Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What comic did you read as a kid?

edited April 2012 in Not Sports Related
Not sure if this has been done before, but found an old book I've got about the history of comics and it jolted a few memories.
So my favourite was probably TV21, but I also dabbled with Sparky, the Beezer, Shoot and Scorcher.
TV21 had a front page like a newspaper, and featured mainly Gerry Andersen characters I believe.

Comments

• Options
    I got Buster, Hotspur and Victor every week.

Later joined by Shoot.

• Options
    Beezer. Colonel Blink, short-sighteed gink. Numskulls. Loved it all.
  • Options
    Oh and The Beano. Just for Plug!
    Also really liked Roger The Dodger and Billy Whiz.
    Was Hotspur the one that had that Sarge character who just used to run at the enemy and knock them flying, a sort of Paul Went with a tin hat! :-)
  • Options
    I liked Topper but looking back my two favourite characters "Desert Island Dick" and "Danny's Tranny" are not to be googled these days
  • Options
    Tiger & Jag. Football Family Robinson,Johnny Cougar,Skid Solo et al.
    Also loved the character Alf Supper-Tough of the Track. Can't remember which comic,Victor perhaps?
  • Options
    For me had to be Tiger and Scorcher followed by Roy of the Rovers
  • Options
    I loved Tiger, Shoot, Roy of the Rovers, Beano and Dandy. I always thought my dad looked like Desperate Dan.
  • Options
    Started with Pippin then moved onto Donald & Mickey. Brief flirtations with Beezer and Whizzer and Chips and Shiver and Shake.
  • Options
    Henry V111's joke book !
  • Options
    The Beano and Dandy. On a different note I was a Goal man instead of Shoot.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beano, Topper & Shoot
  • Options
    Beano, The Real Ghostbusters, The Big Comic, Viz. My brother got the Dandy, so we had it all sewn up.
  • Options
    The Eagle and The Beezer....deliverd every Tuesday morning.
    And every once in a while I'd do a swap with Andy (my mate across the road) for his Beanos and Dandys.
  • Options
    Slightly off topic but was anyone a fan of Nigel Molesworth too? :-) Searle died recently ( as any fule kno) but the Back in the Jug Agane and How to be Topp were great, and still are:-)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The Beano , Roy of the Rovers , Krazy comic ( which nobody remembers ) and Match magazine .
  • Options
    beano and dandy then as got older moved on to shoot magazine, then 442, and now all i buy is Viz.
  • Options
    T.V Comic (Muffin the Mule, Toytown, Hank the Cowboy etc.) & Rainow (the Bruin Boys.
    And progressed to:
    The Eagle, Hotspur, Wizard, Lion.
    My mum didn't really like my comics, and for a time I had to have something called 'The Children's Newspaper': the most boring thing I've ever read! (I was 35 at the time.)
    In later life used to nick my son's Tiger and Roy of the Rovers.
    My Dad had the first 150 issues of The Eagle bound into seven volumes and they are amongst my most treasured possessions. I recently saw on e-bay you can buy the first 156 issues on one DVD for under a fiver. Not the same though as turning those old pages to find out what happens next.
  • Options
    Shoot, and Roy of the Rovers
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Remember the league tables in Shoot? You'd spend ages updating them from the Sunday paper, fiddling about with those little tabs and then your Mum would tidy your room up, knock them on the floor and you'd have to start again.
  • Options
    Beano, Dandy, Topper, Beezer, Victor, Hornet, Valiant, Buster.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Beano. Still get the annuals every Christmas but never read them. They've changed all the artists now. Can't believe the price increase too!
  • Options
    Hotspur, Beano, Dandy, Victor and the little Commando magazines.
    Now i have a chuckle at my sons Horrible History books.
  • Options
    Dick Tracy, Hopalong Cassidy and a couple of others you've probably never heard of.
  • Options
    Roy o the Rovers, Shoot, Eagle. And any copies of Fiesta found in bus shelters, under bushes etc etc
  • Options
    Whizzer and Chips
    Shiver and Shake
    Buster
    Beano
    Dandy
    Nutty

And in later years... Oink

• Options
    Whizzer and Chips, Buster, Krazy, Whoopee and, for a short while, Wow.
    If memory serves, these were all made by the same people (while Beano, Dandy, Beezer etc were DC Thomson).
    Always thought the stories, jokes and drawings were better in these.
    My favourites were all drawn by, I think, a guy called Leo Baxendale. He used to do Sweeney Toddler amongst others. I liked him for the little touches like a smelly sock sitting on the path.
    Ahh....Childhood! Great days!
  • Options
    Yes, I'd forgotten about War Picture Library and Battler Britton etc. And The Comet. Were the Classics Illustrated classed as comics ?
  • Options
    Is my mind playing tricks on me but was there a shortlived comic/mag called the Onion Bag? And which Viz-style comic had a character called Timmy the Tampon? I can still draw him!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Shoot & Look In, plus any mags we could find the the woods.
  • Options
    beano and shoot