Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Phil Parkinson...Was he shafted by Charlton?

Comments

• Options
    Bonkers question, though, Charley, whether you are a ''troll'' or not!

Who cares about Phil phlippin' Parkinson? Slater and Jiminez looked at the job he was doing and said, ''we can find someone who can do better''. And they were right. Luckily, Eddie Howe turned down the job and we ended up with a gem.
  • Options
    He may have been a 'decent' bloke, but not ever being invited around his house for drinks or having a game of arrows with him in the pub i can't say if he was or not. However having watched the excuse for football his teams produced on the pitch a 'decent' manager for the club he most certainly was not. His team are currently 20th out of 24 in league 2, thats about his standard.
    Hear hear all of this decent bloke nonsense, who even knows? Very few on here thats for sure. As for being a decent manager, have you forgotten how the talentless one stood rooted to the spot week after week hands stuck in his pocket fiddling while Charlton burned ? The succession of awful loan players (& please forget this borrowdale nonsense, did he ever actually hand over any money or was this a wonderful piece of PR put out by the club ?) As has been mentioned he took us to a worse position than pardew & the writing was never clearer on the wall then with 2 successive home matches against fellow relegation candidates (Watford & doncaster I think?)where two wins could have made a tremedous difference to our fight he played one striker up front on his own...Deon Burton, a good honest hard working professional but hardly prolific (penalties aside) & most certainly won't get you goals playing upfront on his own. Should parkinson do for Bradford what he did for us & was going to do to Hull until they realised very quickly he wasn't up to the job, will he have reached his level in the Conference ?

• Options
    All the Pardew / Parkinson haters on here.
    Pardew's now fronting a Premiership club that will almost certainly finish in the top half, despite spending next to nothing on his squad.
    Parkinson was/is a natural leader, captaining his club in his playing days, doing wonders for Colchester as a manager and is now turning things around at Bradford, despite not having a pot to piss in.
    Sir Chris, on the other hand, could conceivably have actually got us relegated last season, had he inherited the team in November instead of January.
    Lucky for him his Charlton background, because the likes of Dowie and Reed were shown the exit door with similar records before him.
    Don't get me wrong, I hope Powell goes on to have a long and successful career with Charlton a la Curbishley, but I think he's been given the silver spoon treatment that his two predecessors were never afforded.
    And if that view makes me either a WUM or a Troll, then so be it!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    not again, he's moved on, we've moved! end of!
  • Options
    Dear oh dear.

This is not going to be pretty.
  • Options
    it's what they do at charlton not what they might have done at charlton that matters or what they do elsewhere

and to say pardew didn't receive the silver spoon treatment (we had the biggest budget in the championship) when he bought a load of dross proves you're just guessing at things and you are waffling for the sake of waffling

• Options
    it's what they do at charlton not what they might have done at charlton that matters or what they do elsewhere

and to say pardew didn't receive the silver spoon treatment (we had the biggest budget in the championship) when he bought a load of dross proves you're just guessing at things and you are waffling for the sake of waffling

Dowie blew the money. Not Pardew.
  • Options
    I think he was shafted.

However it was in the end for a superior manager.

Up the Addicks
  • Options

Dowie blew the money. Not Pardew.
    Pardew had a decent amount of money to spend in our first season in the Championship. He was also given plenty of time unlike Dowie.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    so you don't remember varney , mcleod , mcarthorse
    the huge contracts semedo , christiansen and others got
    he spunked a lot of money and had the biggest budget in the champonship when we finished 5th 11th
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Powell's either a managerial revelation, or the luckiest SOB in the history of football.

Along with every Charlton fan, I sincerely hope it's the former.

Time will tell if it's the latter.
  • Options
    Parky wasn't a miracle worker, let's put it that way and i don't think there's too much luck involved in assembling an entirely new squad and getting it so right.
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    If Powell had inherited the team you could say he was lucky but it is 100% clear luck had nothing to do with it seeing as this team is clearly his.
  • Options
    If Powell had inherited the team you could say he was lucky but it is 100% clear luck had nothing to do with it seeing as this team is clearly his.
    I take your point.
    However, he was most fortunate to have a Board behind him who were prepared to both finance and support his judgement, after what was a fairly catastrophic first (half) season in charge.
    He is also extremely fortunate that the team he put together has gelled almost seamlessly, with only the faintest wobble in form, hopefully already behind us.
    Perhaps I am being a little churlish, but it will be interesting to see how both the Board and fans react if and when we go through a tricky patch down the line, as they surely will at some point in the future, be it this season or next.
  • Options
    What 'wobble in form'?

