Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks v's Yeovil - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Thought we played a bit better than some are making out. The second and third goals were fantastic, thanks to Yann.

For the second goal, Yeovil knew full well the free kick was going to be aimed for Yann but still couldn't stop him putting it on a plate for BWP.

Russell and Cort both had fantastic games. I would go as far as saying Cort is the best ariel defender we have.

Good shift from Waggy, always chasing.

There is light at the end of the tunnel. A win at Huddersfield and it will take a madman to bet against us.

COYR!!!
    Not read the other posts after this one but for me, cafctom, hits the spot.

SO pleased for Russell scoring the 3rd goal- he really deserved it after a great showing. Definitely should retain his place in the team .

Hollands stepped up to the plate tonight after a couple of tired performances recently .

Much needed confidence regained tonight for both players & supporters. Just what we needed as we head to Huddersfield .

Can really say it again now.....BELIEVE !

• Options
    I think the fact that BWP is back on song, 7 goals in 7 matches, is a key factor.

It takes off a bit of pressure, if the team feel they have someone who can be relied on to nick a goal.
  • Options
    problem is we have been conceding too many lately, whther bwp scores or not.

after tonight though, looks like that may have been solved.
  • Options
    That's 2 visits to the Valley this season and 2 wins, rollon Hartlepool.

Enjoyed the East Stand and the match. We restricted Yeovil to mostly long shots and when they got close Hamer or the post saved us. The midfield was week in 1st half but improved. Good to see BWP putting in a good effort, Waggy not complaining and Yann having the ball at his feet at times. Both Cort and N'G improved as the game went on and you could see the confidence grow with the score.

Just what we needed for next Saturday - I'll be there.

Also thanks to the guys in the Lib for asking me welcome.
  • Options
    Good solid (if not spectactular) performance. Thought Cort played really well, as did Russell who was happy to do the 'dirty' work in the middle of the park, great athlete. Both CM's had to played a more conservative role as we were attack minded in wide positions. Waggy ran his nuts off tonight and put in a decent shift.

The 1st goal: Still not sure if he meant it. If it was a cross, then who to? we had no-one in their box to aim for. If that had been scored in the prem, MOTD would be showing it for the next decade. As it was, it was scored in L1 and won't even be shown on the league show at the weekend.

The 2nd & 3rd were both great team goals with Kermogant heavily involved in both for those who think he doesn't contribute enough.

Overall, very happy with the outcome. Don't give a stuff if we're not playing silky football at the moment. It's the business end of the season and we just need to grind em out to cross the line.

For the first time this season I almost didn't go................glad I changed my mind.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I meant making not asking - where's the edit ? Oh it's there thanks Tango
  • Options
    I meant making not asking - where's the edit ?
    on the little cog on the right. ;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I'ts the little gear wheel symbol beside the quote link on your own posts, Lancy.

Click on that, and a little black Edit link comes up.
    So click on that ....et Voila!
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited March 2012
    I think we can still finish 7th under the worst scenario. 5 wins to guarantee promotion at the mo. I guess we'll need 3.
    Please don't exaggerate. 13 points - 4 wins and a draw.
    A much needed win at last, actually think four more wins will be enough with the better goal diff.

I actually think 6 more points will do it (for promotion). Even if Wednesday win 4 and draw 4 of their remaining fixtures (which is champions form and they haven't managed that ratio all season) they will still only end up on 87 points. Agreed though, the more points for us the better.
  • Options
    3 goals, 3 points and a clean sheet. Lovely!

Thought we played well, they never really threatened and even when they had their period in the match we restricted them to long range efforts and crosses from deep that didn't trouble. Last ten before half time we knocked the ball around really nicely, need to do that more, we were a little too direct at times tonight but credit to Yeovil as they worked hard, closed the space and made us like that at times.

10 more points will do for the title.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Early goal was vital to settle the nerves - on & off the pitch. Cort & Russel both did well, and perhaps suggest that we could've refreshed things a bit sooner, but then again, we just kept grinding out the results that have given us this lead.

Thought we still tended to hit a few too many long balls at times but guess it's understandable at this stage of the season. Nice then to see Yann dropping off and showing his all round ability; excellent control and pass that led to the third. Both forwards worked so hard, as did everyone. That combined effort earned the victory that should give us such a boost.

OK, so it wasn't our most free-flowing display, but we'd have seen most teams off in that second half. As the jitters creep in - just look at the leaders in the other divisions - we should perhaps just savour the fact that even in the maelstrom, we have enough quality, mixed with the grit, to cruise home 3-0.

