Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Petrol Strike- Will It Happen?

Comments

• Options
    You can't blame the government because some idiot doesnt realise petrol fumes are flamable.

Nope, but she wouldn't be messing around with it in the first place without their helpful advice would she?

Come on guys, lets be honest here nobody is to blame but herself, no matter what the reason why would anybody be transferring petrol in the house instead of outside.

Thousands of us have petrol mowers, strimmers etc and anyone with an once of common sense would not take the jerry can in and fill these appliances indoors.

They were probably doing it behind closed doors so the neighbours did not see they were stockpiling.....................silly bints!
  • Options
    the masses are asses
  • Options
    Shooters Hill to Maidstone Hospital everyday for work means I need a full tank every week. Going to be very difficult for me with that trip hardly possible on public transport.
  • Options
    Shooters Hill to Maidstone Hospital everyday for work means I need a full tank every week. Going to be very difficult for me with that trip hardly possible on public transport.
    Ouch, I know where you are coming from SHG, I did Bexleyheath to Maidstone for 20 years and the fuel does not last long. I still work in Maidstone but have moved a lot closer so my fuel lasts a bit longer.
  • Options
    Bournemouth
    You seem very keen on confrontation, but yes I do stand by what I`ve written.
    apologies to interrupt the light hearted path this thread has taken

I DID fill up in Christchurch with a short queue, you DID call other people waiting for fuels `wallys` then said you dont indulge in name calling, I HAVE travelled up the motorway today, no queues at the services and none in three of the stations I passed in my home town except at the local supermarket which for some reason has chosen to launch a 6p of a litre.
    I DO think the jerry can off the cuff remark was stupid, as I said initially. All the other advice I`ve heard from ministers seems sensible enough - fill up rather than half fill up is about all I`ve heard, but havent studied much as I`ve been busy.
    I DO think people are unbelievably dim to
    1. Panic buy before the strike - probably memories of the three strikes in the last administrations time which led to far more serious issues
    2. Believe that people are filling up because they were told to fill up not half fill up by a minister
    3. Spill petrol all over the forecourt
    4. Assume they are more important than others, and not think of the children. Wont anyone thnk of the children?
    5. Think that the Bournemouth Echo and its vast array of reporter, as well as other press are doing anything other than making mountains out of molehills to fill the pages
    6. think that the government will get more duty becasue of panic buying - I mean any increase in sales now will be exactly mirrored by decreased revenue later as people with full tanks use what they have
    7. think the government put up prices (beyond the huge usual duties and recent across the board 3p rise) at individual petrol stations as one lister stated
    6. get bored by people who assume they know the politics of others, or who put words into their mouths....oh.... I`ve lost the will to reply to someone who thinks a minister should write a letter to an adult who presumably has their own mind.....

Still, you`ve got to agree its not that serious is it? I mean its not like 586 people have been killed far from home for no reason is it?
  • Options
    Fair enough Floyd, I can't be bothered to go through your post point by point tbh but just to summarise - I and everyone else around in my region remains a liar, whereas in fact none of this is happening subsequent to the governments intervention. What a strange thing to say but hey ho, maybe when you can't get somewhere next week or do your job you might better understand where my frustration at the pish poor leadership we are getting is coming from.

On the subject of seeking confrontation, go back and in the words of my young nephews, I think you'll find it was you wot started it...
  • Options
    I live in Christchurch but I don't drive so doesn't really mean much to me personally. A family member drives to Portsmouth from Christchurch everyday for work and she told me she couldn't get petrol at all yesterday on the way home as all she passed were either queueing down the road or closed so she was having to look at train tickets just in case. The only station I saw myself yesterday was the Shell garage on Barrack Rd in Christchurch and that looked about an hours wait judging by the ridiculous queue.

No idea how it is today though...
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The Tories - the living proof of the benefits - sorry - pitfalls of a public school education. My six-year old could have handled this with more competence than these clowns. What a shower.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I don't follow all the reports but we are on the brink of a technical recession ... OECD predicted it yesterday...but other stories talk of it being touch and go as to whether Jan-March will be down or up...

So a good way to raise consumption just before 31 March quarter end ... tell everyone we might run out of petrol and go and stock up! The AA reckon that the government have made an extra £33M in tax and duty now petrol sales are double (?) their normal amount...

The tax might be buttons but this government does not need the R word being bandied about
  • Options
    It will just mean that they get less revenue later, because no-one is going to use more than they need. Everything should even out in the end.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Fair enough Floyd, I can't be bothered to go through your post point by point tbh but just to summarise - I and everyone else around in my region remains a liar, whereas in fact none of this is happening subsequent to the governments intervention. What a strange thing to say but hey ho, maybe when you can't get somewhere next week or do your job you might better understand where my frustration at the pish poor leadership we are getting is coming from.

On the subject of seeking confrontation, go back and in the words of my young nephews, I think you'll find it was you wot started it...
    Sorry, where did I call you or anyone else a liar?

You said you couldnt get fuel (for vital reasons, obviously) I said within 5 miles or so of you it was available - how does that make me call you a liar.
    If you want to get picky and call me names, you said you couldnt get fuel and that people were queuing for an hour (how did you know the length of time?
    Lets say you saw 100 cars queuing at an average of 5 minutes per car, time of queue would be 12.5 hours. Unless there were say 8 pumps which would make it an hour, allowing time for jerry can spillage moments
    Anyway, if they were queuing, what were they queuing for? 
    What you were really saying is that you didnt want to wait for fuel.
    So not ''I couldnt get fuel'' more a case of ''I didnt want to wait to get it or drive out of my way to get it''. Quite a different thing eh?
    Or are you saying no-one in Dorset could get anywhere or do anything like vital heart transplants......

did you manage to top up you wife's car?
  • Options
    Was in Gillingham today and saw a garage that had fuel. Stopped to put some in to cover driving to the valley tomorrow until I saw the price they were charging.........£1.50 a litre!!

