Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rhoys Wiggins - No Such Thing As Bad Publicity

Comments

• Options
    Here's a rumour, Spurs to sign Wiggins to replace Ekotto who is off to the African Nations for a month.

Hmmm, Wiggins and Bale on that left side. Could be a smart move for Harry.

It would be a massive blow for him to go, but a wouldn't object to a bit of pay back to our owners, particularly with Evina and Youga waiting in the wings.. It can only encourage them.

Kelly Youga is finished
  • Options
    This would be as poor a decision as selling Frazer Richardson proved to be.
    John Humphrey is my favourite ever player but Richardson would have come close if he had stayed with us, big shame
  • Options
    Here's a rumour, Spurs to sign Wiggins to replace Ekotto who is off to the African Nations for a month.

Why post that? Stupid. I swear some fans secretly harbour a return to the bad (recent) times. Or maybe it's that the team are playing so well there's nothing to moan about.

Lol, I'm sorry it's coming to silly season with the transfer window, I could've put it on footie rumours and it would've been posted on here and then everyone would be worried so at least we get it out of the way now.

On Wiggins I think he performs and links up alot better with Jackson in front of him than Ephraim

• Options
    Has there actually been a bid for Wiggins, or any interest in him?
    Have seen nothing in the papers whatsoever
  • Options
    Spurs rumour seems unlikely to me, but with Evina waiting in the wings and Youga potentially available as a free transfer to add cover, were a £2m offer to come in I'm sure it would be plenty enough to get them thinking. The business plan is to buy upcoming talent cheap or develop youngsters and sell for a profit later. It'd be short sighted to do anything that may seriously jeapodise promotion but the club is still losing £££ and a chance to get an early return on some of the investment would at least be tempting to the board, especially as Wiggins is probably not as difficult to replace as some in the the squad. All hypothetical of course.
    Think this is about right.  It would be a great chance to get a bit of balance in the books in a position where we're well covered.
  • Options
    The thing with Elliot was that he refused to sign a new contract but Wiggins has just signed for us. And he is beginning to get noticed, if he performs as I think he will in the Championship - his value  is going to soar. I see a future premiership player there and hopefully he will achieve that with us.

Apart from the extra money, Elliot seems a good way from the Toon first team - do you think he might have some regrets about taking the money and missing out on this season?
    Valid points there Mutley.  I do not think he regrets taking the money, would imagine he got a big rise, an opportunity he could not turn down in the hope that he made it into the first team
  • Options
    Doc will stay I suspect as nobody will want to pay him what he is currently getting. I think he is decent 4th choice CB cover- we won't get amybody better who will be happy to be so far from the first team and I'm sure he could do a job for the odd game in an emergency -which I hope is not necessary.
    Do not what he is on but imagine a minimum of a 'mere' 5k a week
  • Options
    I think the business plan is a bit more complicated than that and will develop with the circumstances. The board will have noticed what Norwich have done and this season Southampton and would not unreasonably be asking themselves, could we do that? You are then talking valuations going sky high and the prospect of selling the club for a very healthy profit also coming into play. Then you have to look at a player like WIggins and say - he is on a long contract -if he is worth 2 or 3 million now- is he going to be worth a lot less in the summer or at the end of next season? He could quite feasibly be worth more as he is a player who is coming to people's attention.
  • Options
    Spurs rumour seems unlikely to me, but with Evina waiting in the wings and Youga potentially available as a free transfer to add cover, were a £2m offer to come in I'm sure it would be plenty enough to get them thinking. The business plan is to buy upcoming talent cheap or develop youngsters and sell for a profit later. It'd be short sighted to do anything that may seriously jeapodise promotion but the club is still losing £££ and a chance to get an early return on some of the investment would at least be tempting to the board, especially as Wiggins is probably not as difficult to replace as some in the the squad. All hypothetical of course.
    Think this is about right.  It would be a great chance to get a bit of balance in the books in a position where we're well covered.
    I do not think selling your best players after 6 months is such a good idea, you need continuity.  We have a settled side and look at the results.  So lets not look to sell, just wait for the inevitable when people come sniffing and reasess then
  • Options
    I agree, Youga looked promising and equally iffy. He is nowehere near the footballing level of some of our current crop of players.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Youga was becoming very good before his injury but he has been out so long it would be quite possible that he won't get back to that point agian. Anyway, at his best, he is still a long way from WIggins - I was told by Bournemouth mate what we were getting and whilst it took a few of us who were not aware of the player some time to see it, I knew the advice of somebody I trust who has wtached him over a season meant the club had done some brilliant business.
  • Options
    forget Youga, he won't play for us again (liability anyway)
  • Options
    Has there actually been a bid for Wiggins, or any interest in him?
    No but thats irrelevant ;-)

• Options

Outside the top 6 or so in the Premiership hardly any of the others have any money.  Wiggins is not god enough to get in the top 6 (yet!).

As such he is probably not "worth" more than £1M absolute max but not convinced we would even get that for a 24yr old League1 Left Back. 

A good thing really as it will mean he will stay.

• Options

Youga has played a few games for the reserves - whether it's to fill in at left back, help him get fit or because CP is looking at re-signing him who knows.

Will Wiggins go? I hope not, but bear in mind that the club is forecast to make a £4m loss this year. Buying and then selling on a player can make a dent in that, especially when his replacement Evina is sat in the stands most weekends and can't make the bench let alone the first team.

• Options
    You lot are mad. Wiggins has been one of our stars this season but what the hell, let's sell him....great logic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Doc will stay I suspect as nobody will want to pay him what he is currently getting. I think he is decent 4th choice CB cover- we won't get amybody better who will be happy to be so far from the first team and I'm sure he could do a job for the odd game in an emergency -which I hope is not necessary.
    Do not what he is on but imagine a minimum of a 'mere' 5k a week
    Doubt Doherty is on anything like £5k+.