That finishing line just got 3 pts closer.
  • Options
    Is anybody expecting neitherton owl on here tonight ?
    or Operationpig

• Options
    Second half played well, BWP was fantastic as was Yann. Russell was very solid and we will win our last four at home if we play like that.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Agreed, Rob.

I believe we're actually much closer to promotion, than many posters seem to think.

I'm talking about points needed for automatic promotion, rather than winning the title - which is what we're all really hoping for! That'll take a bit longer.
  • Options
    As me old mate Len Glover would say -posted without reading the thread..... Let me take it a further step, I'm gonna post, not only without reading my fellow supporters views but also without going to the game, not knowing anything about the game and only knowing the result.
    So basically it does not matter how we won 3 points, it does not matter that Sheffield Utd got 3 points tonight. All that matters is that Sheffield Wednesday only got 1 point tonight. That everybody is a major step to automatic promotion. A step that will be forgotten or not even recognised by most CAFC supporters. Tonight was one word -MASSIVE!!!
  • Options
    first half was a bit average.
    second half we started playing some nice football. Hollonds got hold of the ball alot more which helped make the team move with a bit of purpose. some great tackling by him as well.
    for the third goal Kermorgants over head kick to set it up just sums him up beautifully. the guy is class.
    As mentioned previously Cort was solid. deserves to keep his place.
    the wing was still unfortunately non-existent.
    Have to say our fall backs know how to take a corner.

as for Yeovil. any sight of goal even from 40 yards out, they would have a shot. Their manager must of thought that Hamer was naf at shots off target. he seemed to do pretty well with the couple that were on target.
  • Options
    Huddersfield will be an important game. A win there and it will really set us up nicely. However, if results go against us suddenly we are only 6/7 points clear which could be clawed back within a weeks football as we all witnessed last week.

Thinking about tonight tbh we were crap till we got the 2nd.. but mainly because after that Yeovil gave up. I can see Huddersfield (Rhodes) punishing us if we give them the same space we gave Yeovil in the first half.

Wasn't greatley impressed with N'Guessan but he hasn't got match fitness. I'm slightly worried that Powell has brought in two players that can play left wing and make that 3 when Haynes comes back.. hoping that Jacko's injury niggles aren't bad.

Thought Russell had a good end to the game. Was shocking in the first half, as was Danny Hollands. Niether of them are ball-playing midfielders, so we found ourselves giving away possession after 3 or 4 passes. In the last 5 minutes of the half we actually played a bit of keep ball and made it look easy. I'm not sure why it took them 40 minutes to do so!

Overall though its another 3 points and clean sheet, even though we didn't play brilliant. Come the Hartlepool game when we are singing "WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS" I won't really care.

Slater and Jimenez have both said you can't make a business out of a league 1 club, so would not be at all surprised to see them spend a bit of cash in the summer and make us a tidy Championship outfit... IF we go up.
  • Options
    early goal settled us down & we deserved a bit of luck, although first half Yoevil were the better team - they passed better, they moved better & they shot better.......

we grew into the game as it went on & you could see the confidence coming back - Kermy's touch for the 3rd was sublime !! Just hope they take the last 20 mins into Saturday;s game - a draw at 'udders and we are nearly there !!

Cort my MOTM..........headed everything and nearly capped it off with a goal. Mention in dispatches to Kermy. N'guessen done ok.

• Options
    we were nervous at 1-0 but so what! If I watched that again I'd enjoy and the thing is Yeovil were not the threat that people made out... kicking balls into touch... neat play with no final product etc

I simply cannot understand anyone having a downer...

SCP has signed two decent players on loan AND managed us out of a blip to get us back on track
    Points dropped by key rival tonight
    Another game gone and the gap still there
    Pressure off for Saturday and seriously tempted to see if I can get there as I'm in Nottingham this weekend

Overall I thought the performance was spot on in terms of goals, chances in the box and containing the oppo... already trying to line up celebration with not so regular reds after a few years of decline
  • Options
    i was saying to my mate while walking down to the ground that tonight was all about getting a result... which we did, not spectacular, but the win was needed before the trip to hudders which i will now be happy with a point from but only if we cant win it (if you catch me drift)?

UTHACL's :~)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A decent enough start, especially with the boost of the flukey goal, but we then lost some momentum and Yeovil found their men better than we did up until half time ( as befits a team on their best run of the entire season). After the break, however, we upped the tempo and once the second goal went in, the confidence coursed back into the team.

Cort had a horse of a game at the back and won absolutely everything ( and I mean everything ) in the air. Our midfield was a bit bovine in the first half but picked up after the break, especially in the case of Russel, who made a couple of good runs into their box.

