Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks v's Yeovil - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    Ooooh Aaah is back to 95% up again...

Goooood!!!!
  • Options
    The players started the game with nerves, it is evident that this run of form has been more about bottle and testicular fortitude than the quality of player on the pitch, we were too keen in the early stages of the game to play the ball forward from the edge of our box or in our box if Hamer had the ball to the edge of the oppostition box within 1 or 2 passes, it creates a nervous style of play and is playing into the strengths of others,

DNG scored from a cross without a doubt but i am just glad it went in, however we reverted to type and for some reason it was not until the last 5 mins of the 1st half that we actually slowed the pace down strung more than 3 passes together and retained possesion in a patient way to try and build from the back,

Danny Hollands stopped losing the ball or over/under hitting passes from very early in the 2nd half, and he also had a snap back in his tackles, from that moment we relaxed as a team started to play foortball and scored 2 more good goals to put the game to bed

it was a tough match in which Yeovil done well, but for me the main point other than Hollands turning in an excellent 2nd half was that save from Ben Hamer, it was a match winning save truely brilliant

had that gone in i think we wouldve lost the game

BWP worked tirelessly

DNG seemed heavy to me

Russle gave Hollands the confidence to play i think and the partnership worked better than stephens and hollands

Cort was the tonic needed in the CH postion and done excellently to get goal side so quickly after Hamers miss placed pass in the 1st half

the frustration for me comes from the continual kickng from Hands from hamer he needs to allow play to slow down and drop the ball infront of him and kick from the floor at times

we are back that to me meant only 2 more victories required

1 wont be on saturday so get the suicide kids out for the we are going to throw it away brigade

we aint, we wont but i just cant see us winning saturday
  • Options
    The player marks are very funny. Do first halves count? only one or two scored it right.

Kermogant and BWP never held the ball, (Kermo especially was totally awol) and the midfield were chasing shadows.

So, finally, I can give SCP some credit as he got stuck into em (Hollands was a different player).

Thought BWP worked as much in that 2nd half more than any other game.

Can we not have scores on the screen during a match? Very distracting .
  • Options
    Ooooh Aaah is back to 95% up again...

Goooood!!!!
    exactly i went 100% after bournemouth and it went all pete tong .....

• Options
    Immense
  • Options
    that save from Ben Hamer, it was a match winning save truely brilliant

had that gone in i think we wouldve lost the game

that was a very important moment

still not into hamers kicking like others , yes there are some decent ones but some dgy dangerous ones as well and i don't think he has the long overarm throw in his armoury which is a big weapon for a keeper and when he does throw it a couple of times i think he is very close to releasing the ball outside the box and may give a handball away but linos aren't that sharp to be on that

• Options
    How on earth did Notts County stuff us
  • Options
    nervy 1st half despite early goal

better 2nd half

Cort MOM for me and 2nd half was more like Danny Hollands of early season

Hamer's through ball to Wiggins in 1st half-you won't see that very often

watched it in East last night and to say you get a different interpretation of the game from my usual spot in NL is an understatement
  • Options
    Sheff U not playing on Saturday either do we'll be 8 points clear at least regardless. Could help with the psychological side of things. Nah, thats bollocks actually.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why is there always more comments in the post match thread after a negative result? Anyone would think we don't enjoy winning!

Great result, brilliant football and the team stepped it up tonight. Roll on Saturday!
  • Options
    Sheff U not playing on Saturday either do we'll be 8 points clear at least regardless. Could help with the psychological side of things. Nah, thats bollocks actually.
    Instead they are playing Chesterfield at home next Wednesday so you expect them to win that

• Options
    watched it in East last night and to say you get a different interpretation of the game from my usual spot in NL is an understatement
    I take it you mean for the good or was it worse?
  • Options
    I think that CP should definitely get a mention on this thread. He saw the need for reinforcements, and he acted decisively. He also saw the need to give a couple a rest, leading to Cort being named by many of you as MOM. Well done Chris. The main statistic that I am concentrating on is the 11 point gap to third place.
  • Options
    Hamer's block doesn't count as shot was straight at him according to ooh aah's rules. : - )
  • Options
    much better mate

• Options
    Wow, after attending the 4-2 Notts County escapade and the Colchester United game - I was a bit nervous about this one. We had to win - and we did; it was a very big win really.

In reality, we weren't dazzling - but we looked comfortable and confident, especially in the second half. Yann stood out for me, as well as Bradley Wright-Phillips as usual. I always liked him, but I was probably one of the ones that towards the end of his drought began to think "He plays well, he does so much, he has lots of goal assists.. but is he really a striker?" - I'm glad to say I've been eating humble pie recently! It must be said though, he has always put in a real shift regardless of what the scoresheet may say..!

