Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tranmere v. Charlton 1-1 Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Like many others really concerned by lack of goals in 2012. Think we have to persevere with kerm and bwp for next two games as tuesday especially looks good opportunity for a positive result, but beware only one goal conceded in three games since Coleman's appointment.

Left wing is the problem if Jackson does not play. Wiggins only overlaps when JJ plays and this really restricts us. Yesterday Green cut in too much and provided insufficient cover hence Wiggins looked suspect and actually got beat by their winger. MOM yesterday was a toss up between Morrison and Solly with honourable mention for Hamer, who I am not his biggest fan. Morro gets MOM by virtue of his goal and leadership skills in 2nd half.

Great away support (do we know final numbers?), and got back to sunny Belvedere at 9pm!
  • Options
    Looking at the highlights, Stephens jogging for their goal really stood out. He had a few opportunities to get tight to their man and prevent the ball going into the danger area.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01cj1sh/The_Football_League_Show_2011_2012_18_02_2012/

League one about 43 mins.

The defence definitely went to sleep for the Tranmere goal. The Stephens jogging is not good. BWP was definitely lucky that it was offside. BWP needs to get one to come off his knee or backside, I am sure he will go on another scoring run.

(Typically negative comments from BBC as per usual. It is possible to say that the match was even without being disparaging).

• Options
    edited February 2012
    The following is based on attending 1 / 2 of the match.

Decent performance by the team, if not great. We edged the second half and should have won. Indeed we would have won had BWP not stood on / tripped over the ball when facing an open goal. The linesman kindly called the matter offside to save his blushes. Further, Kermogant had a cracking chance to score but blazed wide.

This writer would like to see the team get their passing game going a bit more. A return to the football played at the start of the season would be welcomed. I had hoped this would be brought about by the return of Stephens.

The omission of Jackson, presumably through injury, impacts on the team. Green had a decent game on the left and carried some threat to the opposition. Pritchard on the right was a surprise. I like Pritchard as central midfielder but will reserve judgment on his ability to play in this position until I have seen him play there further. Having said this, I would have picked Wagstaff if fit, as I know he can play there.

The defence as always this season seemed good. The exception being Solly who played slightly below his normal high standard and made a few errors. To his credit he either recovered the situation or was in the right position to receive a pass from a team mate who had redeemed the matter.

Hamer had a good game. Positioning good and some great saves.

Out of the strikers BWP had the best movement and seemed the most likely to score. Whilst I like Kermogant and want him to start against Stevenage, I would like to see Hayes starting some games. Hayes I feel will help, in part, cause a return of the champagne football. In addition, Hayes will help BWP rediscover his scoring touch.

In summary, not much wrong but the odd tweak would assist. Keep the faith, we are going up.

A note on our support. From my seat in the main stand it was good to hear the vocal encouragement coming from behind the goal.

• Options
    agree re hayes Sheff.
  • Options
    Take that.
    Yup. But the strikers really - I mean really - have to start scoring. Now ten games since any of them did. Can't rely on Morro at corners and JJ from free-kicks to get all the goals!

Definitely this!
  • Options
    Decent performance by the team, if not great. We edged the second half and should have won. Indeed we would have won had BWP not stood on / tripped over the ball when facing an open goal. The linesman kindly called the matter offside to save his blushes.
    How would we have won if BWP had put it in the net if the linesman was calling it offside? or would he only have called it offside if it had not gone in?

• Options
    or would he only have called it offside if it had not gone in?

It was not offside in my opinion. I doubt the linesman thought it was offside. The decision was slow and appeared to made after the event and out of sympathy.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    A good away point against a tough and hard working team but a game we could & should of won if the team had turned up fully, defence did well especially Hamer who made a couple of great saves/blocks when the rest of defence took there eye of the ball.

I would like to see a return of Hayes, Hughes and Wagstaff in the place of Kermorgant who is a great player but would give him a rest and see if are start of the season striking partnership can work as it did, Stephens didnt do much, looked at times to scared to try something other then the safe pass back to Morrison or sideways plus it restricts Hollands from getting forward who can be dangerous and Green really dissapointed me as at the start of the season when we signed him i thought he would be easily player of the year but so far each time i have seen him has looked like so many of are wingers over the years, flashes of brilliance but cant manage the simple stuff to go with it.

