Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kevin Lisbie

I've just watched the FLS and was this young lad's turn, run and shot for Orient. He is going to be a real talent when he matures.

Any one agree?

Comments

• Yep, I do ..... I remember thinking that 15 years ago.
  • his no Sam
  • Shows great "potential"! Might go on to score a hat-trick vs Liverpool one day...
  • unfortunately Kevin is another mostly wasted talent. What great potential he had as a younger player, but I have the feeling that for some reason Lord Llewellyn never really fancied him.
  • Don't think Kevin was clever enough as a footballer to make it right to the top. Maybe a bit too easy going as well. Had a good career though.
  • unfortunately Kevin is another mostly wasted talent. What great potential he had as a younger player, but I have the feeling that for some reason Lord Llewellyn never really fancied him.
    To be fair Lincs he was on the payroll of a Premier League club for almost a decade, and he's had a long (15 year) career as a pro.

I think the injuries he had at the worst time (for him) didn't help. However I would say that our best run in the Premier League (from memory) was with Lisbie and Bartlett up front.

He just managed to be perceived as a young player with loads of potential for so, so long. He might even play for a few more seasons yet, I hope he does to be honest.
  • I've just watched the FLS and was this young lad's turn, run and shot for Orient. He is going to be a real talent when he matures.

Any one agree?
    Heard rumours we may put in a cheeky bid of half a million during the summer.
  • Career ruined by one injury after another at Charlton. Don't think he every played a full season during his 10 years with us. Very highly regarded by Lord Llewellyn, Paulo Di Canio, Len Glover myself and anyone else who knew a good player when they saw one.
  • had the talent , rarely used it
  • He did as well as he could of when he was with us. Every time he got a run in the team he picked up injuries. True enough he was never as good as Eusébio like some thought he should have been.But the coaching staff whos job it was though enough of him.
    I've seen a lot worse play for us even in the premiership.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good attributes, but terrible finsiher - think that always meant he wasn't good enough for the Premiership.

But for injuries, I think he'd have been a decent Division 1/Championship player for the majority of his career.
  • good player, but bottled gs opportunities - maybe a PdC signing in the summer?
  • Career ruined by one injury after another at Charlton. Don't think he every played a full season during his 10 years with us. Very highly regarded by Lord Llewellyn, Paulo Di Canio, Len Glover myself and anyone else who knew a good player when they saw one.
    Keith Peacock thought him a great talent - but questioned his comitment. When he was 16 he was thought to be Prem quality and a few looking at him. I willl never forget his hat trick against Liverpool - showed what he was capable of. If he had met DeCanio earlier in his career I think he would have been one of the best. Still very good at this level - and I hope he enjoyed helping us up because he was Charlton through and through. Still one of ours as far as I am concerned and love the fact he played a part in our promotion.

• http://www.lisbiescoutingagency.com/index.html
    I came across that website last week. Thought it was all a bit odd then and haven't changed my mind since. Not sure why exactly, just something isn't sitting right with me.
  • Lisbie's main problem was that he missed too many chances. He scored some quite brilliant goals, often from long distance, like the one he got against United yesterday, but then failed with the 'easier' ones. When he was one on one with the goalkeeper you'd never fancy him to score. Curbishley certainly gave him every chance to establish himself but may be the Premier League was just beyond him.
  • http://www.lisbiescoutingagency.com/index.html
    That is a very strange website, looks like he did it himself.
  • Charlton - 12 years 115 apps and 16 goals

we made an average player a very wealthy man for very little return !!
  • edited April 2012
    A great number of those appearance were as sub though.
    I believe he is the Charlton record holder for the number of substitute appearances.

I've said it before, so I might as well say it again ......to my mind, Lisbie had everything required of a top professional - except composure in front of goal.

