Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Hamer

Comments

• Options
    Just give him a red nose and have done with it. Every team in this league now shoot on sight as they know he is a weak link. If Alnwick is no better than why sign him? He needs serious competition to stop his posing and flapping.
  • Options
    Why not look at Jacko's contribution for the 3rd goal?
  • Options
    Dervite got outmuscled by Blackstock for that goal. The first and third goals would not have happened if either Cort and Wood were playing.
  • Options

Why not look at Jacko's contribution for the 3rd goal?

Jacko's marking was soft and allowed him to score.
  • Options
    3rd goal was down to poor defending.

But then again, we all know the CL rule that an individual scapegoat must be found if we lose.

Hamer is a fine keeper and an important part of the side on and off the field. Isn't it a shame that an old thread from January 2012 wasn't bumped up last week after he had helped us to four consecutive clean sheets...
  • Options
    Hamer is the new Lisbie or Kishishev amongst that element of our support who need a scapegoat.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Hamer is the new Lisbie or Kishishev amongst that element of our support who need a scapegoat.

Thought they blamed Pritch ?

• Options

LenGlover said:

Yes him too!
  • Options
    Hamer has the goalkeeper's dilemma that when he makes saves, keeps clean sheets etc, then he's just doing his job. Soon as a goal goes in, he gets the blame almost regardless of what the defence did or didn't do. Which is not to say he doesn't make mistakes, but keepers get much more obviously punished for errors that other players just don't.
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Can't when he is not on the pitch, but then again you never know ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Free kick and penalty were decent strikes/shouldn't have been given, first goal was poor from Wilson and third should have been dealt with by the defence first of all, so I'm not entirely sure how dropping Hamer would change anything
  • Options
    Lets just destroy any confidence Ben Hamer has left, add Wilson,Pritchard we could be on a roll, what does it acually achieve?
  • Options
    C Block you feeling better today....me old mate Hamer was at it again yesterday.
  • Options
    Not his finest hour yesterday but of late he has been very good. Move on to next game Ben.
  • Options
    For a bloke who is supposedly so great at his job we don't half have a load of threads on him.

No point getting on his back as we don't have a replacement nor the funds to buy or loan one

Just hope he stays awake at QPR as he could be busy
  • Options
    I'm a massive fan of Hamer, and will defend him if needed......but that 3rd goal? If anyone says that was Jacko's fault they are very wrong, the ball was looping within the 6 yard box, so automatically the keeper should be punching/claiming. If it was whipped in with pace then yes, there would be a quiestion over Jacko's defending, but at that slow pace it gave Hamer a chance to do something.

The other goals weren't his fault, the 1st was Lawrie not marking, and that freekick was tremendous. No stopping that!
  • Options
    I think that's half the reason Hamer comes in for some much stick. He often does make an attempt to save a goal, he just stands there and watches it. Now I suspect this is because he knows his own abilities and knows he wouldn't get to it, but he needs to learn to try. He reminds me of Lisbie who walked around with his hands on his hips, it wasn't that he needed to run all the time, he just needed to look like he was alert and hands on hips does not suggest alert to fans.
  • Options
    Is it just me who thinks that the standard of goalkeeping in general has dropped in recent years. I don't think recent England keepers have been anywhere near as good as Banks, Shilton or Clemence. On a Charlton level, since Deano and Sasa (at his best) I don't recall any keeper being as good as Nicky Johns, Jeff Wood or Bob Bolder. We have been blessed with some fantastic keepers over the years, but I haven't rated the recent crop as being anywhere near as good.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I have said on the player's ratings thread that it feels to me that it is feast or famine with Ben.

Ironically in my opinion his most consistent spell for us last season coincided with being dropped for David Button.For example away at Brighton which was his second game back was one of the best displays I have ever seen by a Charlton Keeper. Following this game I would even suggest that he would have been an outside bet for an England squad especially if goalies like Fraser Forster and John Ruddy are now being used.

I wouldn't suggest replacing him for the QPR game because Saturday is probably a blip , but I hope Ben Alnwick is being considered as a serious contender for the gloves because I think it is the competition that brings out the best in Hamer and I never saw Sullivan as being a serious rival to him although Pope could be given time.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I have said on the player's ratings thread that it feels to me that it is feast or famine with Ben.

Ironically in my opinion his most consistent spell for us last season coincided with being dropped for David Button.For example away at Brighton which was his second game back was one of the best displays I have ever seen by a Charlton Keeper. Following this game I would even suggest that he would have been an outside bet for an England squad especially if goalies like Fraser Forster and John Ruddy are now being used.