• Options
    We are on course for a record points tally and some fans think it is squeaky bum time! yesterday was a tough match we we could have won but look at our away record and nobody can have any complaints- you can't win every game.
  • Options
    Any one there to see bwp's miss. Lucky it was off side
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We are on course for a record points tally and some fans think it is squeaky bum time! yesterday was a tough match we we could have won but look at our away record and nobody can have any complaints- you can't win every game.
    It is squeaky bun time, we have enough games remaining that we might finish in the play offs, we will only break records if our strikers start scoring, yesterday was not a good performance and CP needs to shake things up if we are not to throw away what we have so far achieved.

It just needs one good performance for the team to get back on a record breaking track and I hope they achieve that against Rochdale.

Me negative? - no just an old Charlton supporter
  • Options
  • Options
    Shall we start losing a few games before we do panic - not the odd away draw.
  • Options
    If only BWP had a left and right foot rather than two left feet tangled around one another we might have nicked it in the last minutes yesterday, Never mind the old system for winning a league was draw away and win at home. Thankfully this team has been winning both home and away so when a draw comes along we all fell a little down hearted, Be grateful for what we have got.

We certainly all feel better than we did this time last season.
    Onwards and upwards. COYR
  • Options
    Can't comment on game as wasn't there. Until the last couple of games I wasn't too worried about our strikers not scoring but it is now becoming a concern. It's good we can still win when they are not scoring but that won't continue for ever. Also I do feel that BWPs game has suffered alongside Kermy. With Yann in the team we are too one dimensional and hitting him with a long ball is becoming all too easy an option. There is no denying that we played better football with Hayes in the side and that Hayes play is better suited to BWP. Also it isn't as if Hayes wasn't chipping in with a goal here and there and Kermy is hardly prolific himself. I'd agree with giving Hayes and BWP another go together and maybe Kermy will benefit from a rest too.
  • Options
    agree, Haynes and Clarke have been tried, albeit limitedly, but it probably is time to revert to what worked so well earlier in the season ie. Hayes and BWP and cross our fingers.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Can't comment on game as wasn't there. Until the last couple of games I wasn't too worried about our strikers not scoring but it is now becoming a concern. It's good we can still win when they are not scoring but that won't continue for ever. Also I do feel that BWPs game has suffered alongside Kermy. With Yann in the team we are too one dimensional and hitting him with a long ball is becoming all too easy an option. There is no denying that we played better football with Hayes in the side and that Hayes play is better suited to BWP. Also it isn't as if Hayes wasn't chipping in with a goal here and there and Kermy is hardly prolific himself. I'd agree with giving Hayes and BWP another go together and maybe Kermy will benefit from a rest too.
    I was there, Large and though I am optimistic regarding this squad and their /our Leader, I am slightly nervous like your good self.

We all know that Yann works hard and has been tremendous on the whole since signing BUT I too feel he has " gone off the boil" in the last few games & definitely identified that at Tranmere.

Really don't have the answers but feel , without tinkering with the side overly, SCP needs to get the lads firing on all cylinders again sooner rather than later with the goal scoring issue being of paramount importance. Without the 2 pens against MKDons last week, I wonder whether we would have scored from open play .....

I'm not moaning, or panicking but we need to gain 6 points from the next 2 home games IMHO , not only to retain our unbeaten home record but predominantly to re-instill that wavering confidence in the minds of both the players and the fans.

One aim !

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I think the minute you start panicking is when the blips will come. But why are some panicking, we have won 6 and drawn 2 of our last 8 and 2 of them were victories against 2nd and 3rd and one a victory against 5th less than a week ago. We have lost only TWO games all season and we got a decent draw on Saturday. Our performances so far mean that we can drop a few points here and there and still win this league but a draw at Tranmere is no disaster by any means. Ok the strikers aren't scoring but we know what they are capable of and that they are too good not to go on a positive run sooner rather than later, so the fact we can achieve what we have despite that fact should only instill greater confidence.

• Options
    Tranmere is a difficult place to play. Yesterday's windy conditions made it difficult to control long balls or measure crosses and a bouncy pitch made it hard to bring the ball down and play, (I'm convinced they leave the pitch dry to hamper footballing teams like ourselves). Their physical, direct style of play, also adds to the difficulty and they go out of their way to waste time, kick the ball away and niggle. (Those of you who remember the last two home matches against them, won't be surprised to hear that the GK was booked for time wasting). We played well in patches and had to dig in at times, so all in all a good point.

