wiggins, or any interest in him?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

BWP, Kermogant, Hollands, Taylor, Morrison, Solly all more important at the moment in my opinion. Left back is one postion we're well covered for.

I always rated Kermogant, to begin with I think people were a bit split about him.   Good target man with no small amount of skill and a fantastic eye for finding players
  • Options
    He got injured whilst with them and probably wouldn't have done if he had stayed with us!
  • Options
    Not even for £5m
    No one sane would pay that anyway
    Que a bid from Pardew in the next couple of weeks then.............................................
    Robbie Elliott I never had a problem with, but xmas came early with a five year contract up there.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The thing with Elliot was that he refused to sign a new contract but Wiggins has just signed for us. And he is beginning to get noticed, if he performs as I think he will in the Championship - his value  is going to soar. I see a future premiership player there and hopefully he will achieve that with us.

Apart from the extra money, Elliot seems a good way from the Toon first team - do you think he might have some regrets about taking the money and missing out on this season?
  • Options
    I expect him to be with us post transfer window unless we get a silly offer from prem, and he wants to join them which he might if he tripled his wages and he thought that the offer may not be there in the summer.

I don't think the club would sell unless they had a silly offer and Wiggins throw his toys out.  Promotion would add to his value.

However, I think Rhodes is more likely to go than Rhoys
    When did we sign Rhodes then????  Yes that would be great for him to go, I think that would put a serious dent in Huddersfield's automatic spot intentions
  • Options
    Doherty for a start to get him off the wage bill, I would imagine he is one of the top earners
  • Options
    Well, people have got to have something to worry about, haven't they?

Personally I don't think the left back position has been adequately filled since we criminally let Scott Minto go for a (relative) pittance. (NB. Was gonna say Mark Reid,  but I reckon we saw his best years)
    I don't think Chris Powell was a bad left back!!!!!
  • Options
    Where's Willie Warman these days ?
    If you mean Phil Warman from the 70's I think he is a taxi driver
  • Options
    Doc will stay I suspect as nobody will want to pay him what he is currently getting. I think he is decent 4th choice CB cover- we won't get amybody better who will be happy to be so far from the first team and I'm sure he could do a job for the odd game in an emergency -which I hope is not necessary.
  • Options
    Rest assured that clubs like Spurs will have him on their radar but they have a pretty good left back at the minute. From what SCP has said, we are likely to let one or two fringe players go and I expect it is more likeely we bring a player or two in  (if the standard and price is right) than lose one of our key ones.
    Losing key players will be out of Charlton's control if the right offer comes in, I think the only guy we need to worry about with offers coming in is BWP