Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Liam Stacey.

Comments

• Options
    u said it was typical Daily Mail blah blah

if it was the other way round there would have been marches in the street questions on the BBC question time and front page of the Guardian.
  • Options
    Jimmy...The problem with a racial charge is proving it, unfortunately for Liam Stacey he thoughtfully spelt it out for the entire world to see so has no defence. Technically his language has to be "threatening, abusive or insulting" to be a racially motivated crime and I think there should be no debate that what he said fell into the "insulting" category.

In the other case it would have been harder, but not impossible to prove. Whether they committed the crime because the victim was white is what the prosecution would have to demonstrate and on a quick butchers at the case I can't determine that one way or the other, although in the heat of committing the crime they certainly used a racially charged expression. There's a fine line here. My guess is that the CPS dropped the racially motivated element for this reason and as above a bit of plea bargaining most likely went on outside the court with their agreeing to plead guilty to a lesser offence rather than risk a heavier sentence and maybe the racial element got dropped as part of the negotiations.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
  • Options
    Was thinking the same things Chunes, well put.
  • Options
    BFR - the maximum penalty for s.20 (Grevious Bodily Harm) is the same as for Actual Bodily Harm. If it is GBH with intent to cause GBH then the maximum is life imprisonment.

For those who think that the CPS may have opted for the ABH rather than GBH, the charge preferred will depend on the extent of the seriousness of the injuries (as set out in a medical report and not in the victim's perception) but of course plea bargaining (sometimes known as charge bargaining) and 'fact' bargaining do go on even if the CPS doesn't outwardly admit it. Fact bargaining is where the CPS leave out some damaging comments in exchange for a plea, even though the charge remains the same. Plea bargaining is an acceptance of a plea to a lesser offence or dropping a number of charges in exchange for a plea. Sometimes this is done to save a victim having to give evidence but of course may also be done to save the cost of a trial and the potential acquittal of a defendant. I would finally add that it is not unknown for a judge to put pressure on the prosecutor to accept a lesser plea especially where accompanied with an indication that the sentence will be the same.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    What did chunes say to get deleted?

Interesting conversation so far.
    blah
  • Options
    What did chunes say to get deleted?

Interesting conversation so far. But some points of views come from their bubbles.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Repeat... ad finitum
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What did Curb it say to get deleted ?
  • Options
  • Options
    What did I say to get deleted?
  • Options
  • Options
    exactly
  • Options
    haha, where is the flipping edit button on the phones? i couldnt delete my original and kept pressing quote instead of edit.

• Options
    With a glass in your other hand?????
  • Options
    yes chirps. Was Thursday night after all.
  • Options
    Top work!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah ha...........reasuring to see I'm not the only one who has problems with computer technology!!!!
  • Options
    And drinking
  • Options
    And drinking
    ?

• Options
    he's taking the pee out of me soundas.
  • Options
    he's taking the pee out of me soundas.
    Ah, ok Bren.

• Options
    Defend her honour soundas
  • Options
    Defend her honour soundas
    Bren's honour.......well now let me think about that one!!

Seriously............she loves a nice pub and that's good enough for me.

• Options
    Liam Stacey has lost his appeal.
  • Options
  • Options