Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charltons No1 rival?

Comments

• Options
    @SoundAsa£ reds comment starts 'its palace for me'

so thats how he views them in his time as being a charlton fan. i would imagine thats down to us playing Palace more in our recent history than millwall. although you may 'know what you are talking about', it doesnt necessarily count for everyone.
  • Options
    For me its Palace closely followed by Gillingham, with them its just my brother married into a Gillingham family who the first time i met them and ever since have explained how they hate Charlton for nearly everything that has gone wrong at there club in last 20 years including us apparently stealing there fans.
  • Options
    Well in that case I'd say that's why you've never grasped the Millsmall thing.....you haven't really lived through it.
    I'm by no means the eldest of fans.....I was 64 last week. but I've been alive for 64 years of the 107 years of the clubs existence.....which is approaching two thirds of it's history.
    I'd like to think I've lived through these rivalries and as an ex Covered Ender of many years standing, I think I can say I know what I'm talking about red.
    Ok then. My Granddad is 80 and was going to Millwall since he was a kid, brought up in Deptford etc, also worked on the docks, he was Stevedore. He has no malice whatsoever with Charlton, in fact he'd go there some weeks as well. West Ham however there was always rivalry & banter on the docks with west ham supporting dockers. He likes seeing Charlton do well, but not West Ham.

My Dad, 60, been going Millwall since he was 10. Before he was allowed to travel away games he used to go to The Valley & Arsenal regularly. He also has no malice with Charlton at all and also wishes to see them do well. He can't stand to see West Ham do well.

Myself, only ever a friendly rivalry with Charlton, have grown up with Charlton fans, always taking their digs on the chin, you've generally been more successful than us in my lifetime so have had Charlton fans trying to ram it in to my face, but doesn't really get a rise out of me, as Charlton are local rivals yes, but you don't stir the same feelings as palace do and certainly nothing like what west ham do.

Our rivals are West Ham, it's one of the few things us & them agree on. Second is Palace. The deeper passions & feelings of dislike come from Charlton fans to Millwall, not the other way round.
  • Options

so thats how he views them in his time as being a charlton fan. i would imagine thats down to us playing Palace more in our recent history than millwall. although you may 'know what you are talking about', it doesnt necessarily count for everyone.
    Well that's obvious Gary......isn't that what exactly what I'm pointing out......well I thought I was anyway?
  • Options
    As i've said before - we are like the kid at school that everybody likes. Not because he's harmless or buys sweets for everybody but just coz he's got that way about him. Call it charm.
  • Options
    Well in that case I'd say that's why you've never grasped the Millsmall thing.....you haven't really lived through it.
    I'm by no means the eldest of fans.....I was 64 last week. but I've been alive for 64 years of the 107 years of the clubs existence.....which is approaching two thirds of it's history.
    I'd like to think I've lived through these rivalries and as an ex Covered Ender of many years standing, I think I can say I know what I'm talking about red.
    Ok then. My Granddad is 80 and was going to Millwall since he was a kid, brought up
    in Deptford etc, also worked on the docks, he was Stevedore. He has no malice whatsoever with Charlton, in fact he'd go there some weeks as well. West Ham however there was always rivalry & banter on the docks with west ham supporting dockers. He likes seeing Charlton do well, but not West Ham.

My Dad, 60, been going Millwall since he was 10. Before he was allowed to travel away games he used to go to The Valley & Arsenal regularly. He also has no malice with Charlton at all and also wishes to see them do well. He can't stand to see West Ham do well.

Myself, only ever a friendly rivalry with Charlton, have grown up with Charlton fans, always taking their digs on the chin, you've generally been more successful than us in my lifetime so have had Charlton fans trying to ram it in to my face, but doesn't really get a rise out of me, as Charlton are local rivals yes, but you don't stir the same feelings as palace do and certainly nothing like what west ham do.

Our rivals are West Ham, it's one of the few things us & them agree on. Second is Palace. The deeper passions & feelings of dislike come from Charlton fans to Millwall, not the other way round.
    Not the ones I've had some tear-up's with over the years that used to come to The Valley regularly just to have rucks, even when they wern't playing us...now have Palarse ,Gillingham or Arsenal ever done that....NO!

• Options
    Soundasa£
    I'm just a few years younger than you and i remember those days well. As i've mentioned elsewhere it even continued onto friday and saturday nights. But i don't think that sort of rivalry goes on now.
  • Options
    Ok then. My Granddad is 80 and was going to Millwall since he was a kid, brought up
    in Deptford etc, also worked on the docks, he was Stevedore. He has no malice whatsoever with Charlton, in fact he'd go there some weeks as well. West Ham however there was always rivalry & banter on the docks with west ham supporting dockers. He likes seeing Charlton do well, but not West Ham.

Not the ones I've had some tear-up's with over the years that used to come to The Valley regularly just to have rucks, even when they wern't playing us...now have Palarse ,Gillingham or Arsenal ever done that....NO!

Blimey. Putting Palace & Gillingham mobs (have they even got any?) in the same bracket as Arsenal!
    You know from experience that Palace couldn't touch Charlton, let alone travel to The Valley for a row. Gillingham's mob could fit into a 6 berth caravan and Arsenal I doubt would bother when they could wait around Kings Cross on non-home games with other representatives of London mobs and batter northerners!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Soundasa£
    I'm just a few years younger than you and i remember those days well. As i've mentioned elsewhere it even continued onto friday and saturday nights. But i don't think that sort of rivalry goes on now.
    No, thankfully it doesn't but could well do so if we started playing them again on aregular basis.....the undercurrent is still there in some areas.

