Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Petrol Strike- Will It Happen?

Comments

• Options
    Meanwhile in America.....I filled up my VW at the weekend for $52 (£33) and they are going crazy over here about rising fuel prices??!!
  • Options
    I've thought for many years that "Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds" by Charles Mackay should be required reading at secondary schools.

It's mainly about financial bubbles and the way people follow the herd without questioning why, but watching some of the idiots trying to force their way into my local Shell garage earlier the book applies equally as well to the current situation.

Personally, I have a hunch that the strike won't happen.
  • Options
    I see Floyd has broke cover then. It's not wrong to come out and say that your party if choice is making a cock up you know, they don't keep records or turn up in the night.

As I explained eleswhere I and many othes, including my wife both need a car to get to work and to be able to do our jobs. Thanks to Come Dine With Dave et al and his, at best ill considered advice, my wife today cannot perform her planned duties a will many of her colleagues. Perhaps if were your appointment cancelled or your parents who didn't get the care they should when they should you might understand why somepeoples need for fuel aremore important than the average pensioner or yummy mummy?
    Ah yes `broke cover` cos its a war right innit? What are you like?

My party, if its anything to do with someone as selfish and blinkered as your recent posts suggest you are, is the Liberal party, and yes, I do think they are doing a good moderating job, not that it seems relevant to this discussion, so I have no idea why you have to bring it up.

I dont believe that your family duties cannot be fulfilled.
    Why? Becase there is no fuel in Bournemouth? Really?
    I just so happened to drive down Jumpers Lane, Christchurch this morning and after a 10 minute wait for ladies filling 5 litre fuel cans magically filled my tank to get home.
    Could your problem stem from the fact that you cant be arsed to wait a while to fill up?

I didnt say some people need fuel more than others, did I? Stick to the point eh?
    You assumed others needs werent as important as yours. Re read your post - the sentence
    ''Knee deep in wally's filling up The Rover with petrol so it can stay parked and not moving on their drive for the next month.'' is a clue. you assuming mothers dont need their car to pick up their kids simply underlines your blinkered intolerance.
  • Options
    Meanwhile in America.....I filled up my VW at the weekend for $52 (£33) and they are going crazy over here about rising fuel prices??!!
    big motor car in America .. everything big in America .. we like to be in America .. everything free in America
  • Options
    In a generation of swine, the one eyed pig is king.
  • Options
    Was there a queue?

• Options
    Who is to blame for this?
    I'm so angry

• Options
    I have filled up my tank just in case. You never know what's going to happen in the country. Just like my mum has been using the hose this week because the hose pipe ban is coming soon.
  • Options
    To save petrol I'm going to buy tons of stamps before they go up and then just post myself to wherever I want to go.
  • Options
    Heard on the radio tonight they might have the pow wow with the unions on Monday , 7 days to inforce a strike , means Bank Hol Mon, Happy days at Oldham???

Can anyone up north particularly if your near the Manchester area let us know what petrol supplies are like up there please?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I run out I run out.Iam past caring!
  • Options
    It's all a secret plan to stimulate the economy...come on people, spend, spend, spend!

Tomorrow we tell everyone there is going to be a booze shortage, next day a food shortage, and then on and on until they are panic buying garden furniture due to the impending 'garden furniture storage' cannily leaked by the government.

We'll be out of recession by next Tuesday. Job done!
  • Options
    Must pay more attention to the news.

I've spent all morning panic buying pasties.
    Hahaha!
  • Options
    Can anyone please tell me why talks on the fuel strikes are not being held until Monday? Would settling the dispute not stop panic buying?

Ps - I hope the undertakers go on strike then the tw@ts might start panic dying!!!
  • Options
    Jumpers Lane? Where is that? My journey from home in New Milton to Poole I drive past 7 petrol stations, ALL of them were either out of fuel or had people queuing out onto to the roads. It is absolutely ridiculous. It is never like that!

I'm with BA on this one. Some people do need fuel legitimately but it's sodding carnage. The ones I went past were not even close to a 10 minute wait, and even if they are have some consideration to people that are trying to get home, get places instead of sitting in the road creating god knows how much extra traffic. A bit of common sense is certainly missing around these parts at the moment.
  • Options
    Sounds worse in Dorset from what you guys say. Perhaps it is lack of good alternative transport options ?
  • Options
    great tactic by the torys--- start a panic and people forget the shit budget and the money for access shit.

So the choice next time vote for the anti English scum bags or the other lot who dont give a rats arse about anyone who isnt minted-----------------------sad sad sad. Time to weep (again) for my country.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I see Floyd has broke cover then. It's not wrong to come out and say that your party if choice is making a cock up you know, they don't keep records or turn up in the night.

As I explained eleswhere I and many othes, including my wife both need a car to get to work and to be able to do our jobs. Thanks to Come Dine With Dave et al and his, at best ill considered advice, my wife today cannot perform her planned duties a will many of her colleagues. Perhaps if were your appointment cancelled or your parents who didn't get the care they should when they should you might understand why somepeoples need for fuel aremore important than the average pensioner or yummy mummy?
    Ah yes `broke cover` cos its a war right innit? What are you like?

My party, if its anything to do with someone as selfish and blinkered as your recent posts suggest you are, is the Liberal party, and yes, I do think they are doing a good moderating job, not that it seems relevant to this discussion, so I have no idea why you have to bring it up.

I dont believe that your family duties cannot be fulfilled.
    Why? Becase there is no fuel in Bournemouth? Really?
    I just so happened to drive down Jumpers Lane, Christchurch this morning and after a 10 minute wait for ladies filling fuel cans magically filled my tank to get home.
    Could your problem stem from the fact that you cant be arsed to wait a while to fill up?