My only concern was the way we were set up and the selection of an unbalanced midfield. Green on the left, (always coming inside onto his right foot) and Pritchard on the right (tucking-in), meant we lacked width. The Central Midfielders were caught in possession on a number of occasions looking for an outlet pass to the flanks, which were often vacant, and the pattern of play didn't work for long spells. Tranmere also worked hard at stopping the full backs getting out and closed down space quickly, so we were forced to play too many long balls in the difficult conditions. When Tranmere dropped off the pace in the last quarter of the match, we passed it better.
    Apart from that, the players produced their usual 100 per cent effort. This is a reliable group of players, showing no signs of the total collapse that would result in us failing to acheive automatic promotion.

I'll be happy to avoid the walk up from Rock Ferry Station next season. You wouldnt know there is a football league ground or a match on, until 100 yards from the ground. There's no buzz or atmosphere whatsoever. Horrible away game, although the visit to Liverpool City Centre (Beatles Museum etc.) makes up for Birkenhead. Two home matches, then Bournemouth away, that's more like it.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    You wouldnt know there is a football league ground or a match on, until 100 yards from the ground. There's no buzz or atmosphere whatsoever.

Reminds me of supporting Charlton at home in the 70s.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Tranmere result is not at all bad. Although they are not setting the league alight, their home record is won 4, drawn 8 and lost 3. '3' defeats from 15 is not too bad and their last home game against Huddersfield was a 1-1 draw. Our result was reflective of the game and fair. We can't win them all!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    People should stop panicking about people panicking. Pointing out that we're not scoring many goals, none at all by the strikers, and becoming over reliant on our defence and set pieces is not exactly going over the top. It's obvious, unless your head is buried in the sand, that while we're doing well there are warning signs that some areas need to be addresssed. The time to fix things is before the wheels have fallen off, not afterwards!
  • Options
    You wouldnt know there is a football league ground or a match on, until 100 yards from the ground. There's no buzz or atmosphere whatsoever.

Reminds me of supporting Charlton at home in the 70s.
    I agree. me and my mate were in the pub on the corner for at least an hour and a half before another football fan came in.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Just watched the highlights on the BBC website.

They show several chances that didn't find the back of the net.
    Decent approach play by Green and Wiggins.

PS: Who was the bird in skirt and stillettos on the pitch?
    Right at the beginning of the BBC clip.
  • Options
    PS: Who was the bird in skirt and stillettos on the pitch?
    Right at the beginning of the BBC clip.
    wrong thread Oggy, you want the shoes one

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I've never opened the shoes thread, as it's only women who bother about shoes, Salad.
  • Options
    For what its worth I actually thought we played OK in both halfs and their goal came against the run of play. We had several chances in the second half (mainly from corners) to win the game.

Thought the midfield was poor, Stephens far too deep and in effective and with Pritchard coming inside from the right and Green cutting in from the left the pitch became very congested in the middle of the park and it was left to wiggins and solly to offer any width. Thought Wiggins looked off the boil on Saturday and wonder if that was due to JJ not being infront of him.

I thought Haynes had a good game, as mentioned above if he had gone down in the first half would of been interesting to see what the ref had given and in the second half span his defender twice to put to great balls into the 6 yard box but had no one running onto them, As for Yann he got hit early by Goodison and wonder if that played a part in his performance.

Thought we should of changed things with Waggy coming on and running at their full backs but Chrissy decided it was not the way to go.

Would like to see two wide men play tomorrow with Pritchard or Hughes in the middle, unless Dale Stephens is going to be allowed to go forward and have some wide options to pick out

• Options
    I think it will come down to a late penalty for CAFC. JJ still unfit, so who will take it and will they score?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Bill

People are not panicking about people panicking they have a different maybe more realistic expectation. It seems you went to Saturdays game and I am happy to accept your view of the game and the players performances. My problem is there seems to be a perpetual view we have the right to dominate any and every game regardless of the opposition and without free flowing penetrating football all is lost.

There is not one side in League 1 this season that has performed to that level. Only Brighton and to a lesser extent Southampton in recent years have played anywhere near a strong open attacking game. Sheff United are making a decent fist of it but many of their players were in the Championship last season. The League 1 game is attritional. We are "attritional plus".

Stevenage v Spurs gave a perfect example of how difficult it is to play against an attritional side and just look at the array of talent Spurs had available yet nearly every player on the pitch, Bale and Parker included, looked positively ordinary. Spurs looked like they had had enough of it after just one game. We, to greater or lesser degree, have much the same every week

Many comments are from people expressing a view based on a commentary of the game. It is not for me to inhibit people expressing their views but it is easy to get overly frustrated in such scenarios and many unwittingly or not just repeat their personal preferences on players even though they have no real idea how that player played in any given game. It is also odd how non participants often almost vilified for earlier performances are now seen as saviours to the crisis.

