Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tranmere v. Charlton 1-1 Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Must be a first having Psychological and Superfluous used in the same thread.
    we's not all linguistically challenged ere bro .. some of us can even spell
  • Options
    we's not all linguistically challenged ere bro .. some of us can even spell
    Respect.

• Options
    Well we all agree the "Strikers " are miss firing is it time to enter the loan market bearing in mind that Haynes will be out for 4-6 weeks believe hes had hamstring problems before.
    But I told you all about the brp who appears to be a shadow of the goalscorer we once had.
  • Options
    Hayes needs to start again. Sorry Yann but the team looks for you to much as I have said in the past, not his fault but we need to start playing our game again on the floor.
  • Options
    I blame the parents.

• Options
    sheff utd will win the league
    Some people on here are getting way too panicky.
    Or just looking for a rise.

Easy giggles on here..

• Options
    I thought today would be a tough game so overall a decent enough point. True that Sheff U are edging a bit closer but the key is the gap over 3rd place. We now have an 11pt lead over the massive with 2 games in hand and 13pts over Huddersfield. Onwards to Tuesday Night against Rochdale.
  • Options
    I would have Hayes and BWP up top Tuesday. We are all talking about BWP being poor recently but Kermorgant has hardly been impressive recently.

Decent result though against our bogey team in this league. Hopefully, we will never have to go to Tranmere ever again!!!

Hamer sounded like he had a good game. BWP seemed to be doing alright when he came on, Green sounded like he didn't have a stinker along with Pritchard.

Back four sounded a bit shakey at times.

If I was Powell, I would've brought on Waggy because it sounded as if they were tiring with 15/20 minutes to go... but I am not Powell so what do I know.
  • Options
    Just back from the game....Golfie's post and that of NWAddick sum it up for me. I am slightly concerned that after some under par performances we have had lived a charmed life but may be waiting for a reality check....but on the other hand, BWP's goal drought can't last for ever and with Dale S in the team, I think that we are likely to create more chances in open play. Sheff U are going like a steam train, and it would be very disappointing to let them overhaul us for the title, but on the other hand it would take a serious meltdown for us not to get automatic promotion now, and that is something that all of us would have taken without hesitation back in August.

In the first half we were disjointed and pretty hopeless. In the second we started playing a bit more football and hoofing it up to Big Yann (who was not his normal dominant self in the air - but much credit for that must go to Tranmere who had a really good go all day) a bit less. However, we seemed to lack that cutting edge....the sort of cutting edge that you get from having forwards that score goals! Although it is good to have goals from all over the pitch, we need strikers that are going to be in and around the box and have the lion's share of chances produced. Too often ours were out-wide or too deep (although this was often because they were doing their bit defensively) and when they were on the ball, it was clear that they are lacking confidence. It was good to see Stephens in the holding role - he does this well, but I worry that Bradley Pritchard is a bit lightweight (though his effort cannot be faulted). Some of our set piece deliveries (particularly from Green) were woeful today, and we had enough chances to see Tranmere off, although they had their chances too, and it was only some stalwart tackling and some great saves from Hamer that stopped us conceding more. We also missed JJ so much today; it just shows what he brings to the team.

It's not like we need a completely new approach; we just need to think hard about how to bring our forwards into the game and give them chances. I suppose we just need to be patient!
  • Options
    We might be top of the league but that was not a display by champions. The defense was slow, except for Solly, our midfield was disjointed and our attack non existent. The exceptions were Hamer, Solly and Pritchard who played well. I have to disagree about Green, OK he gets the ball, runs with it and then either mispasses it or ignores other players and has a poor shot, we need Wiggy back. The attack just doesn't function, it improved when BWP came on but Kermorgant's flick ones just don't work, we need a different plan.

1-1 is a reasonable result at Tranmere but we really do need some improvement.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    God help us if Taylor/morrision get injured.
    Why? We've got Leon Cort and Gary Doherty at a push. I'd trust either of them to do a job.
  • Options
    Why? We've got Leon Cort and Gary Doherty at a push. I'd trust either of them to do a job.
    !!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    i think that Doherty could do a job for us with a run of games behind him but he does not have them and i would not expect him to be anything other than a slow moving tanker nailed to the floor if he came in now.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    First half we were poor and couldn't keep the ball for long enough to get into their final third. green didn't appear to do much on the left and when he did try a trick or long pass he lost possession. Hamer made a fantastic double save on his line at 0-0 and kept us in the game. in the second he again saved us at 1-1. the defence were solid for most of the match but for their goal went to sleep. their forward ran from his goal area all the way through and had his shot blocked. it came to edge of the box and a fancy overhead kick launched it back into our box and they score, when there appeared to be no pressure at all. solly had a good game. kermy was ok, but he and bradley had chances and produced average headers on goal (over the top).

