Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Addicks v's Yeovil - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2012
    noticed last night that the Yeovil defence hardly ever passed back to their goalie - strange?
  • Options
    My spies at the match tell me Yeovil were yet another team that lined up 4-5-1 with 3 CMs in the middle, against our 2.

It was only once Yeovil went 2 goals down, took Dean Parrett off and brought on an additional forward and changing formation to 4-4-2, that Charlton finally dominated the midfield.

It does seem that while CP has persisted with 4-4-2, we still continue to struggle against teams playing with the extra midfielder.

Maybe with Yann dropping into the hole during the 2nd half, that has in effect given our midfield extra options - and is the way to go now?
    I would be more than happy to see us go 4-5-1 at Huddersfield on Saturday but that would mean dropping BWP as he can't play the lone striker role. Yann definitely could but I don't think too many of the travelling hordes (!) would be happy to BWP not starting now he's back scoring a goal a game...
  • Options
    http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Charlton-Athletic-3-Yeovil-Town-0-Glovers/story-15568433-detail/story.html
    Some quality journalism here. Seem to have a bit of a problem identifying Scott Wagstaff, who apprently resembles both Darel Russell and Yann Kermogant:
    A poorly-executed free kick routine almost presented Athletic with a chance midway through the period. Gavin Williams looked to tee up Parrett from 30 yards, but the midfielder's run-up allowed Darel Russell to steal possession and launch a fruitless counter-attack.
    And again:
    Scott Wagstaff was left practically unmarked at the far post at a wide free kick and nodded back across goal to leave Wright-Phillips the simplest of close range headers.
    So Waggy lost his freekicmk interception, but gained the excellent leap and header for the 2nd goal.
    That's ironic, as the interview in the programme mentioned how everyone had been taking the mick out of Waggy after his wondergoal earlier in the season was mistakenly given to Stephens!
    Waggy, the man of a 1000 faces.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I don't think it is necessary to go 4-5-1 at Huddersfield (they usually play 2 up front anyway).

The key is not to play Yann as the lone striker and drop BWP, but just play Yann in the hole (like during the 2nd half v Yeovil)...... in effect he becomes the 3rd man in midfield and the 2nd striker.

4-4-1-1 formation.
  • Options
    edited March 2012

• Options

• Options
    I don't think it is necessary to go 4-5-1 at Huddersfield (they usually play 2 up front anyway).

The key is not to play Yann as the lone striker and drop BWP, but just play Yann in the hole (like during the 2nd half v Yeovil)...... in effect he becomes the 3rd man in midfield and the 2nd striker.

4-4-1-1 formation.
    Can't disagree with that. Here's hoping for a point at least and possibly all three.

• Options
    That's about the tenth thread you've posted this point on, Oggy ;-)
    Careful - you're nearly getting as repetitive as Oohaah!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    lol Weegie.

Is it really the 10th time?...... I didn't realise people were totting up!

This time, I was just replying to Kinveachy why we don't need to play 4-5-1 at Huddersfield, dropping BWP.
  • Options
    The players started the game with nerves, it is evident that this run of form has been more about bottle and testicular fortitude than the quality of player on the pitch, we were too keen in the early stages of the game to play the ball forward from the edge of our box or in our box if Hamer had the ball to the edge of the oppostition box within 1 or 2 passes, it creates a nervous style of play and is playing into the strengths of others,

DNG scored from a cross without a doubt but i am just glad it went in, however we reverted to type and for some reason it was not until the last 5 mins of the 1st half that we actually slowed the pace down strung more than 3 passes together and retained possesion in a patient way to try and build from the back,

Danny Hollands stopped losing the ball or over/under hitting passes from very early in the 2nd half, and he also had a snap back in his tackles, from that moment we relaxed as a team started to play foortball and scored 2 more good goals to put the game to bed

it was a tough match in which Yeovil done well, but for me the main point other than Hollands turning in an excellent 2nd half was that save from Ben Hamer, it was a match winning save truely brilliant

had that gone in i think we wouldve lost the game

This was the game I saw.

Great result and well done to the players and staff but lets be honest, the first half performance was actually slightly worse than Colchester and Notts County. The only difference was that we scored from a freakish long range effort rather than the opposition.

Saint Chris worked some magic at half time and all ended in smiles but this was no stroll in the park and Huddersfield will be a totally different proposition.

Those players can see the promised land in sight and are quite naturally nervous about stumbling at the last (as are most of us).

Despite impressive support, it was the most unconvincing rendition of "We are going up, I say we are going up" I have ever heard in my life.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    that save from Ben Hamer, it was a match winning save truely brilliant

had that gone in i think we wouldve lost the game

that was a very important moment

still not into hamers kicking like others , yes there are some decent ones but some dgy dangerous ones as well and i don't think he has the long overarm throw in his armoury which is a big weapon for a keeper and when he does throw it a couple of times i think he is very close to releasing the ball outside the box and may give a handball away but linos aren't that sharp to be on that

One dodgy kick. Aside from the goal the other week he rarely gets it wrong.