FFS, we've lost two games all season, one to a dodgy deflection and one when we were down to 10 men.
  • Options
    Troll or no troll , wum or not a wum

You talk some absolute bollox Charlie

Your knowledge of football sounds good in the written word but in all honesty I'd wager you actually know nothing about football, Footballers and charlton athletic football club

• Options

Your knowledge of football sounds good in the written word but in all honesty I'd wager you actually know nothing about football, Footballers and charlton athletic football club

I'd hazard a guess I've followed CAFC longer than many of the posters on here have been alive. Serious.
  • Options

I'd hazard a guess I've followed CAFC longer than many of the posters on here have been alive. Serious.
    In that case it must be senile dementia.
  • Options
    I doubt that seeing as I know that there are some old bstds on here

I never said you don't go I said you talk bollox and that you know nothing about football how it works or charlton athletic

I hear people like you in the covered end all the time talking absolute shite

So I know that there are some seriously stupid people go to football matches I just dont normally talk to them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

In that case it must be senile dementia.
    Ha Ha!

Maybe. Maybe not.

Let's come back to this thread in 12 months and reflect, then we'll see who's lost the plot!
  • Options
    I don't think under the name you use now whether you will make 12 months on here
  • Options
    I don't think he was shafted. We had a new board that could see that everything had to be swept away and PP was unfortunately for him part of the disease that need excising. I remember Henry saying at the time that Parkinson was the right man at the wrong time and I thought that true then and still do.
  • Options
    I don't think he was shafted. We had a new board that could see that everything had to be swept away and PP was unfortunately for him part of the disease that need excising. I remember Henry saying at the time that Parkinson was the right man at the wrong time and I thought that true then and still do.
    I don't think he was, to be honest. Decent guy, not going to do anything spectacular anywhere. No good for us then, now or in the future. Main advantage - he wasn't Pardew.
  • Options
    I don't think he was, to be honest. Decent guy, not going to do anything spectacular anywhere. No good for us then, now or in the future. Main advantage - he wasn't Pardew.

Love it ... ABP - (Anyone But Pardew)
  • Options
    Spot on Airman - Parkinson was given a tough job and didn't manage to do anything with it so at best his tenure can be seen as average, at worst, he brought in the worst collection of players ever to wear the shirt and failed to utilise the talent he did have coming through for any benefit to the team. He assembled a squad without a single central midfield 'player' in it, 2 aging centre backs and no goalscorers. What else needs to be said?
  • Options
    You forgot to add what a lovely bloke he is
  • Options
    At the end of the day, what has happened has vindicated the board's actions. It is pointless to speculate whether they and we have been lucky or not, everything that has happened has worked out for the best. I liked Parky and thought he could have been given more of a chance with some finanacial backing, but with the benefit of hindsight, would I want anything to change? - no definitely not and I'm sure nore would anybody else.

I think that a big factor in Parky's demise was the crowd reaction rather than the Swindon result last year. Through years of faliure we had created supporters with absolutely no patience and I think the baord couldn't see how the regime they inherited could break through that. I suspect, the change was designed to have an instant impact though - Powell is loved by the fans and with the team up there it was reasonable to suspect he could galvanise the club.

It happened briefly, but fell away so sharply and what became clear was the players he inherited couldn't play the way he wanted. That suggests Parky was getting the best out of them. Despite all that, the board deserves incredible praise for backing a rookie manager who had not set the world alight the previous season. If we had a different manager in charge than Powell, we probably would have been giving him a hard time but Powell's legendary status bought him the time and what he has achieved so far has been a fantastic managerial achievement.

There was a point when we were still 12-1 to win the league in the summer when as a fan you had a look at the business the club was doing and thought, hang on - this club means business. It took the bookies a while to catch up and some of us filled our boots with those odds. From a position of deep despair, some of us (me included) can't wait for our charge in the Championship next season. But I'll still clap Parky if (and it is a big if) he ever manages a team against us.
  • Options
    Is this thread now closing? Please!!
  • Options
    Sink...