Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Hamer

Comments

• Options
    Ben is a top keeper and most importantly he gets on well with his fellow defenders. He's never afraid to take responsibility and his distribution is very good
  • Options
    As Nelson said is his book ''Left Foot Forward'' said, ''better to be a lucky player than a great player''. Has dropped a couple, flapped at a few, but not conceeded many. When you add in the couple of big deflections you have to say he is doing really well. He has also pulled off some great saves and apparently made another great one today. Let sleeping dogs lie.
  • Options
    at least he comes from for crosses. Not really seen since Dean Kiely.

He is a good young keeper who will improve with age.

Deano wasn't exactly great on crosses
  • Options
    19 goals conceded in 20 odd games how bloody picky are some of you ffs.

Dean kiely couldn't kick great was shocking at catching Charlton legend. Give it a rest
  • Options
    At this moment I cannot think of many shut outs where I wouldn't expect a decent top half keeper to have held out to be honest, and a few games where he's got away with it. JT's right there is nothing to moan about, but calling it as I see it I see the great defensive record as attributable to the 4 heroes in front of Hamer. Football's about a bit more than gawking dumbly at stats.
  • Options
    He's still inexperienced and will make a few mistakes, but he's improving and we all have to start somewhere. He'll be a good player in a season or two.
    Agree with that. And as i keep saying, his distribution (from the games i've seen) is absolutely top notch.

Powell was qouted as saying that he thinks Hamer's distribution is excellent and as team boss, decision maker, leader and generally nice bloke, i'm inclined to believe anything he says. 'Hamer for England', unless it would interrupt his playing for us, in which case, 'Hamer for The Isles of Scilly'.
  • Options
    Did anyone see De Gea tonight? And some think we have a problem!! Get a reality check please.
  • Options
    Better than Elliot.... sorry, (our) 'Robbie'
  • Options
    We've got a terrific back 5. Which includes Hamer.

The defensive record speaks for itself.
  • Options
    the record speaks for itself, but we all know Hamer flaps at way too many crosses. He is certainly a good keeper and getting better, I'm not worried about him at all, but I wouldn't be that comfortable going into a championship season with Hamer and Sullivan as our 2 keepers
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hamer flaps at crosses but so does literally every other keeper in the world in the history of everything forever. Cech does it, Buffon does it, Casillas does it. Sometimes they catch and sometimes they flap and it's hilarious until it's happening to your keeper. That's why crosses are so threatening in football, because it's exceptionally difficult to gauge a cross, especially when under pressure. The important thing is that your keeper doesn't flap at EVERY cross, and Ben catches his fair share. I'm sure we all remember how after a shaky start against Hudds he was catching everything that came at him, beating Jon bloody Parkin over and over. He needs to work on his punching a bit but when your keeper's biggest issue is flapping at crosses then you're looking at a good keeper. I'd be happy with him in goal next year. Though maybe he could stop acting up so much as it makes me a little nervous..
  • Options
    I had a dream last night that we sold him to QPR.....convinced when I woke up that he had gone......
  • Options
    I always have this debate with my dad and his friend when we see a game. I reckon Hamer is better than Elliot, or at the very least will be at the same stage in his career, they both don't rate Hamer in the slightest. They always focus on the crosses he misses and overlook the ones he catches. He goes for most of them, which shows confidence and leadership (and the defence clearly trusts his judgement) and even if he does miss a few, which keeper doesn't? At least he tries.
  • Options
    Some of you need to calm down, no need to get so angry with other people's opinions. I've said before when a ball comes into the box he doesn't fill me with confidence however that is probably my only criticism of the guy, think he has been good throughout and hopefully can progress given he is still extremely young for a keeper.
  • Options
    Hamer saves shots that Elliot wouldn't have even got near because of his agility and Athletisism

Can't believe he is even being questioned

I don't hear the sniping at any outfield player who mis places a pass or misses a tackle

Because it would be futile

Back Ben hamer best keeper at the club
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    at least he comes from for crosses. Not really seen since Dean Kiely.