Wagstaff was a huge one for me, the free kick incident was absolutely brilliant - I need to see it again really (I wonder if thats going to happen - no CAFC player and I doubt the BBC highlights will be any good!); but it was superb how it very nearly resulted in a decent counter-attack. I thought Hamer looked more confident, made one or two very good saves.

I can't say I saw much of Solly - but when I did it was his usual f'in quality self; and to think he can take pretty good corners as well - is there anything this lad can't do?! Probably cemented himself as my favourite player in the past few months, but the whole team this year has resulted in a fair few mancrushes - Powell, Solly, Jackson and Yann to name but 4.

I thought N'Guessan looked pretty good at times - he seemed quite pacey, but after not playing match football for a while, and being thrown in the team; it's hard to tell.

Overall, some food for thought regarding our largely unchanged starting 11 recently - it was mixed up a bit last night, and whilst it didn't play the most beautiful of games, it certainly got the job done comfortably and confidently. A shame Sheff Wed equalised in the last minute, as it would've been nice to see them drop a bit - even a draw has opened up the gap a bit again. I wouldn't mind having SUFC second come the Hartlepool match.

@Macronate - A North Upper (H Block) lad myself, but sitting in the NWQ once or twice I noticed what a difference a couple of blocks could make! I'm firmly a H Block'er now..
  • Options
    Posting without reading as usual.

Cometh the hour cometh the man!

If Dany N'Guessian (?spelling) does nothing else for Charlton that strange cross-cum- shot could be pivotal as the resulting goal settled the nerves of the crowd (and players) to give us a bit of breathing space. As an aside his nuisance value in jumping with BWP for the second goal shouldn't be underestimated either.

First half I thought Yeovil (and Dean Parrett in particular) were the better side and I was grateful that we'd scored the goal.

Garry Johnson did us a favour with his substitutions (taking Parrett off) and we gradually took command, Darel Russell in particular impressing me along with Waggy whom was up and down and uncomplainingly spending a lot of time on his least favoured left side.

3 points was what mattered last night and an 11 point cushion with 8 matches left looks encouraging.
  • Options
    much better mate

If you are thinking of making it a perm move let me know, I have a contact for flasks and tarten blankets. :-)

• Options
    much better mate

If you are thinking of making it a perm move let me know, I have a contact for flasks and tarten blankets. :-)

no, won't be making it a perm. i tripped over a flask last night and fell into a sea of tartans, spilling my bovril.

moving to NU next season where the real idiots are.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not great in the first half but thats nerves. Would be happy to have the same team saturday and if JJ is fit swap him on the left. Thought Cort and Russell both had fantastic games.

Great bit of footy for the 3rd. A big point to make is that we grew into the game and the last 15 we were very solid and created a few chances ending in a class goal.

Im driving up saturday morning and cant wait. Nice ground to attend.
  • Options
    I do think Yeovil will be happy to see the back of us, 5 wins and 1 draw against them and scoring 13 goals in the process.
    Very important win which turns a bad run into a good run.

Last two games before last night- a loss at home whilst conceding 4 goals and a draw away where we didn't look great.

Last two games- a draw away from home against a tough to beat Northern side, and an 3-0 spanking dished out to an in-form side.

Roll on Huddersfield.
  • Options
    My first Tuesday night game for donkeys years.

Negs first - The atmosphere was Highbury quiet compared to Saturday games, I put it down to nervousness. Maybe.

Time stops me running through the whole team in detail, however a few stand outs:-

Hamer - Tried to command his area, made some big shouts on easy crosses, still a bit flappy on the tougher ones, great distribution a few times.

Cort - I thought he was great in defense, no nonsense.

Morrison - I wish he would stop giving it the big un to Hamer, in the first half Hamer called and Morro ignored him and he nearly ended up in a mess a la last Saturday, I dont think Morro has much confidence in Hamer?

Big Yann - Outstanding, a class above, MOM by a street.

First Half - Yeovil, were 451and were the better footballing side, we were the usual 442, With the extra man Yeovil played through us, hence us resorting to the big hoof to Yann or the over the top ball to BWP. The fluke goal steadied the ship.
    The second half- the very well worked first goal from the free kick (thanks to the ref who moved the ball back, as Yann was gonna have a pop before the ball was moved back) had Yeovil bring on another striker and they went 442, we then had more space in midfield and started to play a bit resulting in the best move of the match for Russels goal.
    Overall a shaky ragged nervous game, with new players in, I think we lose the balance of the team when JJ is absent. I rather think Powell looked at this game and reckoned he could rest JJ, if so yet another wise move by the Boss.

