Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Petrol Strike- Will It Happen?

Comments

• Options
    This is one of those times when I would like to see Maggie coming round the corner !
  • Options
    Had to go to 4 poxy petrol stations last night before I found one with diesel.

The government are said to be making an extra £32m in tax every day due to people panicking and filling up
  • Options
    Last fuel drivers strike I buried a dinosaur in the Garden so I'm laughing.
  • Options
    Woman on question time asked Sarah Teather if the fire brigade union had threatened to go on strike whether the government would advise everyone to set light to their houses before it happened. Minister looked a bit lost.
  • Options
    she was hopeless that mp, watched all of QT last night and she clearly had no idea, saying one minute not to panic then the next to go fill up, clearly no sense of humour either, even got annoyed with the labour guy, polticians what ever party are all toss pots, alexi sayle actually made me laugh a few times.
  • Options
    Agree about the MP how dim witted was she? This has probably been the biggest own goal the coalition has scored so far and when you consider the pensions debacle and lowering the 50% tax rate that's quite an achievment. I suspect if there was an election next week they would lose and we would be stuck with Dalek Milliband who so far has been invisible in this whole mess.

Managed to get some unleaded today for the missus who has to go to Ramsgate tomorrow but my local garage has no diesel and no idea when they will get a delivery. Madness!
  • Options
    The sainted Sarah being critiscised, blimey, just need to see Old Trafford empty and I'll be well chuffed.
  • Options
    To be fair, it seems the Tories refused to put up a minister and Sarah Teather was left to defend a government position that is obviously risible. I think she'd have done better to acknowledge that.
  • Options
    Forget the "Government getting extra in tax" nonsense - we were always going to buy the fuel and they were always going to collect the tax.

The timing is meaningless.
  • Options
    To be fair, it seems the Tories refused to put up a minister and Sarah Teather was left to defend a government position that is obviously risible. I think she'd have done better to acknowledge that.
    This is not the time to be reasonable!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Why didn't someone say "It's a joke you silly moo"? Maybe that's why I've never been invited on the show.
    Woman on question time asked Sarah Teather if the fire brigade union had threatened to go on strike whether the government would advise everyone to set light to their houses before it happened. Minister looked a bit lost.
  • Options
    I couldn't get any diesel from 3 garages this morning en route.

I have enough to get home tonight and either to and from the game tomorrow or to and from work on Monday but not both.

My moral dilemma now is do i miss the game to ensure I can get to work on Monday or go to the game anyway and gamble on finding some diesel somewhere over the weekend?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I couldn't get any diesel from 3 garages this morning en route.

I have enough to get home tonight and either to and from the game tomorrow or to and from work on Monday but not both.

My moral dilemma now is do i miss the game to ensure I can get to work on Monday or go to the game anyway and gamble on finding some diesel somewhere over the weekend?
    As you are never overly optimistic about our chances Len I would avoid the stress between 3.00 and 5.00 pm on Saturday, give the game a miss and be sure of making it to work on Monday. How's that for reverse psychology on a 'Reverse Psychologist'!
  • Options
    Just said on the radio news

NO PETROL TANKER DRIVER STRIKE OVER EASTER.

Perhaps that will stop all the idiots queueing to top up there £5 worth.
  • Options

Now could that be because the drivers get double time (or even more maybe?) for working bank holidays I wonder?

• Options

Now could that be because the drivers get double time (or even more maybe?) for working bank holidays I wonder?

Soundas I hope you're not insinuating that the strike maybe political rather than for a worthy cause. (smiley/winky thing)

• Options
    I hope the companies see sense before strike action commences. It is shocking what they have been getting away with. I am fully behind the tanker drivers on this one
    Can you tell me why you're behind this possible strike?

I have no idea what the strike is about.

No further input then CWLC?

• Options
    true.
  • Options
    @Floyd Montana you no doubt have had an opportunity now to check in with this thead and maybe caught a news report, read a paper or seen what's going on for yourself.

Simple question, are you still sticking to your view that it's not the governments fault and that in reality things are not as bad as reported?

(I'm not going to even bother asking for an apology for your implication that I am selfish, lazy, liar btw)
  • Options
    Funny that we are all talking about this, a few days ago there was a huge scandal involving the prime minister having dinner with massively rich Tory supporters.. that seesm to be forgotten about now
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I see that we've had the first serious injury reported as a result of this mess...

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-17560534

I wonder if Francis Maude will be sending any flowers?
  • Options
    I see that we've had the first serious injury reported as a result of this mess...

That's not a result of this mess - it's a result of bloody stupidity.

• Options
    That's exactly what I was about to say WSS

"The people were cooking their tea and dispensing petrol from a container to a glass jug."

What was she expecting to happen?
  • Options
    Ludicrous. A mate just said... candidate for a Darwin.
  • Options
    edited March 2012

That's not a result of this mess - it's a result of bloody stupidity.

Agreed of course but we have a lot of stupid and desperate people out there who don't understand that the vapour is extremely flammable and who should be nowhere near a spare can of petrol as advised by our government. She clearly thought that as long as she kept the petrol away from a naked flame there was no problem. Er...wrong.
  • Options
    Local BP garage has a sign up saying no fuel , went past tescos petrol station , 50 cars quequing up , 5 hours later the queue is even longer!
  • Options
    You can't blame the government because some idiot doesnt realise petrol fumes are flamable.

• Options
    You can't blame the government because some idiot doesnt realise petrol fumes are flamable.

Nope, but she wouldn't be messing around with it in the first place without their helpful advice would she?

• Options
    Presumably no-one is going to drive more so that they use up petrol to enable them to fill up again. It is too expensive to drive for the sake of it. We're therefore going to get to a point next week when fewer people will be filling up as their tanks are already full.

Hopefully this ridiculous strike will not take place and we'll all get back to normal again.