Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs. Yeovil | 20th March 2012 | Match Preview, Predictions, Teams, News & Views

WSSWSS
edited March 2012 in General Charlton
Cheers StubleyAddick for this midweek preview. Top notch.

Despite a recent dip in form, the Addicks still have top spot; a position that hasn’t changed for six months and I still remain confident that it will last like that till the end of the season.

But in order for that to happen, we will need to start winning again; I mean nine points clear isn’t enough is it?! In all seriousness, Tuesday’s game could be as important as next Saturday’s against Huddersfield in terms of confidence and proving that we are deservingly top-of-the-league.

However, we mustn’t underestimate Yeovil who have sparked a recent run that has seen them climb up towards the play-off spots rather than the relegation zone which they seemed to hover around earlier in the season. Credit has to be given to the Yeovil board and in particular Terry Skiverton who stepped down as manager to become assistant manager to allow Gary Johnson a return in the Yeovil dugout and he has managed to transform Yeovil’s season.

Yeovil have not lost since February 25th which came against Carlisle in a 3-2 defeat. Since that defeat to Carlisle, the Glovers have won 4 out of their last 5 games including away victories at Oldham and MK Dons meaning that Gary Johnson’s side are certainly not a side to be messed with.

The main threat to the Addicks will be Glover’s striker Andy Williams who has scored 10 goals in as many games and he also scored at the Valley last season. Another player to lookout for is Middlesbrough loanee Jonathan Franks who has scored once in five matches since his loan deal started last month.

So what of our Addicks then? I can expect some more changes after last weekend’s results which again seemed to display another frustrating performance. Powell decided to shake up the midfield a bit with selecting Waggy ahead of Green who missed the Notts County game through injury.

Also, Powell recalled Darel Russell ahead of Dale Stephens to add some more ‘steel’ to the midfield and allow the likes of Wiggins to have more opportunities of attacking. However, I feel someone like Andy Hughes would be more suited to that role.

Also a huge bonus would be if our skipper JJ is fit for Tuesday’s game, otherwise we may have to select Green/Waggy on the left or alternatively select Evina/a youngster (such as Harriott) to occupy the left wing spot (unless Powell signs cover on loan).

Also, with not much cover up-front it keeps us guessing who may be on the bench. Will someone young like strikers Azeez or Sho-Silva get a place on the sub-bench? Or will Powell keep the likes of Pritchard, Stephens and Green on the bench?

In my opinion, I would select someone like Pritchard or Hughes over Russell and I can see Powell making that decision on Tuesday. Or alternatively, he may rest a few such as Morro and Jackson in preparation for Saturday’s crucial game against Huddersfield.

The prediction for this game is a really hard choice especially with our form compared to Yeovil’s, meaning anything can happen. We need a great support on Tuesday night rallying the side from start to finish ensuring a return to form. It will be as tough as always but I shall predict 1-0 to the Addicks (BWP continuing his form)

Come on you Reds.

Recent Meetings at The Valley

20/11/2010– League One – CAFC 3 (JJ (2); Racon) YTFC 2 (Williams; Doherty 55)
20/02/2010– League One – CAFC 2 (Reid; Mooney) YTFC 0

Comments

• Options
    i'm bricking it ....lose this and i can see the continued freefall of nothingness continue to the end of the season
    we look a team bereft of confidence and ideas

win this and it's all roses again draw it and we can continue to pretend it isn't as bad as it could be cos we're still 7 points clear of 3rd spot and you'd have taken that at the beginning of the season

can't see us losing thankfully and i'm leaning more favourably to a win gonna be tight

• Options
    A very nervy game. We go behind twice but come back and win 3-2 . BWP . Hollands & Jackson
  • Options
    The point is that they can mess up more games and still take the trophy. So my prediction until the finish of the season Charlton will not be stable as we used to know them! Hopefully Charlton beat Yeovil. The much 100% will be with very few goals 1 or 2 MAX!
  • Options
    1-0 with a late Yann header
  • Options
    Yeovil will be up for this the form they are in so I am going for 1-1 as we are hopeless when teams come at us at The Valley
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I hope CP doesn't rest people with Hudds in mind. We need a win under our belts now.
    lose this and i can see the continued freefall of nothingness continue to the end of the season

Stop it - you're scaring me.
  • Options
    3 - 0 Charlton
  • Options
    5-0 the reds. 4 goals from BWP and one from Solly.

Nurse - time for another one of my pills!
  • Options
    5-0 the reds. 4 goals from BWP and one from Solly.

Nurse - time for another one of my pills!
    You only need ONE, Saga Lout ??????

• Options
    squeaky bum time - in theory this game more winnable that Saturday's so no point saving players for that game unless their fitness isn't good enough for tomorrow.
    1-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    squeaky bum time
    Please move to the colonoscopy thread.
  • Options
    squeaky bum time
    Please move to the colonoscopy thread.
    Lol !

Good luck with the procedure, U bend , oops, Uboat.

• Options
    Having said 1-1 v Scunthorpe with BWP scoring, the following WILL happen tomorrow night:
    2-1 Kermo & Solly
  • Options
    I've got to miss this one ... so bound to be 4 nil in our favour ... BWP hat-trick and Waggy
  • Options
    3-2 win having been 2-0 down in 15mins. Played infront of our lowest crowd of the season.
  • Options
    I love this thread, 15 comments and BWP has already been put down for 2 x hat tricks.
  • Options
    Midweek games haven't been good recently, flat atmosphere, empty seats, if Yeovil get an early goal they'll be quite happy to sit on the lead and make it hard for us, then we'll result in aiming for Kerms head for 60 minutes and we'll run out of ideas.

So yeah I can see it being a nervy one.
  • Options
    As long as the oppo don't score yet another worldy past Hamer from 30 yars, we'll be alright.
  • Options
    4-1.

Wagstaff, Taylor, BWP, Kermo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    1-1 and I'd like to see Cort in for Morrison
  • Options
    Only nervy if the crowd make it nervy.
  • Options
    I would like to see a change in formation. Maybe a 4,5,1 approach. We need to stop bypassing the midfield. Looking to stay calm on the ball, pass it confidently and welcome the pressure. However. Probably go in at the break at 0-0 and take the game to em in the second half.
    1-0 the Addicks!!
  • Options
    Play a 4-4-1-1 formation, with Kermogant in the hole?
  • Options
    They have a player in form (Andy Williams) think we will struggle again on a tuesday night. I'm going for a 1-1 draw again with us scoring first through Russell with Andy Williams equalising few minutes after.
  • Options
    Then we find the team not looking to keep the ball and play through the midfield. We look for an easy way up pitch with a direct air ball to Kermit with no real affective flick on. Scp hasn't played with formation all season and i don't expect him to now. Still, a win.for charlton
  • Options
    0-1 Yeovil
  • Options
    first goal wins it for me... sadly just cant decide who will get it. Gary Johnson is a class manager and him and skiverton seem to be working well together and yeovil have stormed up the league since johnson rejoined. ummmm.... has to be a win no other result will do,crazy nervous whistles from the crowd from 88mins onwards met by shear delight and relief when the whistle goes to finally get over the 80 point mark. 1 nil to the addicks.
  • Options
    Taking my grandaughter we have not lost when she comes to a game. Its my gransons birthaday (14th) he turn down visit to the cinema and dinner, for a hot dog at the valley got to be 2-0 to CAFC.
  • Options
    Draw. Powell to stick with a 442. Green replaces JJ.