Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Parkinson...Was he shafted by Charlton?

Comments

• Options
    League One comparison:

Parkinson P68 Pts118 (1.74 per game)
    Powell P49 Pts 84 (1.71 per game)

• Options
    League One comparison:

Parkinson P68 Pts118 (1.74 per game)
    Powell P49 Pts 84 (1.71 per game)

That is a good comparison NYA. And Parky did it with absolutely nothing to spend. He was a decent enough manager who deserves more respect from Charlton supporters. Good luck to him at Bradford.
  • Options
    that stat above means nothing out of context. parkinson never came close to creating the team spirit, style of play or making the signings that powell has now. don't forget that powell's terrible record last season was with parkinson's squad. this squad now is his.

having said that, i never thought charlton played as badly under parkinson as people have been suggesting here. i remember at the end of our first season in league 1 we beat leeds and were very unlucky to lose to norwich. we outplayed both teams. we were very unlucky not to go up that year.
  • Options
    PP made championship players league one standard

CP is making league one players championship standard
  • Options
    Anybody who says Parkinson stopped the rot is either utterly stupid or suffering from severe memory loss. He presided over the majority of our worst ever winless run and took us from being four points off the bottom and only 2 points away from safety to finishing rock bottom 12 points away from safety.
  • Options
    Groundhog Day
  • Options
    The team was in a hell of a state when he took over - the most unbalanced Charlton side in my memory.
  • Options
    You should do a search to see the posts on the day he got sacked. Most were disappointed to see him go. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it looks like a great decision by the mysterons.
  • Options
    I only opened this thread to ask why this subject has been brought up yet again. I haven't read any responses.

Use the search facility and you'll find plenty of opinions on this one.
  • Options
    Parkinson did a remarkable job whilst he was here, but needed to get promotion the first year. All that happened when he didn't was that the team was broken up and he had to make do and mend with no money. He put together a pragmatic side, it did a job but was never going to win promotion.

I think he was a little hard done by, especially when you consider he put his hand in his own pocket to fund Borrowdale's loan, but - and it's easy with hindsight - I think the decision to remove him and bring Powell in has been the right one.

Powell is a man of Charlton DNA. He knows what's needed, he has a clear vision and the club are once again together from the board through the management and players to the fans and the staff. Powell's been key to that, because he immediately had the fans on side. He didn't have the players last year, but he's brought in players and put together a team that I personally think was beyond Parkinson.

That's to say I think Parky was hard done by, but we wouldn't be where we are now if that decision hadn't been made. And I didn't think it was the right decision at the time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I liked parky as a person but to be honest we shouldve got promoted in 09/10 with the squad we had. consistency isnt parky's strong point.

A midfield of Bailey, Racon, Semedo and Sam shouldve got us promoted.
  • Options
    We lacked a BWP IMO - that would have taken us over the line that first season in league one. And of course, we didn't have Sir Chris lined up when Parky was sacked - Eddie Howe was the target and we nearly got him instead. The big thing for me was that the club was depressed - people always expecting the worse and boos only round the corner. I think the board probably decided that they had to change the dynamic of the place and to be honest there were too many fans that associated Parky with the Pardew era and relegation and were never going to give him a fair crack. The boards approach has been proven right, nobody can deny that but we don't have to be nasty about Parky at the same time and good to see the vast majority are not.

BTW, I would suggest that anybody who wishes not to take part in this thread simp[ly ignores it rather than lecture to the rest of us!
  • Options
    Who cares we ended up with sir chris
  • Options
    Anybody who says Parkinson stopped the rot is either utterly stupid or suffering from severe memory loss. He presided over the majority of our worst ever winless run and took us from being four points off the bottom and only 2 points away from safety to finishing rock bottom 12 points away from safety.
    this with knobs on

• Options
    oh, and one word, Swansea
  • Options
    this with knobs on

Yeah maybe so but you can use facts to prove anything.
  • Options
    more a victim of circumstances, anything else is all ifs and buts
  • Options
    I see people have decided to ignore that fact this thread was started by a troll and have gone for it again. Triffic work CV!

How many months has it been since we even mentioned the blokes name on here but here we go all over again...
  • Options
    CharleyVarrick clearly is Phil Parkinson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hindsight is 20/20 but in this case it shows that the sacking was right
  • Options
    Are all the trolls on this thread just one person? Having an online conversation with (mostly) yourself? You must be a busy, but lonely, person.
  • Options
    Parky done a decent job for us considering the circumstances and was unlucky to be sacked, but things have worked out for the best now.
  • Options
    We should remember that there will always be new people on any forum who may not have discussed certain topics before, and may wish to do so now. Others may feel that the passage of time may help to show events in a new light and want to talk about a subject again.

Re: Parky . Unlucky to be sacked but very lucky to get the job in the first instance.

Great guy, but tactically didn't know what to do to influence a game (think the number of equalisers we conceded), and didn't have a clue how to use one of the most talented players we've ever had in Shelvey.

I always felt that as bad as Pardew was, he would have kept us in the Championship.

I think Parky really did understand what it's like to be Charlton and he did a good job of assembling a squad for the start of last season with the limited resources he had. The on/off takeover saga couldn't have helped - where he was told not to sign certain players because once the takeover happened (which it didn't until much later) he would be able to afford much better.

• Options
    He may have been a 'decent' bloke, but not ever being invited around his house for drinks or having a game of arrows with him in the pub i can't say if he was or not. However having watched the excuse for football his teams produced on the pitch a 'decent' manager for the club he most certainly was not. His team are currently 20th out of 24 in league 2, thats about his standard.
  • Options
    Am I in a minority of 1 in thinking PP got a raw deal at The Valley?

I thought that with the resources he had at his disposal at the time, he was doing a good job.

Granted, the football being served up wasn't a lot of fun to watch, but I believe we'd be playing Championship football already if he'd kept his position.

Hope the fella turns it around at Bradford, I thought he was a decent, genuine bloke who deserved more loyalty from our Board.
    Whilst it cannot be argued that the board were found correct to do what they did it, I think Parkinson done a good job. The problem that he had was that with a new board the likelihood is that they would have their own ideas, it happens too often.

Bit naughty though to come out with all the right noises when they took over and then sack him after one game.

• Options
    I really wonder why this thread has come on now. As Large will testify I am big Parkinson fan, but surely this debate has now been done to death.

Ah! Just read Bournemouth Addicks post
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    i don't think the board expected us to lose 4-2 at home to a side with the worst away record all season, they probably thought that swindon would be the easiest game that you'd want to be playing and that our lack of playing anything resembling football for the previous few weeks was just a blip

hindsight, hey!
  • Options
    I see people have decided to ignore that fact this thread was started by a troll and have gone for it again. Triffic work CV!

How many months has it been since we even mentioned the blokes name on here but here we go all over again...
    Stop stalking me you muppet. Leaving childish digs on every thread I'm on is sooo tiresome!
  • Options
    Football is a heartless business , it is ruthless to the core as no doubt I am sure scp will testify and experience on a daily basis for the remainder of his career

But it ain't about nice its about performance and results just like in any successful business

Hard done by not in my opinion

Fortunate to have the only managers job in football bar the England job that I would eat poo to get

Yes

Thing is it was not a success far from it, it was a time in our history that we were on the down in more ways than one and whoever got it had to go up and if they didn't they were doomed, I said words to that effect on a thread the day he got the job and repeated it just after we never sacked him when we were relegated

I am glad he has gone good luck in his future but it bears no concern to me