He is a good young keeper who will improve with age.

Deano wasn't exactly great on crosses
    Spot on Off-it. Dean Kiely was a far better shot stopper imo; so in those words fired my way last week Crusty 54 GET REAL!

As for Hamer he's young learning all the time and an integral part of our excellent defence.
  • Options
    Well this seems to be quite a touchy subject as we like to get behind the whole team 100%. But can only speak as I see and he does fill me with fear on occasions when balls played into the box. Yes his other aspects are very good and it's only constructive criticism on my part. If say Solly or Wiggings missed one in five of every tackle and the boys behind had to mop up would we hold them in the high regard that we do? First to appreciate this is Div 3 and were having an exceptional season and because we are such passionate Charlton supporters we are even happy when BWP doesn't score in a hatful of games ..... But we're doing what we set out to and having a stunning season so must be a positive that can see so few negatives .....
  • Options
    Yet another thread on Hamer, just a week after the last one.

We have some posters on here who will ignore 90 minutes of very capable performance by Hamer, yet choose to focus on the one moment when he might have done better.

Yes, one effin moment!

People, why not focus on what he does well, for crying out loud.........????
  • Options
    Sorry but this guy has got to be held accountable! How many games can we allow every shot on target end up in the back of the net. That's a recipe for relegation!!! The team played well today but were undermined by Hamer. The reluctance to leave his line for the 3rd goal was nothing short of embarrassing,
    There must be a loanee available who could provide a more reliable last line of defence???
  • Options
    Could you name this loanee then please?

Please also remember that prior to today he kept clean sheets in the last four games making some great saves in the process
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I said "there must be" ....followed by question marks. that not clear enough for you?
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Could you name this loanee then please?

Please also remember that prior to today he kept clean sheets in the last four games making some great saves in the process

Must admit I don't remember any of these saves. Certainly none against Wigan and the last goal he let in before that was his fault!

He's certainly not above criticism, anyway.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Butland is only on a short-term loan at Barnsley.

Basic goalkeeping for the third goal really cost us at least a point.
  • Options
    Why is it that there are calls for him to be dropped every time we lose?

Yet when he keeps a clean sheet it's the defence who did it. He was at fault but clearly told the defender to deal with it - and whoever it was didn't. Both at fault.

He didn't have a great game but he's young for a goalie and still better than any other options we have. People really ought to lay off him and consider it was just one of those games.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Why is it that there are calls for him to be dropped every time we lose?

Yet when he keeps a clean sheet it's the defence who did it. He was at fault but clearly told the defender to deal with it - and whoever it was didn't. Both at fault.

He didn't have a great game but he's young for a goalie and still better than any other options we have. People really ought to lay off him and consider it was just one of those games.

This!
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

I said "there must be" ....followed by question marks. that not clear enough for you?

But that's the point isn't it. It's no good just claiming wistfully that there must be a better player out there. You've got to find him. And be able to afford him. And he has to want to join. Buffon on loan would do a job I'm sure, but it's not realistic. We hadn't conceded in 4 games before today, I hardly think every shot on target goes in.

Someone mentioned Butland earlier in the thread. I've been watching him for Barnsley and he doesn't look like much use to me. Hesitant coming for crosses, no distribution and not a big presence at the back. Good shot stopper but not much else. He's also prone to the comedy gaffe same as every keeper at this level
  • Options
    We could always try to bring in the England goalie on loan as he doesn't make mistakes
  • Options
    Personally don't have much confidence in him, yes we kept 4 clean sheets but I can't remember coming away saying he kept us in it. Any long range shot seems to fly past him

• Options
    I think he is a big improvement on Elliott in that respect though. The consensus seems to be that Kenny had a good game but he was beaten by a long range volley... would we be as forgiving if it was Hamer?
  • Options
    I think the lad was close to outstanding for us in his previous 5 appearances. Hands up that he screwed up on the 3rd goal yesterday but he's no doubt got ability. Really hope his confidence isn't shot after the Leeds game.