Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tranmere v. Charlton 1-1 Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Nothing wrong with a point away from home.

As we are trying to attract youngsters to the forum I shall simply say: Yo Blud take a chill pill yeah
  • Options
    Not at the game today so can't and wont comment on the result, but would like to add the following:

although big Yann works his socks off & plays some very good football, it is obvious that his partnership with BWP is just not working - neither have scored from open play since late November and Kermy has just one since then, being the free-kick away at Yeovil on Boxing Day. Didn't think i'd ever write this, but perhaps its time to bring back Hayes for Kermy............his partnership with BWP at the start of the season brought goals and perhaps we will not lump it forward for flick-ons but play it along the floor where BWP is best.

I'm now starting to get concerned that the front 2 have only scored 1 goal between them in 3 months and although I'm still convinced we will go up with almost 100 points and well clear of third place , it is a worry that the strikers have dried up completely..................not a goal here or there - just Nothing. Even the replacements in Haynes & Clarke (albeit cameo roles) have not found the net and something, somewhere is going wrong. I was brought up with the likes of Killer, Flash, etc.........and usually if you have a top class striker you expect them to grab a goal occaisonly.

Now to Rochdale on tuesday. I would be nice, as runnaway leaders playing a bottom 4 side at home, to expect a bit of dominance and a few goals..........not expecting 4 or 5 but a comfortable 2 or 3 nil shouldn't be beyond us !
  • Options
    Not at the game today so can't and wont comment on the result, but would like to add the following:

although big Yann works his socks off & plays some very good football, it is obvious that his partnership with BWP is just not working - neither have scored from open play since late November and Kermy has just one since then, being the free-kick away at Yeovil on Boxing Day. Didn't think i'd ever write this, but perhaps its time to bring back Hayes for Kermy............his partnership with BWP at the start of the season brought goals and perhaps we will not lump it forward for flick-ons but play it along the floor where BWP is best.

I'm now starting to get concerned that the front 2 have only scored 1 goal between them in 3 months and although I'm still convinced we will go up with almost 100 points and well clear of third place , it is a worry that the strikers have dried up completely..................not a goal here or there - just Nothing. Even the replacements in Haynes & Clarke (albeit cameo roles) have not found the net and something, somewhere is going wrong. I was brought up with the likes of Killer, Flash, etc.........and usually if you have a top class striker you expect them to grab a goal occaisonly.

Now to Rochdale on tuesday. I would be nice, as runnaway leaders playing a bottom 4 side at home, to expect a bit of dominance and a few goals..........not expecting 4 or 5 but a comfortable 2 or 3 nil shouldn't be beyond us !
    good post
  • Options
    I'm pretty happy with that. 3 points on Tuesday and we are well away.
  • Options
    edited February 2012

good post

Agreed. Golfie sums up the optimism I think most of us share (I'm also convinced 100 pts is still on the cards) - but he also expresses a nagging and growing concern many are feeling ,too. It's not going to derail our promotion. But you'd hope Powell can and will address it.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with a point away from home.

As we are trying to attract youngsters to the forum I shall simply say: Yo Blud take a chill pill yeah
    Know wot you mean bruv! Peeps need to stop getting vexed ya hear.

• Options
    Bruva Glova u shd no betr blud
  • Options
    lol
  • Options
    first time I am starting to worry about our strikers, I would like to see Hayes back in the
  • Options
    Bruva Glova u shd no betr blud
    Alright Ray , whats the half time odds? ;-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have no worries about our strikers coming good again; our league position says it all and, in terms of promotion, it can only improved when the 2 Sheffield teams meet. Because we're the team to beat no team is going to make it easy for us so we need to stay focussed, but SCP is unlikely to let ego's take over. Can't wait for Tuesday. COYR's
  • Options

This.

• Options
    Trouble with Hayes is he's not really an impact player off the bench. He really needs to start but does he justify that? he's a very unselfish player but he doesn't have the physical prescence of Kermo.

Surprised Waggy didn't get on. Green's delivery, when he is on song, is vital but it seems from the radio that was poor and when that is the case he offers little else IMHO.

Just shows how vital jackson is. Not just his free kicks but his passing is very important to this side.

Difficult decisions for CP. We're not losing but we're not playing fantastically well either. Stick or twist?
  • Options
    I have no worries about our strikers coming good again; our league position says it all and, in terms of promotion, it can only improved when the 2 Sheffield teams meet. Because we're the team to beat no team is going to make it easy for us so we need to stay focussed, but SCP is unlikely to let ego's take over. Can't wait for Tuesday. COYR's
    U bin on BruvGlov's chill pills?

• Options
    Golfaddick you hit the nail on the head!

I have spent the last 25 minutes working out stats to back up that point you have made. IMO we really need to bring the Hayes and BWP partnership back, not only it gives us a different option but I also think that it will do BWP's confidence the world of good as he has said himself how he loved playing with Hayes. It will also show BWP that Powell is prepared to try the old partnership in order to get him scoring again.