It was strange that when we scored we only had ten men on the pitch for the few minutes running up to it and that was when we seemed to place them under the most pressure and kept pushing them further back until we had them on the rack and scored.

all in all a point gained and i for one was soooo pleased to hear the final whistle as i don't think i've been as cold at a game since Hartlepool.

MOM Hamer.

Final point. The fans today were great. Aspecial mention to the drummer boy, whoever he/she is. They banged that drum all afternoon (probably to keep warm) and the fans kepton singing and never wavered even after going behind. The momentum building up to morro's goal was fantastic 'chrissy powell's red army' went on for about 10 mins until we scored. great effort from all who were there. hope you all had a safe journey home.

One aim.
  • Options
    We might be top of the league but that was not a display by champions. The defense was slow, except for Solly, our midfield was disjointed and our attack non existent. The exceptions were Hamer, Solly and Pritchard who played well. I have to disagree about Green, OK he gets the ball, runs with it and then either mispasses it or ignores other players and has a poor shot, we need Wiggy back. The attack just doesn't function, it improved when BWP came on but Kermorgant's flick ones just don't work, we need a different plan.

1-1 is a reasonable result at Tranmere but we really do need some improvement.
    I assume you mean Waggy. I agree something needs to be done and this could wotk with a reversion to how we started the season with BWP, Hayes and Wagstaff playing together.
  • Options
    !!!!
    Doherty ? WTF !
  • Options
    For those who weren't there here's something hastily put together.
    http://youtu.be/aIUAtVlJGeE
  • Options
    Bit out of the blue this, but if Haynes had gone down in the box like the commentators were saying he should have, who would you have had take the pen? Hollands for me. I reckon Dale and Green would both be quite interested in skying it and Kermorgant isn't going anywhere near a pen for some time. I just had a thought and realised that without Jackson I really wouldn't trust many of them with it. Good thing Waahdnesday are keeping us clear of the Playoffs
  • Options
    Nice work Mr Stumps.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Didn't think that Yann had a good game today. I know there are many people who think he can do no wrong but I really don't think he is contributing much (apart from winning that penalty v MKD) at the moment. He wins headers against some teams (not really today) but they don't lead to anything, he's not fulfilling one of the primary objectives of a striker (to score goals), he doesn't hold the ball up particularly, doesn't combine effectively with any of his strike partners. The partnership with Haynes today, for example, just never got going - though Haynes's contribution was disappointing, to say the least - and while we looked better when BWP came on, that was more to do with BWP than Kermogant. I'm sure that part of the problem is that the forwards get minimal service from their team mates. Given that we have someone who is so good in the air, we should be aiming to get decent crosses into the box but just don't seem able to provide them. Green doesn't cross the ball half as much as he should (perhaps because he keeps heading infield looking to let fly from 30 yards, instead of getting down the line), Wiggins (a sublime crosser of the ball) seems to have given up making those marauding runs of his to the byline, Jackson will feed the ball to BWP's feet but rarely crosses from the left, Hollands is too often snuffed out of games now. Whatever the problem, it has to be addressed. It's not good enough to hope that every match somebody will somehow get a goal and the defence will then hold out for 1-0. In 7 out of the last 8 games we have scored only 1 goal (or less). For a team hoping to be champions that is poor - and it points to something fundamentally wrong that needs fixing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I'm crap at analysing games as I'm usually half cut, but for me the main problem today was no Jackson. Pritchard isn't a winger, Green can't play on the left, and we seemed to lack any balance and lacked any ideas. Sorry if that's repeating anyone, not read through.

It's not a bad point though, Tranmere may be on poor form but we can't win them all. Was pleasantly surprised by Prenton Park, any place with a pub opposite the away turnstiles is fine by me. Major points loss for not offering balti/curry pies, however.
  • Options
    A point against traete when we aren't firing on all cylinders is good ... Wednesday lost again ( laughs ) and do overall not to bad If we get 4 out the next 6 I'll be happy ... The target is promotion... Champs is a secondary concern... It shows how well utd are doing that we done them home and away and they are still in touching distance...

One aim... F*** the trophy
  • Options
    Got back about an hour and a half ago.
    Ill take todays point. Think it was the end of our somewhat lucky run of winning ugly, the first half wasnt that great to be honest not alot of chances created and the ball kept in the midfield alot. We knew it would happen that they would "park the bus" but thought that kermogant could have done better today aswell as haynes. Really dont know how BWP managed to skuff the shot at the far post after a good cross. He must of known he was offside.
    Great support today chrisy powells red army sang for about 20 mins non stop and the support was non stop all afternoon. Decent ground with an alright pub opposite the away turnstyles where we watched the football before.

