Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charltons No1 rival?

edited January 2012 in General Charlton
Who is it?
The shortlist has to be Millwall, Palace and possibly west ham, but considering everything, from our perspective, who is charltons no1 rival football club?

Don't know if it's actually worth a debate, but I believe every club has that no1 rival team; Built up from their location and history.
I hate millwall more than palace personally so even though they might not be, from my perspective, I consider them our biggest rivals.

Who do you think it is?

Obviously doesnt have to be on the little shortlist but probably is.

Comments

• Options
    Oi, are you telling us that you're an Addick fan and are blissfully ignorant of our No1 rival?!

Any decent Addick fan knows that it's Welling United and not these teams mentioned...
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday
  • Options
    dont get me started on welling.
  • Options
    Steve Claridge
  • Options
    There is a bit of history violence between charlton and Wednesday. I would consider them a rival at this point!
  • Options
    Sheffield Wednesday
    Way too massive for us.

I'll go for Greenwich Borough F.C
  • Options
    Was brought up to hate palace and be indifferent to millwall as they aren't worth the time, particularly as we had been above them for years.
  • Options
    Considering all the animosity between the two clubs over the years, it has to be Gretna FC.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Bit of a wind-up Dave...........surely!
  • Options
    Crystal palace
    crystal palace reserves
    crystal palace youth
    crystal palace u7s (Who Charlton play on Friday with my son playing!!) Grrrrrrrrrr
    Carshalton Athletic
    Croydon FC
    And any more tin pot clubs who are in a 5 mile radius of the shithole they call sellout park!!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wish you guys could forget this crap about Palace etc. At the moment it is Huddersfield, Wednesday, United and MK Dons who are our biggest rivals. I hope that next year it will be the Clubs at the top of the Championship. I always have to laugh when someone comes on here and says 'my best mate is a Millwall fan,' and then proceeds to pile a load of abuse on your best friends Club. Is it a young persons thing ? Or are there old uns like me still thinking they have to hate certain Clubs ? I fell completely in love with the game of football as a child, all I had to do was to choose a Club to support. Negativity is a poison.
  • Options
    I wish you guys could forget this crap about Palace etc. At the moment it is Huddersfield, Wednesday, United and MK Dons who are our biggest rivals. I hope that next year it will be the Clubs at the top of the Championship. I always have to laugh when someone comes on here and says 'my best mate is a Millwall fan,' and then proceeds to pile a load of abuse on your best friends Club. Is it a young persons thing ? Or are there old uns like me still thinking they have to hate certain Clubs ? I fell completely in love with the game of football as a child, all I had to do was to choose a Club to support. Negativity is a poison.
    Great post.
  • Options
    Someone's not had his weetabix this morning...................
  • Options
    So what you are saying is if you are not in the same league you cant be rivals?

Try telling that to Watford and Luton or Man Utd and Leeds who have not been in the same league for a quite a few years!

To me CP will always be our main rivals
  • Options
    I think that a lot of you should re-define rivals as enemies.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I'm firmly with Granpa.
    All those youngsters who want a rival/enemy perhaps should start brushing up on thier Farsi and studying maps of Iran!
    (said with tongue firmly in cheek)
  • Options
    I think that a lot of you should re-define rivals as enemies.
    Funny enough, I don't really class the nigels as rivals yet I hate them with a passion...............
  • Options
    FFS everyone..........it is and always will be The Spanners....with a decent bit of Palarse thrown in for good measure.!
  • Options
    FFS everyone..........it is and always will be The Spanners....with a decent bit of Palarse thrown in for good measure.!
    yes but.. if they regarded us as thier main rival fair enough, but they just see us as the spotty kid up the road.
  • Options
    I think you are wrong but everyone to their own!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Old Etonians and Royal Engineers. Sick of the way they were always giving it large at the start of the 20th Century, living off past glories.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    i thought it used to arsenal up until we were really atrociously shit and to slum it with them down at at some god forsaken level that the rest of the world had forgotten existed.

the realisation that they could be our new rivals and that fuck, we really had sunk this low only really dawned on us probably in the 70's after seeing what a big game we were and still are to them, whereas we had always seen them as something more like welling that you wouldn't really ever count. like the way that west ham view orient.

but grandpa may have called it just about right.
  • Options
    We are rivals with Millwall and Palace in in that we are trying to attract supporters fron the same general area. I think we are winning this contest despite being in a lower division, at the moment.

The hate comes from insecure or inadequate people seeing others making a different choice thus leading them to doubt they have made the right decison as to which club to support. This doubt leads to them over-compensating and turns into hate for those who chose differently.

I personally have never hated or even disliked rival clubs' fans, just pitied them for not supporting the best club in the land.

• Options
    we are charlton remember, we have to like EVERYONE
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    So lets forget their geographical location
    Lets forget the years of misery when we played there
    Lets forget the sadness I felt when John Humphries signed for them
    Lets forget the day I saw us loose there on Boxing day without a keeper got frozen threatened and found my car vandalised when I returned to it (1984)
    Lets forget the play off loss to them
    Lets forget Dennis in the last minute
    Lets forget John Fortunes goal that aided their relegation
    Lets forget Ian Dowie and law suits
    Lets forget Ron Noades
    Lets forget Simon Jordon and the Moron quote
    Lets forget the Sydenham train attack
    Lets forget the "clowns" jibe on the FLS
    @ing laughing now"
    lets forget the delight I felt when they lost on penalties the other evening

Granpa, sorry for the rant but I am not a youngster and do see them as a rival, I cant see that changing with age
  • Options
    @better red than dead

"We are rivals with Millwall and Palace in in that we are trying to attract supporters fron the same general area. I think we are winning this contest despite being in a lower division, at the moment"

Is that what you consider makes us 3 teams rivals? That we compete for support? I suspect for many of us who go regularly, not one of the 3 clubs had to compete for our support; your Dad/Grandad/Uncle/Friends supported Charlton/Millwall/Palace and you became a fan of that team.
    Charlton or Palace could offer me free tickets to every game, a free ride & booze and I wouldn't take it.

I thought the rivalry is built up from hundreds/thousands of the fans of the 3 clubs all living in a similar area, growing up with banter, bragging rights, etc & wanting to get one over on eachother. Nothing to do with competing for size of support etc.
  • Options
    I thought the rivalry is built up from hundreds/thousands of the fans of the 3 clubs all living in a similar area, growing up with banter, bragging rights, etc & wanting to get one over on eachother. Nothing to do with competing for size of support etc.
    Agreed, reluctantly..
    Palarse are & always will be our "rivals" in my eyes. Millwall are more like a trashy pub you wished the Council would close down...

• Options
    Millwall I don't want to be their friends by hating palace more there nerds who I dislike
  • Options
    can the B word please be banned from this website. makes my skin crawl.
  • Options
    "negativity is a poison"

i dont think it fair to say that rivalry is negative ,its a motivating factor ,for me (aged 55) i d say milwall and palace are our longterm rivals,and i d class palace as greater rivals ,primarily because of Selhurst days and the peroxided one .I have many freinds who support different clubs but i cant describe our rivalry as negative ,agreed our current rivals are those in the top 6