Semedo and Racon were said to be on £6-8k and we signed them after being relegated from the Prem.

The summer we signed Doherty Richard Murray had said the average wage was now just £2k a week. No doubt that's higher now.

I agree with Muttley no one will pay him what he's on now so he'll probably stay.
  • Options
    I agree, Youga looked promising and equally iffy. He is nowehere near the footballing level of some of our current crop of players.
    Think I would rather have Basey back than Youga......ok I am only joking there!
  • Options
    Re 'Here's a rumour, Spurs to sign Wiggins to replace Ekotto who is off to the African Nations for a month'.

Ekotto plays for Cameroon who didn't qualify for the African Cup of Nations unless he having a holiday in Africa in January?

• Options

Outside the top 6 or so in the Premiership hardly any of the others have any money.  Wiggins is not god enough to get in the top 6 (yet!).

As such he is probably not "worth" more than £1M absolute max but not convinced we would even get that for a 24yr old League1 Left Back. 

A good thing really as it will mean he will stay.

Pretty much spolt on there, upfront brings the serious money anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have spurs become skint all of a sudden ,

If I was a member I'd the yid army and the season that they are having, with the money at their disposal, would I seriously want to sign a 3rd division defender as cover for anyone in my team,

Some need a serious reality check wiggins is a very good player in the 3rd division, there are better full backs in the championship and premier league, and proberly every other top division in Europe

If wiggins goes to spurs it won't be in January, it would be a summer move where he will have a chance to adapt and be less of a risk to the club he joins

Best line I have heard in ages wiggins to spurs
  • Options
    This would be as poor a decision as selling Frazer Richardson proved to be.
    Unless the frazer money kept the club afloat?
  • Options
    As someone said earlier, only the very top few clubs have money to splash and the little the others have is unlikely to be gambled on a league one left back unless he can be bought very cheaply which we all hope is not going to happen. Having said that every club is pretty much a selling club if the money is right. Tottenham fans will be just a worried about losing Bale as we are of losing Rhoys. No doubt if one of the really big clubs come hunting for Bale he will be gone.
  • Options
    Re 'Here's a rumour, Spurs to sign Wiggins to replace Ekotto who is off to the African Nations for a month'.

Ekotto plays for Cameroon who didn't qualify for the African Cup of Nations unless he having a holiday in Africa in January?

I didn't know that, surprising looking at the teams who have qualified

So now there's no reason for Spurs wanting him then
  • Options
    I do not think selling your best players after 6 months is such a good idea, you need continuity.  We have a settled side and look at the results.  So lets not look to sell, just wait for the inevitable when people come sniffing and reasess then
    Obviously not a fans decision.  If it were down to supporters we'd have squads of 100s of players and never let anyone good, go.  But it's not our cash that's paying their wages.
  • Options
    Have spurs become skint all of a sudden ,

If I was a member I'd the yid army and the season that they are having, with the money at their disposal, would I seriously want to sign a 3rd division defender as cover for anyone in my team,

Some need a serious reality check wiggins is a very good player in the 3rd division, there are better full backs in the championship and premier league, and proberly every other top division in Europe

If wiggins goes to spurs it won't be in January, it would be a summer move where he will have a chance to adapt and be less of a risk to the club he joins

Best line I have heard in ages wiggins to spurs
    Reckon someone on a wind up, not seen anything
  • Options
    As someone said earlier, only the very top few clubs have money to splash and the little the others have is unlikely to be gambled on a league one left back unless he can be bought very cheaply which we all hope is not going to happen. Having said that every club is pretty much a selling club if the money is right. Tottenham fans will be just a worried about losing Bale as we are of losing Rhoys. No doubt if one of the really big clubs come hunting for Bale he will be gone.
    See him at The Valley in January then
  • Options
    Obviously not a fans decision.  If it were down to supporters we'd have squads of 100s of players and never let anyone good, go.  But it's not our cash that's paying their wages.
    A bit of our cash is, but only a bit. Once we go up next season I imagine almost all of our players will be very happy to be playing championship football.  
  • Options
    The thing about this rumour is it's based around the old Spurs. In fact, let's not even call it a rumour, that gives it too much credit. The old, mid-table, looked like they had a good team then ended up failing again Spurs used to sign every player from around them regardless of squad size/need. Even then they would only sign the real top talent from the Championship rather than going any further down, like Dawson and Reid. But now Spurs are actually pushing to win the league. One of their January signings last year was Dutch international Rafael van der Vaart from Real Madrid. They also robbed Steven Pienaar off Premiership Everton on high wages and he doesn't even make the bench most games. Do people really think Spurs can even see Charlton anymore? If they really needed a left back they'd sign Leighton Baines or any other whole host of proven Premiership players, followed by a highly rated foreign left back.

Is the One Aim to panic?
  • Options
    The thing about this rumour is it's based around the old Spurs. In fact, let's not even call it a rumour, that gives it too much credit. The old, mid-table, looked like they had a good team then ended up failing again Spurs used to sign every player from around them regardless of squad size/need. Even then they would only sign the real top talent from the Championship rather than going any further down, like Dawson and Reid. But now Spurs are actually pushing to win the league. One of their January signings last year was Dutch international Rafael van der Vaart from Real Madrid. They also robbed Steven Pienaar off Premiership Everton on high wages and he doesn't even make the bench most games. Do people really think Spurs can even see Charlton anymore? If they really needed a left back they'd sign Leighton Baines or any other whole host of proven Premiership players, followed by a highly rated foreign left back.

Is the One Aim to panic?

Very good post and my thoughts exactly.