That pass to Wiggins last night (and several other times this season) - WORLD CLASS. There I've said it. The speed of that pass as it covered 70 or 80 yards and was right into his path is world class.

How many keepers do you see that can do that?

Not saying he's perfect but that was genuinely awesome

• Options
    Agree with Swisdom. That kick to Wiggins was a thing of beauty.

I sometimes wish he would throw the ball more often/quickly and he did do a pretty dodgy pass to Morro (I think) who was immediately put under pressure.

But he does some beautiful, pinpoint low kicks.
  • Options
    Agree with Swisdom. That kick to Wiggins was a thing of beauty.

I sometimes wish he would throw the ball more often/quickly and he did do a pretty dodgy pass to Morro (I think) who was immediately put under pressure.

But he does some beautiful, pinpoint low kicks.
    His throwing is pants and needs to be looked at. Even the overhead one he did is of no use to Solly as it's bouncing. What he needs is a flatter "javelin" style throw that spins the ball along the ground to the player.

Long range isn't an issue but he needs to be able to throw out to his full backs but it needs to be delivered in such a way that the defender isn't straight under pressure

• Options
    As for the match itself, I was pleased that SCP decided to make a few changes but still thought we looked nervous, even after the first goal went in. Hamer and Morrison had clearly had a breakdown in their relationship as you could see that Morro had no confidence in Hamer, especially after Hamer decided to kick it straight to a Yeovil player in our own half and was bloody lucky that they didn't hoof it straight back into an empty goal. We seemed to lack energy and want to pay head tennis for most of the 1st half and can consider ourselves lucky to have gone in ahead.
    I think this all stems from way back this season, I can't recall the exact game but I do remember Hamer and Morro having a big old barney. Since then I have noticed what seems to be a lack of trust between the two.

For me I agree with most on here, wasn't a great 1st half, improved the 2nd. Had my doubts about Cort before but was pushing Yann and Russell for my mom. Hamer does continue to worry me though, I know we won so not really moaning as such it's just I guess I don't have total confidence in him. Generally I think his shot stopping is fine it's just any time he has to make a decision or take charge of a situation.

Now to sit back and wait for the moaners to start moaning about me moaning when we have won.;-)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
  • Options
    Chrissy was doing his nut on the touchline after that.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Sorry I'm a bit late to the party. Very average first half was followed by a decent second. The important thing is we did the job for 90 minutes though. N'Guessan's early wonder strike defeinitely settled the players and the crowd down and that made life a lot easier. We basically created nothing in the first but Yeovil didn't look like scoring except that one chance that Hamer saved brilliantly. Hamer also hit what I think was the best pass I've seen all season. The perfect weight and bend was like something off FIFA, it was unbelievable. Cort is the best defender you can have on the pitch when you've got a lead to defend as he throws himself at absolutely everything, all while looking weirdly calm. At 2-0 it was obvious with him there they weren't getting by. I've said the rest in the player marks thread but once Russell started motoring in the second Hollands was superb and the thing I was happiest about was how delighted both our loanees were when they scored. Russell looked as happy to get the almost irrelevant third as he did getting what we thought would be the winner in a fractious match against Oldham and N'Guessan looked ecstatic. Far cry from the usual uninterested players we've seen before.

I've just remembered, with regards to Hamer I've noticed one of the things that gets the fans on his back is when he shapes to give out the early throw but then doesn't. The reality is that he gets ready to do it but decides it's too dangerous, which is a good thing, but to most fans it looks like he's just binned a good opportunity to get us going. I'd much rather he wait and not throw the ball to an opposition player but he's inviting the kind of fans who think every loose ball should be challenged and jockeying is laziness to have a go at him, which is a shame

100% effort from the players last night and in the run-in that's the most important thing. Very happy
  • Options
    hamer kicked one straight to the oppo striker along the floor last night from his hands, the fella was 45 yards out and pony so we got away with that
  • Options
    Sorry I'm a bit late to the party. Very average first half was followed by a decent second. The important thing is we did the job for 90 minutes though. N'Guessan's early wonder strike defeinitely settled the players and the crowd down and that made life a lot easier. We basically created nothing in the first but Yeovil didn't look like scoring except that one chance that Hamer saved brilliantly. Hamer also hit what I think was the best pass I've seen all season. The perfect weight and bend was like something off FIFA, it was unbelievable. Cort is the best defender you can have on the pitch when you've got a lead to defend as he throws himself at absolutely everything, all while looking weirdly calm. At 2-0 it was obvious with him there they weren't getting by. I've said the rest in the player marks thread but once Russell started motoring in the second Hollands was superb and the thing I was happiest about was how delighted both our loanees were when they scored. Russell looked as happy to get the almost irrelevant third as he did getting what we thought would be the winner in a fractious match against Oldham and N'Guessan looked ecstatic. Far cry from the usual uninterested players we've seen before.