I wouldn't suggest replacing him for the QPR game because Saturday is probably a blip , but I hope Ben Alnwick is being considered as a serious contender for the gloves because I think it is the competition that brings out the best in Hamer and I never saw Sullivan as being a serious rival to him although Pope could be given time.

Fraser Forster in particular, is an infinitely better 'keeper than Hamer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Richard J said:

Yes!

• Options

Richard J said:

He was playing in League One a couple of years back and is a similar age to Hamer. It doesn't take a lot for English keepers to rise to contention these days.

Keep in mind that Forster gets a lot more TV exposure by playing Champions League football for Celtic. I'm sure people would have been raving about Hamer in a similar way if Charlton were playing a big game and Hamer happened to have a blinder.

Getting a move to Celtic is like winning the lottery for a player in Championship/League One, as you don't have to be that good but you get the chance to have people fall over themselves about you if you pull it off in the right matches.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    cafctom said:

Richard J said:

He was playing in League One a couple of years back and is a similar age to Hamer. It doesn't take a lot for English keepers to rise to contention these days.

Keep in mind that Forster gets a lot more TV exposure by playing Champions League football for Celtic. I'm sure people would have been raving about Hamer in a similar way if Charlton were playing a big game and Hamer happened to have a blinder.

Getting a move to Celtic is like winning the lottery for a player in Championship/League One, as you don't have to be that good but you get the chance to have people fall over themselves about you if you pull it off in the right matches.
    True, but he's still a lot better than Hamer. I remember when we played Norwich at home, we were all over them but couldn't score solely because of this man. Norwich then scored in the last minute to seal promotion, but completely against the run of play. They only won it because of Forster. And he's had plenty of games like that. Class act.

Hamer will never ever play for England. Forster though, might.
  • Options
    edited November 2013

cafctom said:

Richard J said:

True, but he's still a lot better than Hamer. I remember when we played Norwich at home, we were all over them but couldn't score solely because of this man. Norwich then scored in the last minute to seal promotion, but completely against the run of play. They only won it because of Forster. And he's had plenty of games like that. Class act.

Brighton fans probably have similar memories of Hamer from last season. Has Forster really had that many amazing games? He only gets truly tested in the Champions League where he is much more likely to be considered the hero for making saves rather than the villian for letting in a goal or two.

You don't know that Hamer won't play for England. All it takes is for him to get a Premier League move, even if it is to a smaller club like Hull or a newly promoted side. There are only a handful of English keepers who start regularly in the top flight.

I'm sure people were surprised about Forster playing in the Champions League when he was playing for the likes of Norwich and Bristol Rovers a couple of years back.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

You don't know that Hamer won't play for England. All it takes is for him to get a Premier League move, even if it is to a smaller club like Hull or a newly promoted side. There are only a handful of English keepers who start regularly in the top flight.

Has Hamer played for England at any level? Or even been called up to a squad? I'd be stunned if he ever plays for the national team.

• Options
    Rizzo said:

cafctom said:

Has Hamer played for England at any level? Or even been called up to a squad? I'd be stunned if he ever plays for the national team.

Not that I'm aware of, but then again neither did Rickie Lambert or Chris Powell when they got their first call ups.

English goalkeepers playing first team football are a rarity in the Premiership.

If I was a betting man, I'd say he probably won't get an England call up in his day but I just don't think it is as definite as some are making out. He probably has the best chance of anyone in our side besides maybe Cousins.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Richard J said:

Brighton fans probably have similar memories of Hamer from last season. Has Forster really had that many amazing games? He only gets truly tested in the Champions League where he is much more likely to be considered the hero for making saves rather than the villian for letting in a goal or two.

I'm sure people were surprised about Forster playing in the Champions League when he was playing for the likes of Norwich and Bristol Rovers a couple of years back.
    Without being able to know Hamer won't play for England.... I know.

If he does, I'll be sure to revisit this thread, apologise for doubting him and commend you on your appraisal.

I'm not saying Hamer's a bad 'keeper. But he is absolutely not international standard. Not a single chance.
  • Options
    cafctom - I respect your admiration of Hamer, we all have players that we disagree on.

In my opinion, he lacks concentration, is prone to let shots in from range, parries the ball into dangerous areas, gets caught in no mans land, and is susceptible to the high ball.

What would you say are his strengths?

By the way, I wouldnt advocate changing as dont think we have better reserve options, and it didnt work last season.
  • Options
    Hello Chippy mate, yep better now.
  • Options
    He won't ever play for England? Fuck it - he might as well retire then. And we should get shot too. We should be looking to sign Joe Hart.....

We are a championship side so I wouldn't expect us to be on Woy's Waydar just now!

This is boring now - every game he doesn't play like Lev Yashin he's suddenly a liability!