Screw that. I have now booked to go on the valley express............................
  • Options
    Was in Gillingham today and saw a garage that had fuel. Stopped to put some in to cover driving to the valley tomorrow until I saw the price they were charging.........£1.50 a litre!!

Screw that. I have now booked to go on the valley express............................
    Capitalism at its very best.

• Options
    I always suspected Floyd was 90% on the wind up and now you've proved it thanks.

You've spent the last 48 hours trying to justify your particular stance, clearly driven by your political ideology, by ignoring all the evidence, reported 1st hand by myself and many others and in numerous media outlets both local to me and nationally. On more than one occasion you've deliberately misquoted me (I've never said there was no fuel available for instance) because your own point of view, driven by your seeming pathological need to support the coalition, is so very far out of synch I suspect it's now embarrassing to you and you've left yourself nowhere to go. Check out what the head of the AA has been saying in the last 48 hours, it's largely the same as I have including that it’s the government’s fault and some fuel users should take priority so no doubt he is also as “selfish”, “blinkered” and “intolerant” as I am.

When your argument is so weak it's far easier of course to launch a personal attack and try to belittle and twist everything that's been said on the subject regardless of the truth or relevance to your point. On this point well played Floyd I should have just pressed the ignore button some time ago.

Thanks for your concern regarding filling my wife’s car, incidentally I just got in from the garage and did manage to secure enough fuel to fill it up. I took me exactly 1 hour but when I left the queue was longer than when I started and they were shutting the pumps ago. We haven’t used her car since the fuel light came on two days ago but the young man in an old 205 in front of me put precisely £5.00 in his tank…

Our conversation on this subject is over (much to everyone else's relief I'm sure).
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    So you agree I didnt call you a liar then?
    That`s good. Cleared up one of your wild allegations at least. Now about that letter idea of yours....

Glad you got petrol but I thought you said
    ``it can stay parked and not moving on their drive for the next month. ``
    Go eco, and I`m sure you could fill it with bullshit.

• Options
    Over Floyd. Over...
  • Options
    There are some basic facts here:

The Government was getting a tough ride over the Budget - Granny tax- Help for the rich -cornish pasties and it was getting worse by the day.

A union which is the biggest sponser of Labour was threatening what would be an unpopular strike and a nuisance. No matter that it was weeks away at best and likely to be resolved by negotiation with ACAS involved an opportunty was there.

A cynical attempt was made to deflect flack by needlesly highlighting this and scaring the public- all the statements about filling up were associated with the labour party - making what was an industrial dispute a political one. Remember it was weeks away but couldn't be used if it was resoved and they needed it now!

Francis Maude made one of the most reckless statements a politician has made in my memory and was condemed by the fire brigade for potentially endangering people.

Cameron and others distanced themselves from those comments, but didn't desist from the scare mongering which caused a rush on the pumps which has incovenienced us all.

A large portion of the British people are idiots - the fact that these clowns are in power is a testiment to that.

A woman - admittedly one of the above - is seriously ill in hospital

People who need petrol can't get it!!!

And it is all so needless - for me the biggest poilitical scandal for years and I can't believe those responsible are getting away with it so lightly. I think when people really think about those facts, the backlash will grow!

• Options
    Francis Maude - such a friend of the common folk who pay his salary (amongst other things) as this link demonstrates. I knew I had heard his name before.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/shadow-cabinet-expenses/5634015/Francis-Maudes-expenses.html
    I begin to wonder if there are any politicians (all parties before I get the Tory/Labour supporters haranguing me - LibDems are irrelevant) who have the general public's interests at heart.
    He comes across as a complete cretin.
  • Options
    I have voted at every election since I was 18 but do you know what. Next time I doubt I will be arsed. All a waste of space.
  • Options
    Hard to argue with that sentiment
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tesco superstore by the old Klinger building. Fuel galore (no diesel)
  • Options
    Blimey... Floyd and bournemouth need to get a room... night all. X
  • Options
    Respect for Tory MP Bernard Jenkings who admitted the panic was stoked up to deflect from the rough time the Government was getting. There are a few decent honest politicians on all sides. Unfortunately those running the country are not fit to. Clowns like Francis Maude should be booted out of government with a flea in his ear for starters.
  • Options
    Boot out someone elected by the public, seems fair.
  • Options
    I got some diesel on the A20 at the BP garage next to the Drive Through Mc Donalds last night if that helps anyone. 148.9 but couldn't find any elsewhere.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I got some diesel on the A20 at the BP garage next to the Drive Through Mc Donalds last night if that helps anyone. 148.9 but couldn't find any elsewhere.
    Glad you will be going to the game Len every blanket voice counts! I just knew you would resolve your dilemma!
  • Options
    Glad you will be going to the game Len every blanket voice counts! I just knew you would resolve your dilema!
    Yes I'll be there to watch Kevin Lisbie win me some money with a display of clinical striking

:-)
  • Options
    Atta boy (poetic license) I'll put my money on Mooney then!
  • Options
    So what are the Con/Dems going to do for April Fools Day?
  • Options
    Some seem to forget that if the tanker driver's union hadn't called for a strike in the first place none of this would have happened. It still hasn't been called off and if they do strike this will happen all over again. It is human nature to want to protect yourself from shortages, whether the Government suggests buying extra fuel or not, people will still try to protect themselves from a fuel shortage.