I think we can now go to Udders buoyed with a clean sheet and I expect JJ to be back.

No one said promotion was gonna be pretty! Believe.

COYR

Other highlight - Waggy nicking the ball at their freekick on the edge of our area, hilarious.
  • Options
    Didn't go last night-was at the LMA dinner with Curbs amongst others but punched the air when the MC Jim ROsenthal read out the half-time and full-time scores.

Huge result and gives us a bit of a safety net should Huddersfield prove a tough place to visit on Saturday. Os are in free-fall at the moment so we should be able to beat them next Saturday which means we'd be getting very close to the promised land.

Great to see Powell decided to shake things up. The one criticism I think that can be made of him this season is that he's been a bit slow to change things when they weren't going quite how we'd hoped-ie. substitutions and team changes (little bit like Curbs actually).

Sounds like Cort was the star man last night so Taylor will have to work hard to win his place back and with BWP back on his goal a game diet things are looking a lot less jittery this morning-you Reds!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Charlton-Athletic-3-Yeovil-Town-0-Glovers/story-15568433-detail/story.html
    Some quality journalism here. Seem to have a bit of a problem identifying Scott Wagstaff, who apprently resembles both Darel Russell and Yann Kermogant:
    A poorly-executed free kick routine almost presented Athletic with a chance midway through the period. Gavin Williams looked to tee up Parrett from 30 yards, but the midfielder's run-up allowed Darel Russell to steal possession and launch a fruitless counter-attack.
    And again:
    Scott Wagstaff was left practically unmarked at the far post at a wide free kick and nodded back across goal to leave Wright-Phillips the simplest of close range headers.
  • Options
    That Somerset local rag report was pretty disparaging of Yeovile, commenting on their laid back defending and lack of urgency. Then the next headline gave us a clue why:

"Caravan concealed underground cannabis bunker on Somerset farm"

Way out, man!
  • Options
    As for the match itself, I was pleased that SCP decided to make a few changes but still thought we looked nervous, even after the first goal went in. Hamer and Morrison had clearly had a breakdown in their relationship as you could see that Morro had no confidence in Hamer, especially after Hamer decided to kick it straight to a Yeovil player in our own half and was bloody lucky that they didn't hoof it straight back into an empty goal. We seemed to lack energy and want to pay head tennis for most of the 1st half and can consider ourselves lucky to have gone in ahead.

Second half SCP had clearly had words. We were chasing and harassing more, and were putting in tackles and winning second balls far more than in the first half. We also played it on the ground and used both wings far more effectively. We looked a totally different side and thoroughly deserved the two goals we scored in that half.

I thought Cort was excellent and can see him continuing ahead of Taylor. Other than the flukey but excellent goal, N'Guessan showed willing and with some match fitness I think he could be a useful addition. Nice to see Russell back in midfield. Thought he was quiet in first half but grew into the game. Waggy was back to his industrious best, full of running, some excellent tackling back, winning the free kick for BWP's goal and charging down a potentially dangerous Yeovil free kick in the first half. The contrast with Green was quite startling when they were both on the pitch. Didn't see Green win or even contest a tackle, no pace or energy but played some lovely through balls. If only we could combine the two players!!

BWP had an excellent game, putting himself about, scoring and generally giving their #4 a torrid time. Yann was superb as ever and the two full backs had quiet first halves but were much livelier in the second half, as was Hollands.

Overall, a decent enough game and we deserved the 3 points. With Wednesday slipping up I think it was a good night for us.
  • Options
    'generally giving their #4 a torrid time' Absolutely. Whenever Bradley put him under even the slightest pressure in the second half, he was hoofing straight into the East Stand.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    My spies at the match tell me Yeovil were yet another team that lined up 4-5-1 with 3 CMs in the middle, against our 2.

It was only once Yeovil went 2 goals down, took Dean Parrett off and brought on an additional forward and changing formation to 4-4-2, that Charlton finally dominated the midfield.

It does seem that while CP has persisted with 4-4-2, we still continue to struggle against teams playing with the extra midfielder.

Maybe with Yann dropping into the hole during the 2nd half, that has in effect given our midfield extra options - and is the way to go now?
  • Options
    Hamer's block doesn't count as shot was straight at him according to ooh aah's rules. : - )
    i thought it was hand(s) to ball rather than ball smashed straight at fat body but i stand corrected