Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Hamer

edited January 2012 in General Charlton
I'm finding it really hard to believe that we have quite a lot of fans moaning about Ben Hamer! he himself hasn't conceded a goal since Yeovil away, and is the goalkeeper for the team with the best defensive record outside the premierleague... get off his back and celabrate how good of a season this has been so far! we're top the league we're top of the league! charlton athletic we're top of the league!!!

Comments

• I wasn't moaning just asking if it was the odd ball he didn't gather cleaning or a bigger problem. Not easy to tell from radio commentary and the match thread
  • he is a bit flappy
  • It's "off" his back - but other than that I agree.

However, unfortunately we've got plenty of helmets "supporting" us that just love to find something to moan about.
  • Not convinced by Hamer, but he is probably not convinced by me and he has the stats to back him up. Great result lets celebrate 10 points gap. Did not realise that today was effectively a catch up game with the massive city of Sheffield.
  • He needs to bully players to get crosses.
  • There is literally nothing to moan about at the moment. Anyone that is moaning should be arrested
  • Couldn't agree more JT!
  • he's pro active rather than reactive

a bit like grobelaar was, likes to be involved, so he's gonna give himself more chance of howlers
    the alternative is to hide on your line and just get beaten regularly by all these great long range shots that used to rain in on us
    to go up you always need a half decent keeper
    well thank goodness ones arrived and is being played
  • He's still inexperienced and will make a few mistakes, but he's improving and we all have to start somewhere. He'll be a good player in a season or two.
  • 3 crucial saves today...2 from just 5 yds out.....yes he flapped at 2 crosses....but we cleared the danger and thats what a solid back 5 is about.....digging in for each other.
  • Sponsored links:

• He's still inexperienced and will make a few mistakes, but he's improving and we all have to start somewhere. He'll be a good player in a season or two.
    Agree with that. And as i keep saying, his distribution (from the games i've seen) is absolutely top notch.

• Goalies need a touch of luck

If he Yates on his line he's easier to beat and predict. His unpredictability is just as confusing for a striker.

Still can't think ofmany goals he's cost us......
  • Having just watched the Green goal I'd say that Hamer wouldn't have made such a mess and pushed it into his own net. Let's say that Ben makes the game more entertaining and like BFR I think he will continue to improve - and will show that in the Championship!
  • Hamer has been made to look better than he is because of our back 4. I don't think he is Championship quality and I'm one for not moaning but that's just my opinion.
    BUT as long as we keep winning I'll let him off for flapping at crosses.
  • I'm not trying to make out that he is an amazing keeper cause if he was he wouldn't be playing in this league, however like swisdom said I personally can't remember one goal this season that has been down to a mistake by him? yes he does flap at crosses but he also pulls off some very good saves! lets just hope he carries on improving with us as we go up the leagues!
  • he's pro active rather than reactive

a bit like grobelaar was, likes to be involved, so he's gonna give himself more chance of howlers
    the alternative is to hide on your line and just get beaten regularly by all these great long range shots that used to rain in on us
    to go up you always need a half decent keeper
    well thank goodness ones arrived and is being played
    Couldn't resist the cheeky Robbie knock eh Oohahh? Stealthy
    Agree with that. And as i keep saying, his distribution (from the games i've seen) is absolutely top notch.

Agree with both of those and also oohaah's Grobbelaar comparison. He's almost 10 years off his peak as a keeper so has plenty of time to develop, not that he's not good enough at present anyway.

At least he's prepared to get off his line and challenge for the ball - probably needs to beef up a bit though.
  • Hamer is quality.
  • Can't see what all the fuss is about. Ok so he flaps at SOME crosses? If we can keep hold of him he will be a great keeper for us.
  • I'll agree with ooh ahh that he is half decent, probably on a par with Elliott
  • Sponsored links:

• I had to laugh at some of you moaners out there - do we want Ben Hamer to adopt Deano Kiely's "rooted at the goal-line" stance and NEVER come out to collect crosses? If Ben did that we would be elevating him to hero status. Ben dares and sometimes it does not come off - what the heck is all the fuss out there - shaddup and sit down, won't youses!!
  • I think Hamer is being made to look better by our back 4 - who lets face it, have been superb, both individually and as a team. He isn't a bad keeper but I for one would not be comfortable with him as our number 1 next year. If we're in the champ, we need a better keeper than him IMO. I think having him as a number 2 would be ok and bring in a solid number 1 to replace Sullivan, who deserves to be a league 1 number 1 for someone.
  • His clean sheet throughout the whole of January puts him in line for the divisional player of the month award. We know POTM always unsettles the recipient and results in a loss of form when it's a Charlton player, so it would obviously be sensible to drop the hopeless flapper now.
  • I'm not a huge fan of Hamer but he's more than good enough for this division.

If we go up though I reckon we should get a new keeper.
  • I'm in agreement with our goalkeeping and crowd attendance guru, OohAah.

He only deals in facts.
  • Ermmmmmmmm has he not kept 3 clean sheets against 3 tough sides over the past 2 weeks .......can not believe anyone would question his ability.
    He will get better as well
  • Let's not forget his kicking is absolutely top notch too - most prem keepers would kill to deliver a ball like he can
  • 4 including Brentford.
  • Nothing to worry about,Might be a bit flappy at times.But would not swap him for some one like .ie.De gea of man,u........
  • at least he comes from for crosses. Not really seen since Dean Kiely.

He is a good young keeper who will improve with age.