I didnt say some people need fuel more than others, did I? Stick to the point eh?
    You assumed others needs werent as important as yours. Re read your post - the sentence
    ''Knee deep in wally's filling up The Rover with petrol so it can stay parked and not moving on their drive for the next month.'' is a clue. you assuming mothers dont need their car to pick up their kids simply underlines your blinkered intolerance.
    @Floyd Montana firstly I'm going to ignore the personal attack on me because frankly it's beneath us both and you're just trying to get a raise. I've been posting long enough on here to establish that I'm not one for name calling and generally respectful of others views even if I disagree with them.

I take you are in Dorset currently then? Great, make sure you spend loads of money locally and it's a fabulous evening so have a good break.

This being the case maybe you took the opportunity to purchase a copy of the local paper containing numerous reports of fuel shortages, long queues, customers going at each other and police having to attend stations to sort out the traffic? Your suggestion seems to be that I have in some way exagerated the situtation for my own bizarre reason. Did I make those reports up then?

Now, you were fortunate enough that your wait at a petrol station (that is not particularly close to me btw) was only held up by ladies filling up spare cans, which I'd suggest is evidence in itself that there's a problem. I've been out an about doing my job today I can tell you for a fact that there are very lengthy queues outside every petrol station I and my colleagues passed. There still are now btw. Maybe I also made that up and in fact the situation isn't as bad as reported then?

Did I also make up the report on the radio tonight with an interview with a senior Dorset police officer appealing for calm in the county and stating that he had ordered the closure of some garages because customers were creating dangerous conditions and generally things getting overheated? Did I also make up the report from the Dorset petrol store owner stating customers were banging on the doors 2 hours before opening begging for fuel ? Did I make up all the reports nationally or Polo's experience above, because I'm basically a bit lazy and couldn't be bothered to give it ten minutes? Or did I do the sensible thing and not wishing to add to the problem make alternative arrangements?

I know you'll correct me but my interpretation of your opening statement seems to be that little of this mess is the fault of the government, with the exception of "one off the cuff remark by one thoughtless minister". In fact, as others have pointed out not only has the PM been pushing the "fill up now" message but many other members of his cabinet and party are too. The alternative view to the cause of the current situation, which you seem to share, is that somehow, every single driver in the UK has overnight become aware of the dispute and despite there being no timescale discussed, little details around the actual issues at hand and any potential industrial action being some time off, has unilaterally decided to fill up as a result. I think the marketing exec's would bite their own arm off to be able to influence 10's millions of consumers to go out and spend large amounts of money over night.

As for the issue of who needs fuel more, I make no bones about it, yes there clearly are fuel users who are more important than others. Would you prefer a heart surgeon to have to take a day off because they can't get to work for instance? I'm not saying I'm anywhere near the top of the list, that would be ridiculous of course but I do need to be mobile to do my job. I also know the demographic of the conurbation and we have an huge retired population locally. Do they really need to squeeze an extra £7 of fuel in, which is what is going on? £7...not £70.
  • Options
    I need petrol. Just been to 4 stations at 8pm and queues are out the door. Idiots.
  • Options
    I need petrol. Just been to 4 stations at 8pm and queues are out the door. Idiots.
    Yep, me too, I'm on vapour but was too tired to queue, so an early start tomorrow then...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had to fill up yesterday as off to Canterbury tomorrow , will be interesting to see if there's any fuel left when i get back!
  • Options
    Just follow government advice like me and fill every room of your house/flat up with fuel filled gerricans. Then, you and your children can sleep soundly and smugly in your beds. Right, time for a fag. Night night everyone; see you Saturday.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Just follow government advice like me and fill every room of your house/flat up with fuel filled gerricans. Then, you and your children can sleep soundly and smugly in your beds. Right, time for a fag. Night night everyone; see you Saturday.
    Funny you should say that... i was thinking i could kill 2 birds with 1 stone .... ie buy a waterbutt , fill it up with petrol , & use it to avert the forthcoming 'crisis' and then i can use it to avert the hosepipe ban , problem is i'm thinking of taking it in the car to Oldham with us , might have to keep a window or two open on the way up there , still at least the kids will sleep!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    took me an hour to get fuel today!

qued up for half an hour behind this landrover who filled up the whole tank. followed him back to his house. waited 20 miniutes. syphoned his fuel.
    an hour. bloody ridiculous.

• Options
    It's all a secret plan to stimulate the economy...come on people, spend, spend, spend!

Tomorrow we tell everyone there is going to be a booze shortage, next day a food shortage, and then on and on until they are panic buying garden furniture due to the impending 'garden furniture storage' cannily leaked by the government.

We'll be out of recession by next Tuesday. Job done!
    bigstemarra absolutely correct, literally just heard on the radio news panic buying has already added some ridiculous amount of millions in extra tax revenue, I'm sure I heard something like £186m... surely not!!
    This bl***y country
  • Options
    i tried filling a house up with petrol was a wasted effort Ken Livingston had moved.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    GH, I'm starting to think your "burn 'em all" stance is all talk! Filling up a house with petrol would never work - you've got to leave some room for the air. I dunno, do they not teach you about the Triangle of Fire these days?

:-) for the humour impaired
  • Options
    a good point Ali ------ ill remember next time (if i can be arsed to que up for petrol!)
  • Options
    took me an hour to get fuel today!

qued up for half an hour behind this landrover who filled up the whole tank. followed him back to his house. waited 20 miniutes. syphoned his fuel.
    an hour. bloody ridiculous.

Takes a lot to make me laugh at this time in the morning, but you did it. Well played sir.
  • Options
    there will be no shortage, whilst everyone is going mental and filling up the government are pissing themselfs with laughter at just how much money they are making out this.