Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What comic did you read as a kid?

Comments

• Options
    I was a Beano lad me and the occassional Whizzer & Chips but mostly the Commando mags. Loved 'em and they are still producing them now.

Was pleased as punch when my old man was featured in one edition of Shoot with his non-league team too!
  • Options
    Which was, B.A?
  • Options
    He had a number March, I think the article was about Barking at the time.
  • Options
    Shoot
    Match
    Thomas the Tank Enguine
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    He had a number March, I think the article was about Barking at the time.
    I just wondered because when I lived in the area I used to watch Gravesend & Northfleet occasionally in the '60s & 70s and might have seen him play.
  • Options
    Wrong side of the water mate. Barking, East Ham, Clapton, Dagenham (but not Redbridge!)...all good non league sides in the day knocking around the Isthmian Leagues (spelling?) mainly.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Wrong side of the water mate. Barking, East Ham, Clapton, Dagenham (but not Redbridge!)...all good non league sides in the day knocking around the Isthmian Leagues (spelling?) mainly.
    Ah, not Southern League then: just wondered, cheers!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Remember the league tables in Shoot? You'd spend ages updating them from the Sunday paper, fiddling about with those little tabs and then your Mum would tidy your room up, knock them on the floor and you'd have to start again.
    Loved them. I think I still did them when I was about 19. I kept them as a momento & only chucked them out, when I got to about 45.
    Shoot League Ladders, how else would people know our highest gate was 75,031 against Aston Villa, that Northampton Towns heaviest defeat was 11-0 to Southampton in 1902 or that Chesterfields nickname was the Spireites....stuck to the headboard with chewing gum/blue tac so you could put Charlton at the top as you went to sleep...another thing getting married took away!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I used to hate it when the season ended and the whole mag was dedicated to the Home Internationals, Tiger had county cricket sides as their centre spread and Commando magazine would show speedway stars!

• Options
    Dandy & Beano
    Whizzer and Chips
    Monster Fun
    Shiver and Shake

and later, 2000AD - until my mum picked one up & read it! I had issues 1-about 60 in mint condition, with the toys - all in the bin.. Probably worth £100s now..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Roy Of The Rovers was my main comic of choice along with The Beano. The little Football Comic Libraries were great too! (They looked like a football version of Commando)

And in later years... Oink

Haha! Oink! I still have the first issue knocking around somewhere. It came with a 7" flexi-disc which had a track recorded by the 'cast'. More info about that here:

cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=12725.0
    Is my mind playing tricks on me but was there a shortlived comic/mag called the Onion Bag? And which Viz-style comic had a character called Timmy the Tampon? I can still draw him!
    The Onion Bag was great, I still have the video they released! There was also a cricket based comedy fanzine called "The Cricketers Anorak" around at the same time.
    There was also Sweet FA, another Viz-esque footie comic:

ebay.co.uk/itm/SWEET-FA-No-3-ADULT-FOOTBALL-COMIC-/310330584826

Oh, & not forgetting the shortlived Gary Linekers Hotshot:

• Options
    Valiant . Commando and lookin .
  • Options
    Just bumped into this old thread and I used to read the Commando war comics when I was a kid, erm, 50 odd years ago. This caused me to do a web search and I couldn't believe that not only are they still in production - up to around edition no 4600 - but they have increased output to 8 editions a month. There's also kindle and iPad versions of course!
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Just bumped into this old thread and I used to read the Commando war comics when I was a kid, erm, 50 odd years ago. This caused me to do a web search and I couldn't believe that not only are they still in production - up to around edition no 4600 - but they have increased output to 8 editions a month. There's also kindle and iPad versions of course!

I remember them in the mid-60s, quarter the size and much thicker than a normal comic - about the size of the Palace programme in those days.

Recently came across my old biscuit tin full of my childhood cigarette and tea cards.
    And right at the bottom was a Confederate States 2-dollar bill, given out with the American Civil War cards bubblegum pack.

Remember them?
  • Options
    Bunty .
  • Options
    A few...remember the Dandy and The Pipin....but SHOOT was my favourite, as a young lad I decorated one whole wall of my bedroom with the team photos in the centre pages.
  • Options
    Valiant (very appropriate). Raven on the Wing was my favourite storyline but also Captain Hurricane, Tupper of the Track. Used to keep them every week and occasionally have a giant read through one after the other to follow the stories without having to wait a week for the next installment.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

cafcfan said:

I remember them in the mid-60s, quarter the size and much thicker than a normal comic - about the size of the Palace programme in those days.

Recently came across my old biscuit tin full of my childhood cigarette and tea cards.
    And right at the bottom was a Confederate States 2-dollar bill, given out with the American Civil War cards bubblegum pack.

Remember them?
    Do you know, I think I do. Weren't they (for the day!) considered rather bloodthirsty, with soldiers' bodies hanging off wooden stakes and the like? Don't remember any Rebel money though.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Being a kid in the 60s, started with the Beano and an occasional Dandy, then moved up to TV21 and the Victor.
    Remember buying the very first issue of Sparky with it's free gift which made a bang or something.

Used to get given bundles of Beezers, Toppers, Eagles by cousins - and loads of the others, which I'd buy at jumble sales (remember them?) and stalls at school fetes, etc. Also we'd swap with mates those that we had read.

Still got Beano, Dandy, Topper, Beezer annuals which I've always kept. My lad loved reading them too.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sure I have mentioned this before - my dad was an artist illustrating strips for many of these comics (Beano, Dandy, Whizzer & Chips, Monster Fun, Cor! etc etc etc). He used to have piles of comics as tall as us in his studio - heaven as a kid.
  • Options
    Cheerful!
  • Options
    Victor. Arrived Sat morning. Could not wait.
  • Options
    edited March 2013

That's 'em, Cafcfan!

No namby pamby do-gooders in our day, right?

Us kids got the full gory works, haha
    cafcfan said:

Oggy Red said:

cafcfan said:

Remember them?
    Do you know, I think I do. Weren't they (for the day!) considered rather bloodthirsty, with soldiers' bodies hanging off wooden stakes and the like? Don't remember any Rebel money though.
    Got the 2-dollar bill right in front of me at this moment.
    Scanner's up the pictures - but I'll knock out a photo later to upload.

You're sure to remember them when you see it.
  • Options
    Beano and less so Dandy. Shoot and Charles Buchans football monthly
  • Options
    Tiger, Roy of Melchester Rovers. Soccer Star weekly football mag.
  • Options
    Oggy you are the first person I have ever known who remembers that banger thing from the Sparky:-) It used to go off like a cannon from what I remember! :-)
  • Options
    2000AD and Roy of the Rovers.

• Options
    edited March 2013

Bunty .

I used to read that as well Fanny. Also Jackie, Romeo and one I think was called Go Girl or something similar in the 60's?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Rover, Adventure, Beano and the Eagle .. I can remeber many of the characters and plots to this day .... I flew with Braddock, Dan Dare, Wally Brand .. I've read worse stuff written by supposed 'classic' authors