Some players are just mentally stronger than others.
  • Always liked Lisbie, frustrating player sometimes, but he scored THAT hatrick!
  • Sponsored links:

• VERY unlucky with injuries. If he hadn't got injured during 03/04 season he would've notched a lot more goals.
  • He was a little bit short of ability to really set the world alight in the Premier League, but it is very difficult to keep a player at the club for that long with him not being given a run in the side. It's, in some respects, to his credit that he stuck by us while he was being called on for the odd sub/cameo appearance.

I suspect that he was earning a small wage by comparison to the other players in the Premier League, and bearing in mind his limited starts I think we can hardly complain. Take off the early years when he was, realistically, a youth player and if he averaged close to 30% of our games in the Premier League that's a decent return. He didn't score enough goals, but we couldn't afford a 20 goal a season player in that division, so we had to make do.

I think he's proved, since he left us, that he can score goals even if he's not prolific.

On the whole I think he has had a very good career, he has scored 72 league goals, which is approx 72 more than I got, and I suspect he has made much more money than most average Joe's too.

Also, I know we joke about it, but he did score a hat-trick against Liverpool, and that was at a time when they weren't actually rubbish. I seriously doubt that I will see another Charlton player score a hat-trick against any of the top four in the Premier League.
  • Really can't fathom the moods of ennui and detente to Lisbie; that's a polite way of putting it. He came through the ranks, worked hard if he played, and could be scintillating. Clearly had a lot of footballing talent, but was a player who in top first team football tried to play at a 100% speed and subsequently lost some touch and subtlety: early days he's always have his head down when broke one on one with the goalie.

I'd have liked to see him play with Iwelumo rather than the cf dross that was Gray and Varney in our return to the champ. If he'd have built up a head of steam at a smaller club earlier in his career, like he almost did at Colchester, I think he could have gone onto score 10-15 goals a season in the champ. That would be an excellent return for any footballer.

No doubt he earnt well, but gave better service than many who earnt better and cost a lot more.
  • edited April 2012
    I think Kevin was given several decent runs in the Charlton side, and can have little or no cause for complaint, that that he did not more than enough time and chance to establish himself.
    He also had the opportunity in those day's to play reserve football, not really afforded to today's players. I am sure the guy tried his best, but I always felt we gave more than we received, albeit the Liverpool hatrick. Sometimes there are missed chances in football, He seems to be held in high regard by some supporters, and after the Liverpool game I thought he would progress onwards, and be the player a lot of people fancied him to be. I am more 'baffled' by Kevin, than upset, still that is football.
  • edited April 2012
    Soon after that Liverpool game, and on a great scoring run, he got a serious injury.

Don't think he played again for the rest of the season.
    Hard to progress with setbacks like that.

Some things have to be put in perspective.
  • Soon after that Liverpool game, and on a great scoring run, he got a serious injury.

after that season curbs gave him the number 10 shirt i seem to remember. Thinking that despite the injury he could continue his scoring record.
  • Soon after that Liverpool game, and on a great scoring run, he got a serious injury.

Agreed Oggy, and I appreciate he had several injuries including the 'nose issue', but Liverpool was 2003, and he stayed a Charlton player till July 2007 if I am right, albeit on loan at several clubs. I think it was a mutual frustration that he could not break into the first team that this happened.
  • I've said it many times before, he was never a natural goalscorer, he was a support striker who opened up defences and chipped in with a few himself. Yann has said recently that he doesn't view himself as a goalscorer, more a support striker for BWP. Lisbie never had the luxury of playing alongside a BWP or a Darren Bent. Yann has netted 10 times and I'm confident that Lisbie would have scored a similar amount with as long a run of consecutive games without the interruption of injuries and at a higher level of football as well. If one views old season's DVD's it's very noticable just how many goals he made for his team mates. He suffered because his turn of speed and trickery got him into many one on one situations with keepers that he didn't quite have the composure to finish.
  • VERY unlucky with injuries. If he hadn't got injured during 03/04 season he would've notched a lot more goals.
    That's a fact is it ?
  • Where would we and Southampton and Newcastle be now if he'd had taken that chance at Watford?