Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Petrol Strike- Will It Happen?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    I think the whole thing is a bit of a shambles and Frannie Maude should go , he seems out of his depth, the government were always on a hiding to nothing whatever they did, if they said don't panic at the start, the strike was called and no one had any fuel people would have turned around and said why didn't you give us some notice, like others I'm of the view that this is a cunning plan to get some cash in the coffers.

A question I want to know is if I can get petrol locally do you think I'll be able to get fuel in Oldham next weekend to get back?

Do the motorway services never run out?
  • Options
    I got some diesel on the A20 at the BP garage next to the Drive Through Mc Donalds last night if that helps anyone. 148.9 but couldn't find any elsewhere.
    Shhhhhhhhhh Len, keep that one a secret.............I go there on a regular basis.

• Options
    I don't understand the whole cash in the coffers arguement, if you need the fuel then surely you need it, so if you buy it this week or next the government gets the money either way.
  • Options
    I don't understand the whole cash in the coffers arguement, if you need the fuel then surely you need it, so if you buy it this week or next the government gets the money either way.
    Correct Stu.....and anyway, although the sums being mentioned sound huge they are in reality quite small in comparison to the tax paid to HMC on a daily basis for all manner of things.

• Options
    Correct Stu.....and anyway, although the sums being mentioned sound huge they are in reality quite small in comparison to the tax paid to HMC on a daily basis for all manner of things.

Next week is a different month.
  • Options
    I agree. I think a real issue is that we may technically be in a recession if there was negative growth in this quarter as well as last. The extra money being spent this week on fuel may have prevented a technical recession. Perhaps say 0.1% growth instead of a 0.1 % contraction.
  • Options

Next week is a different month.
    Not just a different month, but a new financial year, so that extra income may make the figures for q4 look a little more respectable.

• Options
    Now we have the Tory party boasting about this being their "Thatcher moment" and are/were using the strike to indulge in a bit of union bashing:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/9176237/Even-Im-starting-to-wonder-what-do-this-lot-know-about-anything.html

I'm not so sure that boasting about the opportunity was very wise though...
  • Options
    Now we have the Tory party boasting about this being their "Thatcher moment" and are/were using the strike to indulge in a bit of union bashing:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/9176237/Even-Im-starting-to-wonder-what-do-this-lot-know-about-anything.html

I'm not so sure that boasting about the opportunity was very wise though...
    I can see what the govt may have been trying to achieve & said so, probably, on the other "fuel" thread.
    It's pretty simple isn't it. If they're going to strike, it won't necessarily be a success, if people have plenty of fuel & can ride out the strike. You can't disagree with the logic. It was the execution by Maude talking about jerry cans, that tipped it too far.
    Obviously, the govt weren't expecting such a panic.
  • Options
    I have no confidence or trust in any politician any more. Every single one of them is joined to the party whip by an umbilical cord and they are devoid of any individuality. I want a politician with the principles to say what he actually thinks based on his ideals not to tow the party line regardless. The House is filled with bland self serving career clones. Very unlikely to vote in an election again in my lifetime is how I feel about things right now. The exception might be the for London Mayor where both real candidates are at least politicians in the real sense that are not afraid to speak out or make a mistake. For that alone I respect both Boris and Ken.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This is one of those times when I would like to see Maggie coming round the corner !
    Sorry Granpa, I think Henry put paid to that hope a while back...
    Last fuel drivers strike I buried a dinosaur in the Garden so I'm laughing.

As for this mess, not a surprise. Buries the cash for access scandal and the almost certain fact that we are in a technical recession again. A weak, spineless government, a toothless opposition and a large number of the populace unable to find the common sense they were born with.

• Options
    Meeting today to decide , any news yet?