Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charltons No1 rival?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Soundasa£ - Millwall are fluffy bunny rabbits and nearly evry Charlton fan's second favourite team. Crystal Palace are evil Orcs.

Know your history.
  • Options
    Then you will always remain a small club with a small outlook SLL and you will always have to sell your players before you achieve anything.
  • Options
    Palice without a doubt.....but still fundamentally a one sided rivalry
  • Options
    Palice? Palice? Who the fuck is Palice?
  • Options
    Palarse.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Started going in the early 70's - Millwall were our rivals, hated the lack of red and white whenever we played them, but always went to the game and virtually always saw us lose against them.

They were our rivals, but I never really 'hated' them.

My Grandad, who wasn't a Valley regular, having spent a lot of times overseas in the CS, was Charlton with a soft spot for Pompey. First time I ever heard him swear was at The Valley one crisp boxing day afternoon (funny how some things you never forget!), disliked Palace intently - mainly for their style of football. I never quite saw that animosity as in my early Charlton years we rarely played them.

The wilderness years however changed everything (how come playing at Upton Park felt so different?). The grief we got, Ron Noades and then that tosser Jordan, really got my goat. I loved it when we beat them at SP and the draw at The Valley will stay with me for as long as I live. Ten minutes after the whistle had gone, there were still three sides of the ground, 90% full, singing Amarillo. I so loved that moment. Karma was there and everything was well in the World.

When Jordan went tits up and some decent fans buying the club, my animosity has dwindled, for sure. But given the choice, I would still prefer them to come down than Millwall. I have no idea why, as despite the 'Nigel' insult, their fans are so similar to us. Certainly more so than Millwalls.

Yet they have no history, they are suburbia personified, they have a crumbling pain in the arse to get to ground, they change colours, shirts and badges like the wind, yet some of nicest people I've met are Palace fanatics and their new owners are decent people who just happen to be Palace fans.

So, because of Noades and Jordan, two of the most obnoxious, self centred, hypocritical, greedy and arrogant bastards I have ever had the pleasure to meet (I quite like Theo) it has to be Palace for me.
  • Options
    I have no idea why, as despite the 'Nigel' insult, their fans are so similar to us.
    blockquote>

No, Just no.
  • Options
    Then you will always remain a small club with a small outlook SLL and you will always have to sell your players before you achieve anything.
    & I accept that. I support my team for what they are, who I go with and the enjoyment, disappointment and rollercoaster of emotions it entails. I'm happy with that. Have no desire to ferry in fans from all over SE London & Kent who have no real attachment to the club, have no desire to sit in a soulless concrete bowl with happy clappy premiership fans spending fortunes on Monday night & Sunday kick offs, to see the club become sanitised like every other club who've been in the prem. We are what we are, I love following them, won't change and I don't want to flog ourselves just to attract the pound note.
  • Options
    How anyone can look past Palarse in the 'hate' stakes i cannot see. Wasn't it great to see them flop on penalties the other night and miss out on Wembley.
  • Options
    How anyone can look past Palarse in the 'hate' stakes i cannot see. Wasn't it great to see them flop on penalties the other night and miss out on Wembley.
    To be quite honest, i didn't watch it, i wasn't interested, i don't care etc, etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Palice? Palice? Who the fuck is Palice?
    Could not have put it better myself
  • Options
    & I accept that. I support my team for what they are, who I go with and the enjoyment, disappointment and rollercoaster of emotions it entails. I'm happy with that. Have no desire to ferry in fans from all over SE London & Kent who have no real attachment to the club, have no desire to sit in a soulless concrete bowl with happy clappy premiership fans spending fortunes on Monday night & Sunday kick offs, to see the club become sanitised like every other club who've been in the prem. We are what we are, I love following them, won't change and I don't want to flog ourselves just to attract the pound note.
    Cannot argue with that
  • Options
    Long live Jon Fortune

• Options
    I remember the days when it was most definitely Millwall who were Charlton's rivals. Palace didn't get a look-in in the 60s and 70s. But it all changed when we moved to Selhurst Park. It was supposed to be a ground share on equal terms, at least that was how it was sold to us. In fact we were considered lodgers at best by Palace, but mostly regarded with disdain. That's how I remember it starting and so it has continued. The pain and humiliation of those days went very deep and there now seems to be no place for friendly rivalry between us of the kind that exists with Millwall, just bitterness on our part and incomprehension on theirs. The Palace fans I have come across and spoken to about this genuinely don't understand why we hate their club so much, and this illustrates the rift between us which is probably never going to be mended.
  • Options
    Boring. Palace are trying to ferry fans in. Not working though is it? Why? because there aren't people out there waiting to be ferried in but there were thousands of lapsed Charlton fans who just neede a bit of encouragement that the club were trying rather than the 30 years of taking the piss that the previous owners offered. You have more fair weather fans than anybody which is why you are what you are.
  • Options
    When I was at school, every dimwit wannabe hard man affiliated themselves to Millwall.
    None of them actually played, less watched, the game.
    However, true football fans followed Charlton, West Ham or Spurs.
    And to an extent, that's probably still the case today.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    west ham and spurs?!

west ham have a fair few supporters who have some even if just minor (like they went shopping once in crisp street market) connection to the east end. oh and those who saw green street.

spurs like all biggish teams gain fans from all over the place. my brother for example supports spurs as does alot of his mates, they started supporting them when they had their glory years of wining the cup and being in europe in the 80s. they haven't gone to a spurs match since the late 90s. one reason is because the price the other they are always on tv.

edit- when i say they are always on tv i meant spurs, not my brother and his mates.

• Options
    Crystal palace
    crystal palace reserves
    crystal palace youth
    crystal palace u7s (Who Charlton play on Friday with my son playing!!) Grrrrrrrrrr
    Carshalton Athletic
    Croydon FC
    And any more tin pot clubs who are in a 5 mile radius of the shithole they call sellout park!!!!!
  • Options
    Crystal palace
    crystal palace reserves
    crystal palace youth
    crystal palace u7s (Who Charlton play on Friday with my son playing!!) Grrrrrrrrrr
    Carshalton Athletic
    Croydon FC
    And any more tin pot clubs who are in a 5 mile radius of the shithole they call sellout park!!!!!
    hahahahaha

• Options
    Palace simply never figured as any kind of rival for me as a kid. They were nothing.
    Until 'Big Mal' Gobbed off against us in the 70's. My first away match was to Palace. Like most Charlton fans now, I don't think it is too strong to say that I loathe everything about the stripy Nigels. They really believe that they are something when we all know the reality.
    Just for the record http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_London_derby
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If i'm being honest, i don't want palace or millwall to be relegated this season (assuming we go up). I've never experienced all 3 south london clubs in the same division.
  • Options
    If i'm being honest, i don't want palace or millwall to be relegated this season (assuming we go up). I've never experienced all 3 south london clubs in the same division.
    95/96 was the last time at happened
  • Options
    Palace all day long. I absolutely dispise them but I do hate Millwall too.
  • Options
    Jeez, looking at the rather good Wikipedia article, we really are crap in these South London derbies. Hope we do better next year.
    For me Millwall are our main rivals, followed by palarse but in terms of personal dislike it is the other way round.
  • Options
    It would be great if charlton palace and millwall were all in the same division. That's 4 big derbys. West ham look on corse for the 1st attempt bounce back.