Good to see Ecclestone and Jonjo showing the support (seeing what they are missing out on) at the game in the away end and having pictures with fans.
  • Options
    Golfaddick you hit the nail on the head!

I have spent the last 25 minutes working out stats to back up that point you have made. IMO we really need to bring the Hayes and BWP partnership back, not only it gives us a different option but I also think that it will do BWP's confidence the world of good as he has said himself how he loved playing with Hayes. It will also show BWP that Powell is prepared to try the old partnership in order to get him scoring again.

Just imagine us with our strikers on form and scoring regularly again soon, we've been picking up the points and grinding out the wins without them scoring. When they start again I can see us playing like we were at the start of the season and dominating teams in the run-in.

We'll get promotion but it may be a little easier to do with the change of Hayes coming back. But, whether that happens or not.. In SCP we trust.

Yes BWP has said how much has enjoyed playing with Hayes & in the same article also says how much he enjoys playing with Yann ?
  • Options
    I thought a draw was about right. It was a scrappy first half and, although we were better in the second, we didn't really do enough to win it ( BWP appeared to stand on the ball following a delicious cross from the left, but I was a long way away }.

The absence of Jackson weighed heavily upon us - as a result, Wiggins sat very deep and we were deprived of one of our best offensive outlets
  • Options
    Appreciate we are top of the leauge 6 clear and thats not a possition to moan from. But this will go one of two ways. CP sorts it and the free flowing attracive winning football comes back. It goes the other way and results start to reflect the performance. Worried that CP does not seem to be able to turn these poor displays around. say what you like about little teams fighting and we are their cup final etc. We turned over Huddersfield and Wednesday on merit. Then Sheff Utd with a poor display, and now draws with Bury & Tranmere. Squeaky Bum Time !

I am sure CP will see Tuesday as a Chance to get back on track. Rochdale worst away goals scored record in leauge scored 10 and 4th worst conceded with 28. Lets see an early goal and our forwards put them to bed with a hatful. COYR
  • Options
    I thought a draw was about right. It was a scrappy first half and, although we were better in the second, we didn't really do enough to win it ( BWP appeared to stand on the ball following a delicious cross from the left, but I was a long way away }.

The absence of Jackson weighed heavily upon us - as a result, Wiggins sat very deep and we were deprived of one of our best offensive outlets
    Maybe Wagstaff playing on the left instead of Danny Green, would be better for Wiggins. Wagstaff does provide a lot more support for the full back then Green. With Wagstaff on Wiggins would feel more confidant to come forward. Never quite sure though of putting on right footed winger on the left side of the pitch. If it is done then I would pick Wagstaff over Green for that position due to Wagstaff's work rate and the Wiggins factor.

Trying things out and getting them not quite right as a manager is OK, but it is how the manager learns from the combinations that he puts together and doesn't keep trying things that are not working or are not going to work. When Jackson's not playing we do miss him and Chris Powell has to find an effective way to play when he is not on the pitch.

• Options

I am sure CP will see Tuesday as a Chance to get back on track. Rochdale worst away goals scored record in leauge scored 10 and 4th worst conceded with 28. Lets see an early goal and our forwards put them to bed with a hatful. COYR
    It will be a good game for BWP to find the back of the net.

Even, just one lucky goal off his knee, and I am sure he will go on another scoring run. His movement unsettles defences and he is worth the place in the team.

It will be good our strikers to find the net. Sheffield Utd Ched Evans looks a really good striker and for the run in, the strikers need to find their scoring boots. Rochdale may be a good place for them to start.

Chris Powell will have to consider the Stevenage home game on Saturday in terms of resting players with knocks.

This is where some skilled football management is required. Why we contribute to forums and are not in the dug out, picking the team.

• Options
    Squandered chances to win this. Tranmere competent a getting a foot in the way and spoiling our play but we were predictable and pedestrian. Thought it very telling that in the time took BWP to get ready to come on that our 10 men held the ball for more or less the whole period,stretching TR with the pace and accuracy of the passing, resulted in corner and goal. For those couple of minutes we were the side we should be. Dominating and threatening. Was Stephens being incisive and decisive rather than just moving the ball on. After that TR hanging on and the two missed headers at the end, the ball across the face of goal for BWP could all have secured the 3. Wouldn't of been winning ugly, would have been an economic performance. Mind you with so so many games perhaps that was not a bad thing.
    p.s. Green needs to run on another 5 before taking speculative pot shots, 2 or 3 times had more space to run on into but pulled trigger too early.

• Options
    Looking at the highlights, Stephens jogging for their goal really stood out. He had a few opportunities to get tight to their man and prevent the ball going into the danger area.