Overall, a very satisfactory evening, with the Owls now effectively 12 points behind us ( taking into account our vastly superior goal difference ) and Huddersfield a massive 14 points behind with a game in hand. Another 8 points from the last 8 games will see us promoted and 10 should secure the championship.

• Options
    It seems the 2nd half tonight was all about Kermorgant playing a little deeper, in the hole.

That means he can be picked out for balls to feet, and has a little more space and time in which to operate.

And the bonus is, it will often draw a CB out of position to challenge him - and then the opposition back line gets pulled apart.

That still gives Yann time to make a late run into the box, often without a marker.
  • Options
    It was essential we won tonight, as it means we can go to Huddersfield knowing that a draw will be fine. If we hadn't won, and the gap went down to 6 or 7, then the pressure would have been on, on Saturday, after 4 games without a win.
    Now we can go there, keep it tight, and nick a goal on the break, that's how we've won a lot of away games this season!
  • Options
    Another 3 points in the bag. For me Cort was Man of the Match mopping everything up at the back. Well worked 2nd and 3rd goals with Yann involved in both. Thought the first half was a bit sloppy but second half much better. Hamer pulled off another great save in the second half and another clean sheet. Normal service has been resumed! Last game now till the Walsall game so COYR for the games I miss!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Lets not be over confident, it was only 3-0 to a supposed in form team with a debutant and striker scoring, in fact hes only got 7 goals in the last 7 games, were only 11 points clear of 3rd with 8 games to go, if results go against us for the next twelve months we could be facing League 2 football, ffs I got in feeling so chuffed but now Im all depressed again reading this
  • Options
    A wins a win and we deserved the win, yes the football was a bit up in the air at times but tbh I couldn't care less, tonight was all about 3 points which we got with the added bonus of Wednesday dropping points.

I said before 4 wins will seal it well now it's 3 more wins.

Kerms and Cort were our best players, Kerms header for the 2nd and flick on for the 3rd were brilliant, BWP also worked his socks off and seems to be linking with Kerms better than he was. Looking forward to Hudders now
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    the result was the only thing that mattered for us tonight and we got it

performance wise i thought we were pretty bland and ineffective for most of the match but luckily we caught yeovil at their worst , they were truly awful (and none of that bollox we stopped em playing , they were shit. )

cort has prolly secured a spot for the rest of the season he was immense
    n'guessan didn't impress on that evidence
    our best crossers are the full backs and the waggy made up for his lack of ability with plenty of energy

a point at hudders will be a monster bonus

champions 70% runners up 25% the dreaded play offs 5%
  • Options
    Will take ground out wins for the rest of the season. Yeovil didn't give us much space until later on in the game. We played long balls and battled away, not great to watch but had to be done.

Got a lucky goal and looked like we would go on to win, with Yeovil's main hope coming from a long range shot sneaking in.

First impression on N'Guessen is that he will do a job in this league, nothing to get excited about, but that's what he's here to do at the moment. Same with likes of Cort, Hughes and Hayes throughout this season. Good point about him being another option in the air when Hamer had to go long, means we don't go for Yann every time.

Waggy ran as usual, didn't have a great game but do like the runs he makes. With the midfield 4 we played until recently it's fine having more skilful players but good football usually comes with both quality on the ball and pace/energy/movement around those players.

Russell added what we've missed recently - made the midfield more solid and aggressive, obviously doesn't drop deep and play the odd nice pass in the way Stephens does. Midfield isn't ideal for nice football, but it wasn't ideal for battling through games before.

Another game down and we're closer to finally getting out of this league.
  • Options
    .....tonight was all about 3 points which we got with the added bonus of Wednesday dropping points.
    So it could be said tonight was worth 5 points to us, with Wednesday slipping.

Not many would have predicted Wednesday being just 45 seconds from a home defeat to Walsall, would they?

Plenty of twists and turns during the last few weeks of the season, no doubt.

• Options
    oohaah ... what are you on about? we are up! Simples... just a question of which game

And we take another step towards the record low of goals conceded

The game was truly enjoyable compared to conceding 6 in 1.5 home games so recently... relaxed; Cort in control; Kermogant at his usual (watch him next year); N'Guessan filling a gap & scoring

Last week I had the pleasure of listening to SCP explain how he had stopped the rot... for those that missed the event and the thread he simply stated "let's stop conceding" & "let's play for the shirt" & "now it's all about results" ... hence 4 pts from 2 games :)

I have no idea whether we can emulate Southampton / Norwich but we are on that path... can SCP continue to recruit/build the club? and will our backers see us through? Can't wait for 2012/13 episode :)