• Options
    Soundasa£
    But you also had Millwall/West Ham looking for eachother during the same period and still do!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Spanners will always look at the place/club with whom they can have the best ruck and use them as their 'main rivals' anyone who dares to threaten their title as 'the nasty guys of Sarf London' automaticaly becomes a target.
  • Options
    We dont have any rivals. Palace hate Brighton and Millwall hate everyone. Charlton have never been a 'rival' club.
  • Options
    Don't think there is a correct answer on this one. Vive la différence.
  • Options

Well that's obvious Gary......isn't that what exactly what I'm pointing out......well I thought I was anyway?
    came across as though you was saying he was wrong and you were right.
  • Options
    Its all personal for everyone really as i dont have any more dislike for Millwall then most teams in the country do but i really enjoy seeing the Gills lose due to the reason i have already said.
  • Options
    No real rivals because everyone loves us! I prefer this to the joke rivalry that is palace and Brighton.
  • Options
    My dad's dad was Millwall, but my dad living in Deptford wavered between Millwall and Charlton until about 12-13 (mid 50's- Bartram era) then more mates came to The Valley and he stayed Charlton. As for me, if i had to chose one to lose to, it would probably be Palace. God that an aweful thought!! Dirty.
  • Options
    Always been Palace for me. The nonsense of the stadium share, Simon Jordan, Dowie, all Palace. Having Millwall as your rival unfortunately just isn't any fun, as everybody claims to hate them. Ask any fan and they'll tell you they can't stand them. Takes the sting out of a rivalry when it's shared all over the country
  • Options
    When I was a teenager the rivals were always Millwall. Their firm were really aggressive back then and it was the only game where you'd never see a red scarf home or away. Embarrassing really. Palace at the time were in the old 4th division and I've always thought of them as a lower level team, supported by 'anoraks'. To be honest I've felt sorry for anyone who has supported them because of my perception of them which has stayed from my youth.
  • Options
    This is a non question.

Millwall
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Weird for me. Half my family are Millwall...Lot of Millwall mates...Still have got alot of Millwall mates so when CHarlton have a bad result I'll get slated and vice versa. So was never no hate there. However as the years go on, I'm hating MIllwall more mainly because the ammount of there muggy chav fans who seem to live of a reputation and automatically think they're something.

Not sure with Palace really, Hate them but pity them at the same time. Think they're something but are just one big joke really with the Ultras and the fact that they think they're 'something' but still never show in SE7.

Thought it was hilarious when West Ham were relegated as did most of the country but apart from that I don't really care about them.

Gillingham are like Welling to me, When we play there take over the place and want to win but apart from that not one bit of dislike and hope they do well.

On a personal level I hate Spurs, Arsenal and Celtic.
  • Options
    Millwall and Crystal Palace hmmmmn, but Alfreton Town annoy the bejaysus outta me (...and Sheffield Wednesdaisy).
  • Options

Millwall.

I think some people are mixing up rivalry and hatred. Whilst there is a fair amount of overlap, it isn't always necessarily the case. On a personal level I regard Millwall as our rivals, when we play one another I want to beat them, I want us to have a higher league position than them, but I don't hate them.

SLL is correct, some of the older generation would watch us one week and them the following week when we were away.

Palace I regard differently. They are traditionally just a lower league team from another part of London. They are not historically our rivals. Due to more modern day developments a dislike has developed between the two clubs, which has created some rivalry but this does match the rivalry with Millwall.
  • Options
    it is palace massively !!
  • Options
    I never bought into the 'hate Palace' line. I was always ambivalent to them, being a bland, non-descript club with a poxy ground in an area with no saving grace or high points to think of.

Millwall, on the other hand..
  • Options
    i dont mind millwall. my dislike is its just a local rivalry. i have millwall friends and thats all they see it as. though they do hate us.

palarse i cant stand. just everything about them. they are a fake club one of which i have never seen the likes off, not even mk dons.

spurs i dislike due to their persistant crowing...the cockerel sums them up...whenever they do well. then they bitch when they dont.
    no real dislike to any other club though i do wish brighton would relise along with their 'ancient' enemy that they are a small club.

oh and welling can go fuck themselfs! scum.
  • Options
    Sparrows Lane Lion is right, Millwall has always been a 'friendly' rivalry with us i think, we want to win bragging rights obviously, but there's no real hatred I don't think, we all have too many Millwall/Charlton friends. Whereas i don't really know too many Palace and I just hate everything about them, their 'ultras', the way their 'firm' has a go at scarfers and thinks they did charlton over, their ground, football...everything! So for me its Palace, Millwall then Gillingham...because you can't help but have some animousity to someone that hates you so much.
  • Options
    Pretty similar there Karim! Sorry mate haha
  • Options
    Dislike both Milwall and Palace, possibly Palace more due to the fact we have played them a few more times in the 13 or so years I have followed Charlton. Just hope it is not long before we are above them both in the league again.
  • Options
    Millwall are our rivals.

I personally hate them in third place behind 1. Arsenal and 2. Chelsea.