I've just remembered, with regards to Hamer I've noticed one of the things that gets the fans on his back is when he shapes to give out the early throw but then doesn't. The reality is that he gets ready to do it but decides it's too dangerous, which is a good thing, but to most fans it looks like he's just binned a good opportunity to get us going. I'd much rather he wait and not throw the ball to an opposition player but he's inviting the kind of fans who think every loose ball should be challenged and jockeying is laziness to have a go at him, which is a shame100% effort from the players last night and in the run-in that's the most important thing. Very happy
    Elliot did the same often and the problem is also that our players are sometimes slow to show as an option as well as the danger aspect you refer to.
  • Options
    Wednesday need to get 11 points from their remaining 8 games just to be where we are now. If we average a meagre point a game they will need 19 points from 8 games - quite a tough ask I would say and I think we should do better than a point a game!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wednesday need to get 11 points from their remaining 8 games just to be where we are now. If we average a meagre point a game they will need 19 points from 8 games - quite a tough ask I would say and I think we should do better than a point a game!
    but we wanna win the league as well!

• Options
    Another thing I noticed last night was Waggy's crossing. I read his interview in the programme and he acknowledged that Green is in the team for his crossing abiltity and he's have to show he had that in his arsenal to keep his place. Cue Waggy attempting to whip the ball in more than usual yesterday. This is a very good thing. For me the problem hasn't always been Waggy's inability to cross, it's that his crossing is pretty much 50/50 but he doesn't attempt them enough to get a decent success ratio. 40 bad crosses and 1 good one that leads to a goal is actually fine by me, and I think he'll benefit from just hitting it more. He properly shanked a good opportunity after he chased down their free kick but he also put a couple of decent balls over. The Green competition could be the best thing that's happened to Waggy
  • Options
    4 wins kills off Wednesday, 5 wins finishes off United. Got a sneaky feeling we will get 3 points at 'Udders, and then the pressure will be on the Sheffield clubs for second place
  • Options
    Very good, sound professional performance. Like earlier in the season. Everyone played well (unlike recently) & we were definitely more solid with Russell in place of Stephens. (I know Russell played at Scunny). Solidity, was also helped by Kermy dropping deeper at times to bolster the midfield.

Cort was excellent (MOM) & Kermy ran him close.

Hollands & Wiggy had their best games for weeks.

Hamer, Solly, Russell, Wagstaff, N'Guessen & BWP all played well.

Morro did well but not at his best & distribution wasn't great.

Didn't see Waggy whinging or throwing himself to the ground, for the first time in ages. Well done.

Well done to CP, the players & the fans.

We're nearly there. Another 6 points will get us up IMO, although we won't know that until later, when the Sheff's lose some.

Very happy. Last night was crucial & we came through it.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    first half was awful and i fancied myself to still have a professional football career to look forward to as i watched 22 players worse than me, thankfully for us yeovil were atrocious.

n'guessan didn't really impress, saw poor touch and lack of fitness but pleased to see a shite cross go straight in. wagstaff was a lot of huff and puff again but didn't really achieve anything. the chase down from their freekick being his highlight but as he raced clear he just pumped the cross into nowhere. russel, hmmm not convinced yet but well worked goal that he did well to get onto the scoresheet.

wiggings didn't really get going till the second half when he started to get forward more and we suddenly looked quite dangerous, only him and solly were the only players in the side able to cross the ball or take corners in the first half so with him restricted we were always struggling to create.

atmosphere was poor but i enjoyed the upper north mocking 100's of charlton fans streaming for the exits after celebrating our third with - "we can see you sneaking out"

won't be long till we get out of this pub league
  • Options
    hamer kicked one straight to the oppo striker along the floor last night from his hands, the fella was 45 yards out and pony so we got away with that

No Cort was quicker to react and got goal side quicker than any centre half we have had in ages thats why he didnt take advantage of it

• Options
    Generally amazed by some of the lowish marks given to Hamer on the players marks thread and people there and here commenting on one poor kick.

Yes it was poor but there were many positives about his performance last night. Was a busy boy in the goal for a 3-0, with numerous comfortable saves that could easily have been spilt. His kicking as some do point out is on the whole brilliant. Best we have ever had at the club in my opinion. The players need to make themselves available for him to pass or throw to. Wiggy did that with a great sprint in that one instance.

If Solly or Kermorgant make one poor mistake it's forgiven but for Hamer or BWP it's like a red rag to the bull for many.

He is a decent keeper at this level and will improve a lot more as we hopefully progress into the Championship.
  • Options
    Hamer made a save at 1 nil that won us the match FACT

Anyone that fails to recognise that does not understand football

• Options
    Hamer made a save at 1 nil that won us the match FACT

Anyone that fails to recognise that does not understand football

Completely
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    We played well enough to get the job done without really coming out of 2nd gear.

I'm more than pleased with the result and we can build on this to get promotion.

COYR!