Just imagine us with our strikers on form and scoring regularly again soon, we've been picking up the points and grinding out the wins without them scoring. When they start again I can see us playing like we were at the start of the season and dominating teams in the run-in.

We'll get promotion but it may be a little easier to do with the change of Hayes coming back. But, whether that happens or not.. In SCP we trust.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    6 points is a comfortable gap, we'll win the title. 2 home games coming up, 6 points.
  • Options
    hardest tackle pickled onion goes to... kermit! dip your hand in there my son, you deserve it.

• Options
    We are not convincing at the moment but there is inherent quality right throughout the team which is getting us past the vast majority of dross in this division. If JJ is fit he will of course return but the only change I want to see is Waggy starting in place of Green who I think is well off the pace at the moment. Without Haynes I don't see we have any impact off the bench. A good performance is essential on Tuesday to settle everyone down for the final push.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    If 6 points lead can be 12 points by next Saturday night, that's a hell of a psychological advantage.

But first we have to do the business ourselves.
  • Options
    If 6 points lead can be 12 points by next Saturday night, that's a hell of a psychological advantage.

I think the word ''psychological'' is superfluous, Oggy!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Agreed!
  • Options

This.

This
  • Options
    I'm utterly convinced and have been for weeks, that we are going to smash Stevenage.

We'll beat Rochdale on Tuesday, probably by the odd goal in a stuttering performance.
  • Options
    Just got back from the game, it's interesting how different the radio can portray performances!
    We started off poor and invited pressure onto us from Tranmere and their goal was well deserved. Playing Pritchard wide right just didn't work as he kept drifting infield leaving them 2 on 1 against Solly. Up until that point, our only outlet for attack was through the head of Kermorgant, but he and Haynes aren't quite on the same page yet.
    After the goal we got the ball down and started to play some football and finished the half well. Stephens dropped just in front of the back four and looked good spraying the ball around.
    Second half was much better. We seemed to play more of a 4-3-3 (intentionally or not) with Pritchard tucking in and Green playing as more of left wing forward and Kermorgant drifting our wide right, which gave Solly and Wiggins more of a licence to bomb forward. The equaliser was well and truly deserved and we only really looked like winning it after that. Kermorgant had a few chances late on to win but nothing clear cut. Overall I'd say poor first half, good second half.
    I'd have to disagree with the radio commentary, I thought Danny Green was supurb today. He looked very dangerous and combined well with Wiggins. Yes, his distribution was poor at times today especially from corners but he looked by far the most likely player to score. The other player who shone out was Chris Solly. I didn't jump on the Solly bandwagon before and thought he was slightly overrated, but today he proved me wrong. What a great player we have on our hands.
    Also, the 400 or Charlton fans didn't stop singing all afternoon. Great vocal support today.
  • Options
    Just got back from the game, it's interesting how different the radio can portray performances!
    We started off poor and invited pressure onto us from Tranmere and their goal was well deserved. Playing Pritchard wide right just didn't work as he kept drifting infield leaving them 2 on 1 against Solly. Up until that point, our only outlet for attack was through the head of Kermorgant, but he and Haynes aren't quite on the same page yet.
    After the goal we got the ball down and started to play some football and finished the half well. Stephens dropped just in front of the back four and looked good spraying the ball around.
    Second half was much better. We seemed to play more of a 4-3-3 (intentionally or not) with Pritchard tucking in and Green playing as more of left wing forward and Kermorgant drifting our wide right, which gave Solly and Wiggins more of a licence to bomb forward. The equaliser was well and truly deserved and we only really looked like winning it after that. Kermorgant had a few chances late on to win but nothing clear cut. Overall I'd say poor first half, good second half.
    I'd have to disagree with the radio commentary, I thought Danny Green was supurb today. He looked very dangerous and combined well with Wiggins. Yes, his distribution was poor at times today especially from corners but he looked by far the most likely player to score. The other player who shone out was Chris Solly. I didn't jump on the Solly bandwagon before and thought he was slightly overrated, but today he proved me wrong. What a great player we have on our hands.
    Also, the 400 or Charlton fans didn't stop singing all afternoon. Great vocal support today.
    Thanks for this
  • Options
    Good point, against a manager who has had it over us.

Tempted by the idea of Hayes and BWP being brought back together
    This.

Can't knock Yann at all, he's been magnificent but he's not a goal scorer like BWP. Hayes may not be as good as Yann but I think he brings more out of BWP with his link up play.

• Options
    I'm utterly convinced and have been for weeks, that we are going to smash Stevenage.

We'll beat Rochdale on Tuesday, probably by the odd goal in a stuttering performance.
    Get the feeling the players feel like they owe one to Stevenage for the carry on at their place

• Options
    Good report NW Addick!
  • Options
    Cheers NWA. I'm glad to hear that Green was good. He's been concerning me lately.
  • Options
    Must be a first having Psychological and Superfluous used in the same thread.