When you read through the comments and match them to the players marks allocated by those who went, more often than not, you will struggle to find any correlation between the two. It really is a case of that old banking term "Words and Figures Differ". Comments on Tranmere are interesting, when comparing Powells' post game views he is either being a very naughty boy or he is sniffing something he shouldn't (in which case he is a very, very naughty boy).

On another website its main contributor enters into multiple negative comments on the manager and his players often based on "others" opinions. It is not difficult to see on whose opinions he chooses to focus. His endless stream of negativity can only be viewed as the pursuit of some weird personal agenda. That is up to him but it is not for me thanks.

A modest suggestion - we have had a couple of new contributors put together some excellent reports on recent games and perhaps a thread classified as match reports would more appropriate for all of those who actually went to the game.

I have no idea how any player performed on Saturday because I was not there - I do know the result and suspect as with most games at this level both sides will have had opportunities to have won the game. I know the team remains undefeated in the league in 2012 with 4 wins out of 6 and based on the plan of 2 points per game we remain 8 points over target.

The Sheffield games were just over 4 weeks ago.

I commiserate with those who now consider this slump is really getting out of hand and no doubt our luck will very soon run out. On the other hand may I ask you to spare a thought for those other 21 League 1 managers (+ 2 ex managers) who I suspect (it is only a suspicion mind) would probably wish they were in the same slump.

Chin up lads and lasses it will all turn out alright in the end. How? I don't know it is a mystery.

Grapevine49
  • Options
    Bill

People are not panicking about people panicking they have a different maybe more realistic expectation. It seems you went to Saturdays game and I am happy to accept your view of the game and the players performances. My problem is there seems to be a perpetual view we have the right to dominate any and every game regardless of the opposition and without free flowing penetrating football all is lost.

There is not one side in League 1 this season that has performed to that level. Only Brighton and to a lesser extent Southampton in recent years have played anywhere near a strong open attacking game. Sheff United are making a decent fist of it but many of their players were in the Championship last season. The League 1 game is attritional. We are "attritional plus".

Stevenage v Spurs gave a perfect example of how difficult it is to play against an attritional side and just look at the array of talent Spurs had available yet nearly every player on the pitch, Bale and Parker included, looked positively ordinary. Spurs looked like they had had enough of it after just one game. We, to greater or lesser degree, have much the same every week

Many comments are from people expressing a view based on a commentary of the game. It is not for me to inhibit people expressing their views but it is easy to get overly frustrated in such scenarios and many unwittingly or not just repeat their personal preferences on players even though they have no real idea how that player played in any given game. It is also odd how non participants often almost vilified for earlier performances are now seen as saviours to the crisis.

When you read through the comments and match them to the players marks allocated by those who went, more often than not, you will struggle to find any correlation between the two. It really is a case of that old banking term "Words and Figures Differ". Comments on Tranmere are interesting, when comparing Powells' post game views he is either being a very naughty boy or he is sniffing something he shouldn't (in which case he is a very, very naughty boy).

On another website its main contributor enters into multiple negative comments on the manager and his players often based on "others" opinions. It is not difficult to see on whose opinions he chooses to focus. His endless stream of negativity can only be viewed as the pursuit of some weird personal agenda. That is up to him but it is not for me thanks.

A modest suggestion - we have had a couple of new contributors put together some excellent reports on recent games and perhaps a thread classified as match reports would more appropriate for all of those who actually went to the game.

I have no idea how any player performed on Saturday because I was not there - I do know the result and suspect as with most games at this level both sides will have had opportunities to have won the game. I know the team remains undefeated in the league in 2012 with 4 wins out of 6 and based on the plan of 2 points per game we remain 8 points over target.

The Sheffield games were just over 4 weeks ago.

I commiserate with those who now consider this slump is really getting out of hand and no doubt our luck will very soon run out. On the other hand may I ask you to spare a thought for those other 21 League 1 managers (+ 2 ex managers) who I suspect (it is only a suspicion mind) would probably wish they were in the same slump.

Chin up lads and lasses it will all turn out alright in the end. How? I don't know it is a mystery.

Grapevine49
    The voice of reason as ever.